Pro Wrestling Only

Ric Flair (sigh)

5 hours ago, sek69 said:

Not to mention any promoter who books a 73 year old with his medical history to wrestle should be banned from ever promoting wrestling again.

I’m not worried about that. For a promoter to do something like that, they would have to be seriously unethical. And who has ever heard of an unethical Pro Wrestling promoter?

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His last match was against Sting in TNA in 2011. HIs last *good* match was against Jay Lethal in July of 2010. 

Since it's supposed to be his actual last match and making a rather big deal out of it, I wonder if the family will be there. With Charlotte taking a leave of absence from WWE for her wedding, it would be something to see her and Andrade next to Ric and FTR...

17 minutes ago, Robert S said:

So two people around 70 with a history of heart issues? What could go wrong... How about making it an eight man tag and adding Jerry Lawler and Bill Eadie?

Who else has heart issues? From what I remember Steamboat had some kind of head or neck issue that caused WWE to stop using him. 

If this does end up being the match, it will probably be fine since everyone involved can do a basic enough match with their famous spots and no one watching will be disappointed. My concern is if the match is generally well received, Ric will get a wild hair to keep doing it.

27 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Who else has heart issues? From what I remember Steamboat had some kind of head or neck issue that caused WWE to stop using him.

Ok, I misremembered that, still, this has bad idea written all over it. Robert Gibson also was not very mobile last I saw him, so Ricky Morton had to work for three people.

2 hours ago, sek69 said:

He suffered from brain bleeding due to a burst capillary when the Nexus beat him up. And Jake Roberts implied a while back that he suffered lingering issues from the DDT on the concrete. If anything, that makes putting him in a match an even worse idea.

8 hours ago, El-P said:

At Starrcast ? So is the son-in-law somehow involved ? 

Rumours have been rampant for quite some time now that Conrad made some sort of deal with the Crockett family about running some sort of new promotion involving the Crockett name, Conrad‘s money and Jarrett and Bischoff running things behind the scenes.

I could be wrong but I don’t think it’s going to happen for one damn minute. I think Conrad is just enjoying the speculation on social media. You can say what you want about Conrad Thompson, but the man is not stupid with his money. He has proven very adapt at making money from Pro Wrestling fans, not blowing it.  I think he knows that unless he’s planning on promoting the odd one off Indy supershow combined with his Starrcast conventions, he would lose his ass on something like that. He could do the odd independent show at his events and make money with it, especially because he already has a pre-existing deal with FITE. I have even seen it speculated that Conrad secretly owns a piece of FITE although I don’t know how true that is.

I like Bischoff and Jarrett a hell of a lot more than most people around here. I even think they might still have some thing to contribute to the business, but even I think that would be a colossally stupid idea.

2 hours ago, The Thread Killer said:

Rumours have been rampant for quite some time now that Conrad made some sort of deal with the Crockett family about running some sort of new promotion involving the Crockett name, Conrad‘s money and Jarrett and Bischoff running things behind the scenes.

I could be wrong but I don’t think it’s going to happen for one damn minute. I think Conrad is just enjoying the speculation on social media. You can say what you want about Conrad Thompson, but the man is not stupid with his money. He has proven very adapt at making money from Pro Wrestling fans, not blowing it.  I think he knows that unless he’s planning on promoting the odd one off Indy supershow combined with his Starrcast conventions, he would lose his ass on something like that. He could do the odd independent show at his events and make money with it, especially because he already has a pre-existing deal with FITE. I have even seen it speculated that Conrad secretly owns a piece of FITE although I don’t know how true that is.

I like Bischoff and Jarrett a hell of a lot more than most people around here. I even think they might still have some thing to contribute to the business, but even I think that would be a colossally stupid idea.

Conrad using the name JCP for one-offs is really all he needs. He can pop a number for conventions without ever trying to do more than that.

9 hours ago, The Thread Killer said:

Yeah, sounds like complete bullshit. Jarrett is working AAA again and has been really fun in GCW. I really hope he shows up at Slammiversary too, and honestly I wouldn't mind a short stint in AEW, as the Last Cowboy gimmick he's been doing is kinda cool. Bischoff, oh well, at this point apart from gathering paychecks for cameos on Smackdown, the guy is useless. Funny how he was supportive of AEW, and even got paychecks from them, until they kinda got a bit too successful I guess.

I don’t know if this is urban legend, but wasn’t Buddy Rogers scheduled to wrestle again shortly before he died? I remember reading somewhere that he was supposed to have a match against Buddy Landell on some indie show.

EDIT: Yeah, I googled it and apparently in 1992 at 71 years old, Buddy Rogers was scheduled to face off with Buddy Landell in a “Battle of the Nature Boys” but the promoter went out of business, and Buddy Rogers died a couple of months later before it could be rescheduled.

So apparently, the moral of the story is, if your nickname is Nature Boy you are destined to be cursed with an overwhelming desire to wrestle once you pass the age of 70, I guess.

8 hours ago, El-P said:

Yeah, sounds like complete bullshit.

Honestly, I think the whole rumour originated because some AFS subscribers asked Conrad during an AMA that since he now has so many big names working with him and so many connections in the business, would he ever consider promoting his own show, and he gave them the old “never say never” answer which started the speculation. But then Jarrett and Bishoff both fed into it and have been dropping hints about it on social media. But as I said I am sure it is mostly done in jest.

Conrad is all in, or would be if that name wasn’t already taken. 

https://itrwrestling.com/news/conrad-thompson-ric-flair-in-ring-return/

the Lawler comparison I can see, but Undertaker isn’t as old or had as serious of health problems. Neither has Vince McMahon even though he’s older. If they are going to do it hopefully it is one last match only for Ric and he makes it through ok. 

What a carny. JCP did not "go away", it was bought and turned into WCW. The idea that people really need to "say goodbye" to Jim Crockett Promotion in 2022 is so laughable and transparent. Anyhoo. They're gonna do a roast of Ric Flair too. Should bring Tommy Dreamer in, so he can say "Hey, I almost lost my job for making light of you being a sex abuser.".

2 hours ago, Flyin' Brian said:

the Lawler comparison I can see

Ancient Lawler matches have him sell in the corner and throw punches and pull on heartstrings but not actually bump. 

Flair will insist on getting tossed off the top.