Pro Wrestling Only

[1995-01-25-WCW-Clash of the Champions XXX] Sting vs Avalanche

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

Last few minutes. Special referee the Guardian Angel turns on Sting and declares himself Big Bubba Rogers again. Tenta may have been an underrated wrestler, as this was better than I thought it would be. Bubba never called for the bell despite Avalanche submitting, so Nick Patrick comes in to stop the match. Bubba takes exception and ends up in a shouting match with Sting. Alex Wright and Stars and Stripes make a quick save, so this moment gets cut a little short.

Last few minutes. Special referee the Guardian Angel turns on Sting and declares himself Big Bubba Rogers again. Tenta may have been an underrated wrestler, as this was better than I thought it would be. Bubba never called for the bell despite Avalanche submitting, so Nick Patrick comes in to stop the match. Bubba takes exception and ends up in a shouting match with Sting. Alex Wright and Stars and Stripes make a quick save, so this moment gets cut a little short.

MAY?

Tenta was a great (and yes, I mean great) big man. Excellent timing. Some of the most credible looking offense ever. Good at knowing when to give and when not to give. And freakish strength that was too easy to overlook.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Good match, with Tenta being really efficient again. I wouldn't go to "great", but I totally agree he was a damn good monster worker. He's totally carrying those Sting matches.

The post-match is a case of Gene sucking badly, throwing Big Bubba Rogers name for absolutely no reason before Trailor alluded to it. This third name and gimmick change really hurt Trailor, he's already lost a lot of steam with the Guardian Angel gimmick.

• 1 year later...

Okay, getting back to this years after the fact, I think WCW was using "The Man Who Stands for Law & Order" as a placeholder name--they used that term a lot while waiting for the Angel gimmick to be finalized.

Really cool tease by Schiavone as we join in, reminding us that Bockwinkel stripped the Angel of his name and nightstick and how that "really got under the skin of the Guardian Angel." Sting and Avalanche do the accidental-headbutt-to-the-groin spot that they were fond of. Sting hits four Stinger Splashes, a bodyslam, and the Scorpion to decisively ice this one away, but Angel won't call for the bell, so Nick Patrick takes it upon himself to do it. Angel's not exactly in the wrong here--Bockwinkel trusted him to officiate then threw him under the bus. It's a two-on-one beatdown on Sting before the babyfaces make the save.

Okerlund: "What is this, the old Big Bubba Rogers??!" Subtle, Gene. Take some notes from Schiavone. The old Big Bubba Rogers is back, which was the proper way to go. The Angel gimmick and the repeated jobs to Vader absolutely killed Traylor's babyface character.

• GSR changed the title to [1995-01-25-WCW-Clash of the Champions XXX] Sting vs Avalanche
  • 3 years later...

Sting vs Avalanche - WCW Clash of the Champions January 95

Guardian Angel (Bossman) is the Special Guest Ref, which is a spot he had last year as The Boss for the Flair vs Vader return match. This is led to a lengthy Vader feud which kept Vader fed, but ultimately left Angel/Bossman ground up. The heel turn and return to the Big Bubba Rogers gimmick makes sense. This heel turn has to go down as one of the worst of all time. Avalanche is in the Scorpion Deathlock. Angel does not call for the bell. Somehow Nick Patrick can hear the wails of agony from Quake and calls the match for Sting. Bubba takes exception to this, which is fine, I guess, but this one of those things that should play out over weeks. Tempers flare and instead Sting whacks Bubba and Bubba attacks back and then he is aligned with Avalanches. What the fuck? I dont mind him being pissed, but teaming with Avalanche came way too soon. Bubba's rights looked good. 

This was a condensed version of their Starrcade match so I would say just as good. I still dont think much of Avalanche/Earthquake. Sting jumpstarts the match and even gets a dropkick to send Avalanche out as a part of his shine. Heat segment proper starts when Sting collapses on a slam attempt. Good elbow and leg drop from Quake. Sting does that spot where the knock heads and he ricochets off the ropes into Avalanche's nuts. I didnt realize how often Sting did that. It is a fun spot. Avalanche misses the Elbow Drop. Four Stinger Splashes and the Scorpion Deathlock. I covered the finish. I think there is a lot of ways to get to a compelling Big Bubba Rogers heel turn here in this match, but they way they went about it was wicked lame.