Pro Wrestling Only

• 2 months later...

We get the first tease of the triple threat feud between the Bodies, R & Rs and Stud Stable. The Stud Stable were scheduled to face the Heavenly Bodies, and Cornette suggests calling off the match since there's no point now. They get in a few subtle digs at the Stable only being regional stars and the Stable responds by saying they still want to have the match to determine contenders. Entertaining stuff. Jim Cornette, Dutch Mantell and Robert Fuller arguing can't help but be amusing.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Cornette does not want to get into the ring for a 3-on-2 handicap match, because he's petrified of hurting the Rock 'n Roll Express. He's also incensed about the Bodies being signed to defend their tag titles against the Stud Stable, but Jim feels he can call that match off now that they no longer have the belts. But Fuller & Golden are eager to have a #1 contenders bout. Lane does a great job of being a duplicitous, passive-aggressive asskisser, congratulating the Studs for their "small time local" success as opposed to the Bodies' national exposure. Funny stuff. Dutch's association with the Stud Stable is spelled out for the first time on this Yearbook. Not much more entertaining than six heels all gladhanding each other and talking up sportsmanship.

• 1 month later...

Promoting Christmas Chaos with Bodies & Cornette vs. RNR in handicap match. Studd Stable out as Armstrong set up a match b/w them & Bodies, and Cornette wants to put that off now. Studd Stable wants to have it as #1 contenders match. Fuller's facials throughout this are great. Call me crazy but I'm more eager to see Fuller & Golden get involved in TV than another Cornette promo.

• 1 year later...

Dutch asks Cornette to give him some comments about the upcoming Christmas Chaos match and he says that it was bad enough that they ripped them off for the belts, but now they've gone to Bob Armstrong requesting a 3 on 2 handicap match. They've got to be crazy as there is no way that they can beat Stan and Tom together, much less with a man of his calibre in the ring. However he doesn't want to get in the ring; he's afraid that he may hurt them and get arrested, it's not that he's scared. He is also upset that Armstrong has signed a match between them and the Stud Stable where they were to defend the title belts against them, but has invited his good friends Robert Fuller and Jimmy Golden to join them. Cornette says that Armstrong set this up to try and cause trouble between them, but he knows that it's not going to work. He says that as they are no longer the champions there is no point in having the match as it would just be a waste of time. Robert Fuller says that there is no point in getting the Commissioner mad, lets go ahead and have the match and find out who the number one contender is Stanfield tells the Studs that even though they haven't had the national exposure that they have, he's admired them for a long time because they have been on top in the local small promotions and it would be a pleasure to wrestle them. Prichard says that if they are to have the match he knows it will be a good clean bout as the Bodies won't break the rules and he knows that they won't break them either. Cornette says that they live by sportsmanship and if they have the match that is what's going to take place, it's just a shame that Dutch won't be there to witness it. Dutch responds and says that he will be there as he is an associate member of the Stud Stable as you can see by his jacket. Cornette is a bit taken back by this and tells him he's admired him for years, but that he's taking too much on and to just stick to his commentary as he's doing great and that Bob Caulde would be nothing without him. Dutch states that he will be right across the ring from him and the Bodies and Cornette reluctantly offer their hands to the Stud Stable.

This was a fun segment and as awesome as Dutch has been on commentary this year it's nice to see him being featured prominently in an angle here. Lane's patronising and condescending digs at the Stud were hilarious and I'm looking forward to far more interplay between these six in the run up to the match.

• 7 months later...

The bologna is flowing thick and fast between these guys here. Even Stan shines, which he hasn't done often on the mic in SMW.

Before I put this on, I wondered which side would act like the faces, and I was shocked to see that it was the Studs. Not that I think they're turning for a second, but it was still hilarious to hear Robert talk about not wanting to make Bullet Bob mad at them. I also loved Corny's reaction to Dutch (and most likely Shoo Baby) being in the Studs' corner. Between the handicap match with Rock 'n' Roll and being counteracted by Dutch against the Studs, Corny's being neutralized at every turn. Are Stan and Dr. Tom enough of a team on their own to take care of business on two different and equally dangerous fronts? We're about ready to find out!

I thought it was funny at first that Dr. Tom went along with Stan and Corny's talk about national exposure, but then I remembered that USWA Texas was on ESPN, so that means that he's been on nationally just like them, although not for as long.

• GSR changed the title to [1992-12-05-SMW-TV] Down and Dirty: Jim Cornette