Ric Flair (sigh)

• Please log in to reply
713 replies to this topic

#41 Victator

Victator
  • Members
  • 1310 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 03:22 PM

Should Republican political candidates be associating themselves with an alleged rapist?

They don't do that for the candidates so why should Ric be any different.

But seriously the key word is alleged. People gloss over that word too often.

#42 WrestlingPower

WrestlingPower
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 451 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 03:53 PM

With all the road stories you hear from the 80s of guys getting away with stuff due to giving cops autographs, pictures, tickets, whatever, of all people I'm sure this article could be three times as long with the stuff he never got charged with. A friend of mine was a cop in Chapel Hill within the last 5 years & says they would routinely get calls to haul Flair out of a bar & tell him to go home.

#43 rovert

rovert
  • Banned
  • 2903 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 05:12 PM

Wrestling icon Ric Flair is FURIOUS over an article which claims the Nature Boy is suffering from a serious medical condition caused by years of hardcore boozing ... because Ric claims it's NOT TRUE and now he's threatening to sue.

The unflattering article -- which paints Flair as a troubled, irresponsible mess of a person -- ran on an ESPN affiliated website called Grantland.com ... and the report is mostly based on court documents.

But Flair is particularly pissed about the reporter's claim that he suffers from Alcoholic Cardiomyopathy -- a disease caused by years of alcohol abuse which often leads to heart failure.

A rep for Flair -- -- whose real name is Richard Fliehr -- tells TMZ, "While the information gleaned from courthouse records may be credible, Mr. Fliehr is currently evaluating his legal options with respect to falsehoods in the story, specifically the untrue statement that he suffers from alcoholic cardiomyopathy."

The rep adds, "Our client understands that these allegations are part of the territory when you are not only famous, but a living legend."

http://www.tmz.com/2...nd-bill-simmons

#44 Dooley

Dooley
  • Members
  • 705 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 05:32 PM

It just keeps getting funnier.

#45 jdw

jdw
  • Members
  • 8040 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 05:53 PM

Looking at the book Bix cited:

Ric Flair: To be the Man, by Ric Flair, Keith Elliot Greenberg, Mark Madden (page 427)

"Through my many years of partying, I also developed something called "alcoholic cardiomyopathy", a weakening of the heart muscles. [...] Initially, I thought that steroids might be responsible, but the doctor dismissed this theory. My heart was fluttering from thirty-five years of hitting it hard."
-Ric Flair

Ric may want to tell his reps about this.

John

#46 rovert

rovert
  • Banned
  • 2903 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 05:56 PM

I heard drinking causes memory loss :lol: I guess Flair will blame that passage on Keith Elliot Greenberg

#47 jdw

jdw
  • Members
  • 8040 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 06:00 PM

I hope someone tweets that Flair book link to the Author, Simmons and TMZ so they can all have a good laugh. It's long been a little secret that Ric's become sad and pathetic: we know it, his friends who give a shit know it, people in NC close to him or following the stories know it. But now Ric's become nationally sad and pathetic, and his response to it was to contradict his own autobiography. Anymore pathetic than that? John

#48 jdw

jdw
  • Members
  • 8040 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 06:04 PM

I guess Flair will blame that passage on Keith Elliot Greenberg

Can't be his homeboy Mark Madden's fault, and Ric would never have intentionally lied in his book (the best wrestling book of all-time up to that point)... so it has to be Greenberg. Ric never wanted him on the project anyway. ;)

John

#49 rovert

rovert
  • Banned
  • 2903 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 06:14 PM

kjh chooses a great accompanying picture:
http://www.cagesides...made-in-his-own

#50 jdw

jdw
  • Members
  • 8040 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 06:25 PM

Good piece, Keith. :) John

#51 Victator

Victator
  • Members
  • 1310 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 07:07 PM

My feelings on Flair are this. For over thirty years Flair lived life his way doing what he wanted when he wanted. By all rights he should be dead. He got to live his dream times a 1,000. Most people never get that, So who gives a shit if he is in debt. Anybody loaning him money should know what they are getting into. His kids, wives, friends got to ride that wave for a long fucking time. Hell the wives are still riding it with no risk of crashing. There are a lot worse places to be at 65 than Ric Flair is.

#52 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43387 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 08:28 PM

I would imagine the kids of wrestlers like Jake Roberts, Lex Luger, Scott Hall and probably Flair would probably not say they were riding any kind of wave in their childhoods. It's one of those things that may seem sort of cool at first, but I always imagined the life of a kid whose dad is a wrestler is filled with far more downside than upside. There are exceptions of course, but we know about a lot of kids who have been subject to some crummy things.

#53 NintendoLogic

NintendoLogic

Grim and frostbitten

• Members
  • 2661 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 08:33 PM

Someone should ask Ric if he remembers grinding his feet on Eddie Murphy's couch.

I would imagine the kids of wrestlers like Jake Roberts, Lex Luger, Scott Hall and probably Flair would probably not say they were riding any kind of wave in their childhoods. It's one of those things that may seem sort of cool at first, but I always imagined the life of a kid whose dad is a wrestler is filled with far more downside than upside. There are exceptions of course, but we know about a lot of kids who have been subject to some crummy things.

Jake Roberts is actually an interesting case given his own relationship with his father. Grizzly Smith was an absentee alcoholic who never smartened up his kids and made them think his in-ring injuries were real. And his taste in girls made Jerry Lawler look like the MILF Hunter.

#54 Victator

Victator
  • Members
  • 1310 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 09:04 PM

Lots of kids get drunks for dads and they don't get the upside of him being rich and famous.

#55 Guest_Slickster_*

Guest_Slickster_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2011 - 12:23 AM

They're called background checks for a reason.
Again, whose fault is it? I mean, I understand what you're getting at, but I don't think you quite understand. Flair, as you say, = money in the Carolina's.

My point was that these politicians, state governments, and sports teams that throw money at him are associating themselves with someone who has an unsavory record a mile long. I doubt any NC state employee or state politician could have this kind of record of financial mismanagement and keep their job.

I honestly think that these Carolinas organizations that affiliate with him don't do their research.
He didn't kill anyone, spend any significant time in jail, or go through a messy public divorce that made the cover of gossip magazines.
His record flies under the radar.

I wasn't saying these Carolinas organizations have been duped by Ric Flair.
I was just questioning their choice of Ric Flair as a pitchman for their products.

#56 Guest_Paul Kersey_*

Guest_Paul Kersey_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2011 - 02:24 AM

TV's Best Looking Big Man has posted his anticipated defence of Flair

#57 smkelly

smkelly
  • Members
  • 1154 posts
  • Interests:Zombies, writing, professional wrestling, writing about zombies, German Shepherds, and Internet message boards.

Posted 27 August 2011 - 03:30 AM

Madden, you're an idiot, always have been

There's the way I defended Flair and then there is that way to defend Flair.

Wow.

#58 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43387 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 03:56 AM

Lots of kids get drunks for dads and they don't get the upside of him being rich and famous.

I was responding to your point that Flair's kids have benefitted.

#59 Jingus

Jingus
  • Members
  • 2583 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 04:47 AM

Wow.

Yeesh. That was just sad. At points in the article, he's literally reduced to saying "he's RIC FLAIR, he can do whatever he wants!" I hardly needed another reason to hate Mark Madden, but there ya go.

#60 El-P

El-P
  • Members
  • 8733 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 05:12 AM

Wow.

Yeesh. That was just sad. At points in the article, he's literally reduced to saying "he's RIC FLAIR, he can do whatever he wants!" I hardly needed another reason to hate Mark Madden, but there ya go.

Yep. Madden was just unbearable on WCW TV, glad to see he kept himself at that level.

"Doesn’t matter. At the end of the day, he’s still RIC FLAIR. If you don’t understand the magnitude of that, you’re not qualified to judge, anyway."
When I see or hear about Flair in 2011, the word MAGNITUDE isn't the first one which comes to my mind.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users