Pro Wrestling Only

Tony Schiavone and early 90s WCW announcing

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After watching some 2003 ROH, I don't think anyone is more annoying than Sapolsky as "Chris Lovey." He just recycles the same thoughts show after show, almost word for word.

"There's no telling how good Special K could be if they got serious. But they only care about drugs and going to raves."

"The Prophecy wants to rebuild ROH in their own image."

"CM Punk is straight edge, if you're sitting at home drinking a beer or smoking a bowl, then he think he's better than you!"

"Shining Wizard!" (anytime anyone does any sort of knee strike).

"Scramble Matches are only one fall, there's no 'I'll let him get the pin and just get the next one'"

"Matt Stryker is part of the top 5 ranking system, it's an honor to even be listed among the top 5 athletes in ROH."

"Don't forget that great match of the year candidate that wrestler X had with wrestler Y at show Z."

I was watching the Best of Nitro DVD set again and boy oh boy, Mongo just might be the worst announcer ever. I remember switching to RAW a hell of a lot because I couldn't take him anymore.

Agreed.

Now, who's the worst one-shot announcer ever? My pick is Elvira at WrestleMania 2, but I'm curious about others' thoughts.

Part of me has always theorized that one reason why WCW started to decline was Eric leaving the announcer's booth. He was the only one who knew what was going on in advance a lot of the times and where things were supposed to be going, so while he wasn't a good announcer by any means, he was able to convey the storyline, even when what was going on didn't make a whole lot of sense. He could tell us what it was SUPPOSED to mean.

Who was commentating on finger poke of doom with Tony and Bobby? He's the worst announcer of all time.

Eric Bischoff.

I may have this confused, but the guy I have in mind is INCREDILBY annoying, doesn't stay quite for a minute, sounds like he's on coke, whiny voice.

He was on one of the clips from the recent Kevin Nash Legends of Wrestling NWO show. Thought it was Fingerpoke.

Only reason I'm second guessing myself is that there are times when Bischoff was an ok commentator and he didn't sound like this guy who I have in mind.

It was definitely Bischoff. He stayed silent the entire episode, then went crazy after the Fingerpoke and is the one who made the taser noises.

Well, not the whole episode. When Tony and Bobby were talking the Goldberg/Elizabeth stalking angle he said "Jailbird" but yeah, other than that he didn't make a peep.

Part of me has always theorized that one reason why WCW started to decline was Eric leaving the announcer's booth. He was the only one who knew what was going on in advance a lot of the times and where things were supposed to be going, so while he wasn't a good announcer by any means, he was able to convey the storyline, even when what was going on didn't make a whole lot of sense. He could tell us what it was SUPPOSED to mean.

I liked some things about Bischoff as an announcer. He didn't pretend WCW existed in a vacuum. For example, I thought trying to get over how dangerous Lex Luger's forearm was during his initial run with Hogan by mentioning it KO'd Yokozuna was a nice bit of continuity.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh god.

I just heard a Rivera/Mr. X PTW match with Gorilla/Red Lyons announcing where he went on about how too many wrestlers were going to the chinlock and how it wasn't effecitve unless you had a big weight advantage. And if they were just "stalling for time" or what.

Also, later on he was knocking the side headlock a lot, but then claimed the front facelock to be incredibly devastating. Funny stuff.

I think that people's big problem with Monsoon is that he was wildly different in the mid 80s than he was in 89-91.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been toying with the idea of delving into ECW Hardcore TV next year. My biggest problem with this... Joey Styles. Is it just me or does he kind of come across like a smarmy douche? I remember liking him back in the 90s but he just annoys the piss out of me now. Sometimes I really wish I could just reach through the screen and smack the smug expression off his face.

I've been toying with the idea of delving into ECW Hardcore TV next year. My biggest problem with this... Joey Styles. Is it just me or does he kind of come across like a smarmy douche? I remember liking him back in the 90s but he just annoys the piss out of me now. Sometimes I really wish I could just reach through the screen and smack the smug expression off his face.

I thought Joey was pretty refreshing at the start. Half smarky douche, half candid. Did an excellent job of putting the workers over and explaining the angles. His play by play wasn't that good though, and as soon as they went on PPV he was exposed. Styles really only became a total smarky douche in 97/98. From there he got kinda annoying and came off more arrogant than anything else. He also had a terrible fake laugh.

That said, nothing is worse than Joel Gertner on TNN. Just unbearable.