Pro Wrestling Only

CM Punk: Greatest Promo Ever

goodhelmet

• Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For comparison's sake, here are the other notable worked shoots of recent years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vswZ73WETpc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWnmYLW54YI

It's pretty interesting how Vince gives Paul Heyman or someone connected to him carte blanche to bury him and his product on one of his own shows every five years.

As long as they keep him off of TV until Chicago regardless of the outcome.

It is more Cena's lameo "I dont like what Punk said but I respect Punk's right to say it" shtick. A babyface would say that but I can only imagine how smarmy he is when he says that line.

But back to the promo him sitting down cross legged emphasising that he is being calm and rational about what he is saying was pretty great as was paying homage to Steve Austin with the shirt.

Wade blogged about it. He focuses on how it worked on a multiple levels to different types of fans. http://pwtorch.com/artman2/publish/wadekel...com/51085.shtml

The interesting thing about Punk's promo compared to the other two famous worked shoots is how personal this one is. The other two were more or less "sports entertainment sucks, wrestling 4 life", while Punk was calling the head of talent relations a douchebag and referring to Vince's idiot daughter and doofus son in law. Not to mention you have an actual wrestler doing the promo instead of an announcer or in Heyman's case an announcer/former promoter. All three of course were designed to perk the interest of the longtime fans who feel the current product no longer speaks to them, but there was something about Punk more or less calmly stating that he knows that WWE is all bullshit that seemed more genuine than Styles or Heyman screaming over stuff.

The spoilers for the second show weren't too bad. I mean, if we're going to go on the assumption that the angle is that Punk's promo was a shoot, then of course Vince/WWE would suspend him since that's what you'd expect the "real" reaction to be. I don't like the addition of the extra stipulation on Cena, but considering I don't expect it to come into play it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

I looked at the second set of tapings and died inside.

Agreed. But it doesn't detract from Punk's awesome promo though.

I shouldn't be surprised that the angle has somehow become more about Cena being possibly fired than Punk being the #1 in the feud. Only the WWE could create something so potentially awesome and castrate it with the very next episode. And people think Russo was/is bad. Vince has dumped ammonia into bleach too many times for it not to be accident anymore. Which besides the proverbial greatest promos of all-time thread that will likely be created at some point here, I think a thread should be devoted to all of the times Vince has caught the game winning pass only to drop it in the end zone because he has had a lot of those types of mistakes over the years.

The interesting thing about Punk's promo compared to the other two famous worked shoots is how personal this one is. The other two were more or less "sports entertainment sucks, wrestling 4 life", while Punk was calling the head of talent relations a douchebag and referring to Vince's idiot daughter and doofus son in law. Not to mention you have an actual wrestler doing the promo instead of an announcer or in Heyman's case an announcer/former promoter. All three of course were designed to perk the interest of the longtime fans who feel the current product no longer speaks to them, but there was something about Punk more or less calmly stating that he knows that WWE is all bullshit that seemed more genuine than Styles or Heyman screaming over stuff.

Or Pillman doing his best Johnny Rotten and gurning close up directly into the camera or any "I iz shooting now" Russo style promo.

Someone mentioned on twitter how awesome Punk using his AFI theme at MITB would be.

It's probably best to wait to see what it looks like on air, but I read it more as giving Cena extra motivation to make sure Punk doesn't leave with the belt since it was Cena going to bat for him to Vince. That wouldn't necessarily mean the focus was off of Punk.

It seems like June is usually the month where WWE likes to try something different as a shock to the system, that they give up on before too long:

June 2005: ECW One Night Stand

June 2006: ECW on Sci Fi debuts

June 2007: Vince McMahon's limo blows up

June 2008: Raw set collapses, paralyzing Vince

June 2010: Nexus debuts

June 2011: Punk shoot promo

(I'm sure something crazy happened in June 2009, but I can't remember what it was right now)

They all seemed like cool, revolutionary things at the time, but before too long, it was business as usual. ECW was pretty much forgotten until a year later, ECW on Sci Fi basically became the new Velocity after a few months, Chris Benoit dying kind of ended the limo explosion, I don't think they ever did anything to explain what happened when the Raw set collapsed, and the Nexus was just another group after a few months. It seems like they always get to the same point this time of year, "Hey, we really need to do something to shake up the show, it's getting really stale," and then after a week or two, they backtrack on the whole thing.

I think my favorite promo was Bret breaking up the Davey vs Owen match. It's as much old school corny carny as new school workshootfabe, which for some reason makes it hold up better than all the more famous "I'm Shooting Now, Brother" bullshit. Owen breaking down crying... and almost laughing because the stuff is so good but trying to hold his shit together in crying mode. Then the total icing on the cake: the group hug, the fans booing their asses off, Bret looking up from the group hug out at the crowd with that "Yeah, exactly what I'm talking about" look.

I think it opens Disc 4 on Will's HF '97 set. We played it at a KOC, wondering if it held up after all these years... and we were floored by how cool "pro wrestling" it still was.

Give me that any day over Punk taking a (deserved) crap on the WWE.

John

For comparison's sake, here are the other notable worked shoots of recent years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vswZ73WETpc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWnmYLW54YI

It's pretty interesting how Vince gives Paul Heyman or someone connected to him carte blanche to bury him and his product on one of his own shows every five years.

Does anyone have a line on the longer, unedited version of the Heyman promo?

Probably easy to do since Punk already was sitting on his ass in the promo.

Wouldn't Punk be the Charlie Brown in the scenario?

Charlie is the one who ends up bumping on his ass:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

:)

But of course the real Charlie Browns here are the fans who liked this. They think it will lead somewhere for Punk, and instead the football will be pulled away.

John

I do wonder if it was totally unscripted with Production not having a clue what was coming, why the cameras had the perfect shot for Punk's waves to the folks at home? Was this a taped show with post production where all the cameras were rolling and they could cut it together picking out the best shots?

John

Possibly. Taping in Vegas, Raw'd start at 6 to go live, right? Going live with the first show, they're wrapping 10-10:30 assuming they run some things short and pad the 2:15 out with the ad breaks on the second show. That's not too late for them to do it, but, IIRC, when they did the double in LA (?) last year they started about 45-minutes early.

As far as the idea of it being off the cuff, I have a hard time believing he didn't run a script by Vince/etc. The cut-off was far too perfect. He walked the line a bit too well. It's one thing to name-drop NJ and ROH, but lines like "I thought the company would be better off when Vince dies" or "he's a millionaire not a billionaire", you're just not going to say them on WWE TV without getting the OK.