Pro Wrestling Only

[1995-02-04-ECW-Double Tables] Sabu & Taz vs Public Enemy

Loss

• 5 weeks later...

Last few minutes. Taz and Grunge go through a table at the same time, so it looks like now we have Rocco Rock vs Sabu. Rocco puts Sabu through the table in a pretty nasty looking spot, even though at this point I mostly look at broken tables as a comedy spot. But the referee missed it.

Then, Johnny Grunge is choking out Paul E., but Sabu ends up putting Rocco Rock through a table. So Sabu and Taz win the tag titles. The idea of the referee missing a tag or a pin attempt isn't crazy to me, but missing a table breaking? Hilarious.

They brawl for a little while after the match. Sabu is about to do some double tables spot, but Benoit cuts him off and powerbombs Sabu off of one table onto Rocco Rock laying on another table.

This stuff needs to be represented because it's a time capsule of the era, but it really doesn't hold up well.

• 2 years later...

What a fucking HORRIBLE finish. Seriously, Styles, Paul E., the smartass fans, and everyone involved ought to be ashamed for booking such an insulting rinky-dink sub-Memphis-quality screwjob like that. Tazmaniac didn't fucking "distract" the referee, dumbasses, the referee turned his back on a broken table (and didn't fucking hear anything) because the Booking Sez So. Way to beat it over our heads that this is bullshit. Yeah, I'm holding ECW to higher standards, so what? That's how Styles and their mutant fanbase wanted it.

The post-match is why this is so remembered, but it sure came across better in the days when you could only read about this sort of shit in the magazines and newsletters and visualize it in your mind, where it looked so much crazier. In real life, the bump isn't as spectacular as it sounds and Sabu and 911 playing feng shui with the furniture for 2 minutes tends to kill off the attempted tone of danger.

• GSR changed the title to [1995-02-04-ECW-Double Tables] Sabu & Taz vs Public Enemy
  • 1 year later...

ECW Tag Team Champions Public Enemy vs Sabu & Tazmaniac - ECW Double Table 1995

This to surprise of no one shocked. I have seen one good Public Enemy in my life and it is when Knobbs & Saggs stiffed the fuck the out of them on Nitro. Terrible meandering brawling. Taz may be my least favorite wrestler of all time. Useless. They have an even worse match believe it or not a couple weeks prior in Florida. The only redeeming quality of this match is Sabu is awesome. The dive through the ropes while Grunge was sitting on the chair was the spot of the match. Selling his shin after Rock ricocheted off a table into his leg was also great. 

The finish was absolutely dreadful. Public Enemy are the heels and Sabu/Taz are the faces, but Public Enemy were the main event headliners for ECW so they needed protection. It is not enough that this is tables match probably the first which should be enough protection. Heyman has an absolute brainfart here. Grunge/Taz both go through a table to eliminated themselves which is all good & dandy to eliminate themselves. Taz gets powder in his eyes and the ref checks on him and misses Rocco Rock splashing Sabu through a table. Fucking eh! Why are we giving the heels a visual pinfall! Sabu ends up putting Rock through a table shortly thereafter. So dumb!

The Benoit Superbomb of Sabu onto Rock on a table was pretty wicked! I dug that. Match was absolute garbage.