Pro Wrestling Only

[1995-03-19-WCW-Uncensored] Dustin Rhodes vs Blacktop Bully (King of the Road)

Loss

• 1 month later...

about as good as a match in a moving vehicle filled with hay can be.

When put that way, I can't help but wonder how it is Vince Russo never tried to redo this.

As a kid, I legit never noticed the weird editing in this with the sky changing dark to light from one moment to the next and stuff.

This has a bunch of big bumps a lot of neat teases of dangerous bumps worked like really cool Battle Royal style near falls which are crazy since falling off a tuck going 15 mph is far more dangerous than falling to floor from ring.

I don't know why some CZW garbage fed or the Juggalos haven't tried to recreate this stip. I imagine most garbage feds have at least one superfan or worker with a truckers license and probably at least one or two who own a school bus or party bus to drive along side. As the one big problem with this (like the New Japan empty arena cage match earlier this decade) is that it has lots of crowd heat spots with a lack of live audience response.

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

This is completely idiotic and not fun the slightest. I wonder if Dustin didn't get fired on purpose, his career was so dead at this point. He went from wrestling in the main event of the first Clash of 1994 to spending the next 14 months in the undercard against Jimmy Golden and now Barry Darsow (and not getting one big match against Arn or Terry Funk which would have been really cool). With the exception of the great Wargames match, to me this entire Studd Stable feud really killed my interest in Dustin and really damaged his status. Thankfully it's over. And yeah, this gimmick was so stupid on every level I'm surprised Russo didn't used it again. The Battle Royal spots was very dangerous, and this must have cost quite a bit of miney (damn, a freaking helicopter !). This has to be up there with the Junkyard Battle Royal.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

These guys really do try hard under the circumstances, but there's only so much you can do when the highspots involve the truck turning or slowing down. There's an urban myth that the uncut, unchopped version of this is much better and it's kind of something the twisted side of me really wants to see. This is certainly an early sign of Bischoff not being afraid to fail in the most spectacular, ballsy manner possible as would become a regular feature on Nitros to come. Fare thee well, Dustin. As a pure worker you won't really be the same for another 19 years (!).

• GSR changed the title to [1995-03-19-WCW-Uncensored] Dustin Rhodes vs Blacktop Bully (King of the Road)