Pro Wrestling Only

[1995-02-27-WWF-Raw] Bam Bam Bigelow and Lawrence Taylor

Loss

• 1 month later...

Vince and Cornette ask LT about the rumors that he will have a match against Bam Bam Bigelow at Wrestlemania. Everyone involved is really good at selling this. I love when LT reveals that he has no idea who Cornette is: "Who is this clown?" Bigelow comes in via satellite and gets in LT's face over him saying Bigelow was beaten by a 13-year old, saying the 1-2-3 Kid is a WWF athlete and anything can happen. This is excellent 70s style build/trash talk to set up a match.

The WWF was definitely booking a very old style (not even 80s, pre 80s) product at this point. I don't think that had anything to do with why they weren't drawing, but someone looking to troll could probably make that correlation.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I took the time to watch all RAWs from the Royal Rumble to Wrestlemania XI recently (I spend my days off cleaning and watching wrestling sometimes) and Bam Bam was the highlight of everything. It came off like he really thought this would finally be his big break. Sad, since they dropped the ball on his babyface turn a few months later.

I had read about this segment before and knew what was coming when I saw it. This did not ruin the segment. Lawrence Taylor had great mid-ninties nonshalance that was lacking a lot in the WWF then. It seems out of place and at the same time makes the WWF seem out of place in the rest of the world. I suppose that makes sense.

• 1 year later...

Vince and Cornette sit in front of a green-screen designed to look like ringside for some reason. This is effective in its way, but is VERY dry. I think that's the word I'd sum up '95 WWF with--it's the same problem that permeated the company in the second half of '92 as well. Dry, conservative, and downright stodgy. Past the "old school" line. Bam Bam finally spices things up and reiterates his challenge to LT, and LT accepts an offer to appear with Bam Bam at the Harley-Davidson Cafe.

• GSR changed the title to [1995-02-27-WWF-Raw] Bam Bam Bigelow and Lawrence Taylor