Ric Flair (sigh)

• Please log in to reply
776 replies to this topic

#761 dawho5

dawho5
  • Members
  • 3853 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 12:15 AM

So what we are saying is that daddy issues can cause the next generation to go through daddy issues?  Shocking. :)

#762 Victator

Victator
  • Members
  • 1479 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 01:27 AM

A lot of bizarre psychoanalysis from a 20-second clip of David Flair.

As for Hogan and Flair, didn't Hogan pay for one of Flair's surgeries or some other big expense? So, yeah, I believe Hogan. I think he and Flair are genuine friends now. 

Well I feel I pointed out that a lot could have been edited out that changes the context. Shit I think I said it twice. 

Fair enough, but what I think is more worthy of psychoanalysis is that Flair's parents were very distant with him and Flair (apparently) ended up being the same kind of dad to his own kids.

Its more Flair won't even acknowledge how his parents treated him. His first wife brought it up and got how much it hurt him. 

Based on his book it really bothered him how tight his dad was with money. While at the same time never saying anything bad about him. His mentality was he was an embarrassment to them. 

I think he took the mentality of he gave his kids every material thing they wanted. In his mind making him better than his dad. 

#763 Hawkeye12

Hawkeye12
  • Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 12:37 PM

As for Hogan and Flair, didn't Hogan pay for one of Flair's surgeries or some other big expense? So, yeah, I believe Hogan. I think he and Flair are genuine friends now. 

Hogan paid to send Reid to rehab when he almost died the first time. 

#764 Tim Cooke

Tim Cooke
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 1548 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 05:51 PM

Anyone have an approximate month/year for this promo?

http://www.vimeo.com/244710480

#765 Victator

Victator
  • Members
  • 1479 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 06:02 PM

Hogan paid to send Reid to rehab when he almost died the first time. 

He also chartered a plane to visit Flair after Reid passed. 

#766 Tim Cooke

Tim Cooke
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 1548 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 09:31 PM

Anyone have an approximate month/year for this promo?

http://www.vimeo.com/244710480

11-28-87 WCW TBS Studio after clip of Flair getting the title back against Garvin

#767 iamthedoctor

iamthedoctor
  • Members
  • 1056 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 04:09 AM

I actually think Hogan was genuine in his praise. He was specifically asked if Flair was better in the ring, not if he was better all-around.

I thought it was just Hogan being Hogan.  Knowing what to say to babyface himself to the audience that would be watching a Ric Flair show. Image rehabilitation.

I always felt Hogan was a better wrestler (Not in ring work) than Flair anyway. Hulk did great in Japan and his big push in WWE and I just don't see Flair as popular as that during his run inb the NWA.

#768 flyonthewall2983

flyonthewall2983
  • Members
  • 2789 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 07:12 AM

You couldn't really market the Ric Flair persona the way WWF did Hogan's. It's natural setting is as a heel persona, up against an uber-babyface personality that a company would put that weight behind. After seeing the doc I feel the question of who was better is a bit nebulous at best. Just beyond any sort of athletic or physical capabilities, one couldn't do what the other excelled at. Hogan epitomized the 80's version of clean living to an extent, to the adulation of his audience (mostly children, taken with the super-human element). Flair epitomized, to an audience that was primarily of a lower financial strata, everything that they loathed and envied the 1% for.

That was at least the aim of what they did. Young men of a certain age, either having grown out of or just not interested at all in what Hogan was doing, looked at Flair as the ideal. Surrounded by beautiful women, wearing the nicest stuff, topped off with the bravado that comes from knowing you're the best. At the time Flair came to the WWF, I don't think Vince ever really took that into account. I won't say that Flair's work suffered for it, he managed to keep true to the character as much as possible. But that Vince's tunnel-vision couldn't allow something like the dream match with Hogan to happen as much as anything else. 

#769 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43797 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 08:41 AM

Also, Ric Flair in 1991 was a bit damaged compared to the Flair they would have gotten had they signed him three years earlier or five years earlier. Flair was more believable playing the role in his 30s than he was in his 40s, and while he was still a great performer, he was not quite at the same level he was in the late 80s. Crockett was the smaller group, but I don't think they were ever seen as the loser group. WCW was seen as the loser group, and Flair was the face of it for a few years.

#770 flyonthewall2983

flyonthewall2983
  • Members
  • 2789 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 10:20 PM

Coupled with that, the company itself was about to take some major damage too. July 1991 is just when the Zahorian stuff was making it into the press, and also when Hogan made that awful appearance on Arsenio Hall, denying he took steroids. In the long-range view of things, signing one of the most recognizable wrestlers outside of their promotion took a backseat. 

#771 flyonthewall2983

flyonthewall2983
  • Members
  • 2789 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 06:35 PM

According to Bill Simmons and director Jason Hehir on the latest episode of Simmons' podcast, this was shot just hours before he fell into his coma.

#772 shodate

shodate

Anarchist of PWO

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 08:16 PM

Flair is his peak was the best in the world   1980-1994  based on consistency  alone   if not match quilty   he was put with alot of shit workers  sting  luger  Nikita and dusty  and  pulled  ok matches from them  but  the last  almost decade and 1/5  of his active time knocks him  down  im sorry hos match wiih HBK was   passable at best   based on age alone alot of people aged better than Ric  Fujiwara  for exmaple  there about the same age and  Aoki vs Fujiwara was my match of the year last year and hes nigh on 70 so yes   thta shows in my euys  Ric  sdaly never  aged  well in ring wise  

#773 Victator

Victator
  • Members
  • 1479 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 08:26 PM

Minus Nikita arguably, they were not shit workers. Sting and Lex were green and Dusty was outright good. 

#774 shodate

shodate

Anarchist of PWO

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 03:18 AM

Minus Nikita arguably, they were not shit workers. Sting and Lex were green and Dusty was outright good. 

i never saw sting as good, 

dusty was good talker but i care not about talking  about pure technique  its ok for you have youre vires and me to have mine this is like the lawler  debate i had with matt D   and yes i like brawlers  but  dusty is not even top  ten in that people like morgan  were  far better  at that 

luger had  the look that is all  

or a better way  see  why  i do not see  dusty as  good wroker is  look at my top 20  workers of all time list  and  you will see what i think makes a good worker 

#775 Edwin

Edwin
  • Members
  • 1030 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 08:47 AM

Flair is his peak was the best in the world   1980-1994  based on consistency  alone   if not match quilty   he was put with alot of shit workers  sting  luger  Nikita and dusty  and  pulled  ok matches from them  but  the last  almost decade and 1/5  of his active time knocks him  down  im sorry hos match wiih HBK was   passable at best   based on age alone alot of people aged better than Ric  Fujiwara  for exmaple  there about the same age and  Aoki vs Fujiwara was my match of the year last year and hes nigh on 70 so yes   thta shows in my euys  Ric  sdaly never  aged  well in ring wise  

Sure, but Fujiwara and rarely if anyone worked the schedule Ric worked, so that's not really a fair comparison...

#776 shodate

shodate

Anarchist of PWO

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 10:36 AM

Sure, but Fujiwara and rarely if anyone worked the schedule Ric worked, so that's not really a fair comparison...

then again how many of flair macnes in his prime  were jobber squashes on tv  while in  his prime   I don't think  Fujiwara on tape  that was under 10 minus   so  take one give one IMO  

and  also  carry jobs  Fujiwara has  none  so that  keep is av match ratings up  around  4 stars   of falir based on what i have seen of ric   yes i said he was contstsaty   but that is  never dropping below a three star match  minus the  sting  luger and Nakita match withc were carry  jobs  witch i od not  rate highly   for  reasons mention  previously

iv seen all of Fujiwara UWF tha is on tape   and  that was  solid **** -****3/4  and few fives     why  cause based  o what  have seen  all matches looed like they were between equals  best vs best   to  me in ring presentation over the booking that  matters more in this   and  sting luger  dusty Nakita  over all were never on ric level  on that 20 x 20   so ivmy  eyes  they should never have been in the ring with him  

before  you say sting and luger were green   while that may be true yes  need i bring up ages  of   ajw  top carder in the 1980's   your either worthy of the main event or your not  is all I'm saying  and  sing and luger  never  were  imho   ready for that main event  based on how  i judge workers   all these  debates go   its depends how  x or y person judges or x or y  worker and what  system they  themselves use 

#777 Victator

Victator
  • Members
  • 1479 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 11:06 AM

Flair did not work TV squashes that often. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users