Guys you "should" like but don't?

• Please log in to reply
152 replies to this topic

#141 ohtani's jacket

ohtani's jacket
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 5970 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 06:52 PM

One day you'll have your eyes opened like Saul on the road to Damascus.

#142 jdw

jdw
  • Members
  • 8040 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 03:12 AM

Paul was a con man. Why would anyone wish that upon Jerome? John

#143 Jingus

Jingus
  • Banned
  • 2583 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 04:07 AM

I thought of another guy I never understood the appeal of: Kanyon. For years, we kept hearing about how awesome this guy was and how much potential he had. But, where are the matches? For a guy who seemed physically talented, he had the unfortunate problem of having no idea of how to lay out a structure.

#144 Chess Knight

Chess Knight
  • Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 04:33 AM

I don't get any praise Kanyon gets either. Furthermore I never understood why Sean O'Haire was viewed as a "missed oppurtunity," honestly I think he just sucked.

#145 El-P

El-P

NFLTG

• Members
  • 10041 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 04:54 AM

Paul was a con man. Why would anyone wish that upon Jerome?

John

Some think I'm preaching to the Nise Kami no UWF, Nobuhiko Takada.
Damn Fujiwaraesque heretics... They can twist it any way they can, Takada turned Gary Allbright into fine wine, and forgave Vader. And he sacrified himself in the Tokyo Dome for the good of Pride and japanese MMA...

#146 flairchops

flairchops
  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 07:59 AM

I think Kanyon was praised for having a variety of moves, but I honestly don't remember if he ever actually did. I also can't think of any great Kanyon matches. I did enjoy the Jersey Triad stuff with DDP and Bam Bam.

#147 EricR

EricR
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 856 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 01:04 PM

This may sound like an odd reason for liking Kanyon but I can say that among my friends, we ALL liked Kanyon because he was really fun to play as in WCW/NWO: Revenge for the N64. He had a bunch of strikes and moves that were unique to his character. So then we would all look forward to seeing him, to see if he would do any of those moves. It may sound stupid, but we were only 15, and I'm sure there were a lot of people out there that were only 15 and I know that game sold TONS of copies. I even remember reading it sold more than No Mercy and Wrestlemania 2000, which blows me away since it seemed like everybody had those two games. Of course, the game also made me excited to see Glacier, as he also had really fun combos in the game, and the Cryonic Kick was one of the most fun moves to hit in the game (along with Goldberg's Spear).

#148 Bix

Bix
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 6360 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 02:01 PM

IMO Kanyon finally put everything together by his WWE/OVW run, where he was much more well rounded. He was less about innovative spots, just a very good working utility heel.

#149 Mad Dog

Mad Dog
  • Members
  • 5766 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:32 PM

His Positively Kanyon gimmick was the only reason to even bother with WCW in the summer of 2000. Him randomly giving the Diamond Cutter to people backstage was always good for a laugh.

I still get a pretty good laugh out of that one.

#150 NintendoLogic

NintendoLogic

Grim and frostbitten

• Members
  • 3081 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 11:04 AM

I'm not really feeling Blue Panther. It's not the style, because I can get into guys like Dandy and Navarro. But Panther leaves me cold for some reason. When I watch him I do his thing, I think "Yep, that sure is some quality matwork all right", but nothing really knocks my socks off.

#151 Mr. Lacelle

Mr. Lacelle
  • Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:24 PM

I never got into Tommy Rich or Eddie Gilbert, they simply never did anything for me. It may have been due to being introduced to them as JTTS with NWA/WCW but when I watch their other stuff I am always more impressed with someone else in their angles. Watts, Lawler, Idol, Buzz, but never Wildfire or Hot Stuff.

#152 PeteF3

PeteF3
  • Members
  • 9574 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 02:02 AM

I'm not there yet, and I've got lots more to view. But right now I'm pretty close to fucking hating Ultimo Dragon, and at the very least I'm fairly sure he had no clue how to put together a match himself. I can take or leave Toryumon/T2P/Dragon's Gate and all that, but from what I've seen that detail seems to have seeped into his students in a major way. Dragon's matches on the Yearbooks are never about, "What's he going to do this time?" It always seems to be, "How is Liger, Casas, Eddy, or whoever going to drag something decent out of this guy?"

#153 Sidebottom

Sidebottom
  • Members
  • 1121 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 02:16 AM

I think Kanyon was praised for having a variety of moves, but I honestly don't remember if he ever actually did. I also can't think of any great Kanyon matches. I did enjoy the Jersey Triad stuff with DDP and Bam Bam.

He was a solid hand at a time of huge inconsistency in WCW. All the Kanyon Cutter stuff was great television, where he'd run in out of nowhere dropping random people, trolling DDP, it was great. He had solid matches with Mike Awesome, DDP and a host of others in 2000. Nobody thinks he was Bret Hart, but he was a solid hand.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users