Pro Wrestling Only

[1995-02-25-ECW-Return of the Funker] Shane Douglas vs Marty Jannetty

Loss

• 1 month later...

This was a really good match. It would make a good side-by-side comparison to the Douglas/Scorpio match at Matter of Respect. I think that match is better, but this is really good in its own right, and I could see someone disagreeing with me. Jannetty, who had disappeared off the face of the planet for most of '94 and didn't resurface for months after this, gives a really inspired performance. I think Marty's style demonstrates something about breaking up what wrestlers do well into categories that are too specific -- it's not the best metric to figure out who's good. Marty really doesn't have much offense. His strength is in sequences and exchanges. He does those really well. He has tremendous ring timing. He's a great wrestler when he's at his best. "Jannetty lacks offense" is a legit point, but it shouldn't be used to disparage him. I could point to specific spots that are done well, but I think what impresses me most is that the crowd really isn't too thrilled about Marty being in ECW early on, even chanting "We Want Shawn" at him. But he wins them over with his work in the ring by the end.

• 2 weeks later...

Super match. Jannetty was great in those unlikely matches and locations in which he was allowed to work (like the Doink match on Raw), and really, looking at him there I don't see how you can say Michaels was better (except on the charisma level). This would have been so right in WCW on PPV. Douglas is near his peak here too.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Hahahahaha. Jannetty of course hasn't updated his ring gear in 10 years and wouldn't for another 10 after this, and it's never looked more out-of-place than it does here. Douglas works SOO loose and moves so stiffly, it's a stark contrast to his WCW work and in contrast to the rest of ECW. I'm not asking for the guy to be Stan Hansen, but there's no snap or impact to any of his strikes, moves, or bumps. It's hard not to notice regardless of how good the match is. All that aside, this turns into a hell of a match. They throw in a few token brawling spots but they fit well into the match, as opposed to doing crowd brawling and chair spots for the sake of doing them. Jannetty works that stuff into his signature style very effectively. Ultimately it's Marty holding this together, as seemed to happen with him so, so often. He didn't have Shawn's star power but ultimately I think he had a better grasp of psychology and had better ways than Shawn of covering up a lack of offense. Marty gets a few hot near-falls and Douglas has to pull out a power bomb counter and tights grab to retain the title by the skin of his teeth. Now I want to see Jannetty team up with Snow in this setting because they both looked surprisingly good.

• GSR changed the title to [1995-02-25-ECW-Return of the Funker] Shane Douglas vs Marty Jannetty
  • 1 year later...

ECW World Champion Shane Douglas vs Marty Jannetty - ECW Return of the Funker 1995

Shane Douglas' ECW World Title tour as Paul E. brings in any ex-WWF, ex-WCW star willing to do a job to his New Franchise. Pretty smart booking by Paul E. and this is the best match of the bunch and I think its the best singles match Ive ever seen from Douglas including the Scorpio match I watched earlier. I think this match was tighter and made more sense down the stretch. 

They basically said fuck you to ECW and wrestled a traditional championship match. This was Douglas' big chance to work the NWA Touring Champ style and he did it pretty well. Bret Hart was much better at than Douglas. Marty gets a series of quick nearfalls early to establish he is here for a good time not a long time. Douglas powders. He regroups. Back in, it is a Jannetty Victory Roll and a Superkick attempt that has Douglas getting the Hell out of Dodge. Great babyface shine. Jannetty is able to get his fist drop and a clothesline after a ballshot to complete a very strong shine. I would have liked the ballshot used later in the match as a stronger transition but thats a nitpick. Douglas is able to lure Jannetty to the outside with some arena brawling and thats where the Franchise is in his element. He hits a wicked front suplex on the railing and uses a crutch to cement his advantage. Jannetty takes a wicked bump off a clothesline nice inside out sell. Jannetty really throws himself into the ringpost bump and then takes a suplex on chairs. Really good stuff. Throughput Jannetty would pepper in hope spots to make sure we all knew he was alive. Douglas hits his shoulder on the post. Jannetty works that a bit and then goes into his finish sequence. Rocker Dropper for 2. Big time Superkick. Doesnt cover, not a good side. Goes up for the fist drop but Douglas moves but Marty wisely lands on his feet. DDT! 1-2-FOOT ON THE ROPES! Awesome nearfall! Jannetty goes for a Victory Roll and Douglas THROWS HIM DOWN WITH A POWERBOMB!1-2-3!

Tight, impactful finish. Jannetty got in plenty of white meat babyface offense and got a nice hot finish run. I liked the heat segment a lot Jannetty did a lot of great selling and bumping. There are some issues with transitions that I didnt cover in my main review and Douglas also can be a bit bland. I would have liked to seen more heel character work out of him. Overall, I really enjoyed their ode to 1980s championship wrestling. ****

• 2 years later...

Jannetty had a very short stint with ECW that I didn't realize happened, but he doesn't even last more than six months before he returns to the WWF at the end of July according to Wikipedia. Interesting piece of bar-room trivia. Anyways. I enjoyed this more than I expected to, but obviously eighteen minutes is ridiculous for a Douglas match. Jannetty really worked his ass off here, though, and I'm now interested in his post-Rockers run as he mostly became an afterthought in my brain after their break-up.

**3/4