Photo

Hulk Hogan vs Vader (WCW Uncensored 03/19/95, Strap Match)

WCW Uncensored March 19 1995 Hulk Hogan Vader Flair vs Hogan Ric Flair Tupelo MS Renegade Randy Savage Jimmy Hart Strap Match

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43377 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 05:07 PM

Talk about it here.

#2 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43377 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 06:55 PM

Ric Flair doing a Ric Flair promo while wearing eyeliner and nail polish is awfully creepy. Flair and Vader have Hogan cornered when suddenly, it's time for the ULTIMATE SURPRISE! Fake Ultimate Warrior music starts playing and Renegade comes out. They try to hide his face at first. Flair tries to throw a punch and he grabs Flair's wrist. Flair sells it like he has been touched by an angry God! Between the Jimmy Hart return, Renegade, Flair and Arn, this is a pretty overbooked main event. I guess we can still safely say WCW-era Hogan throws the worst chairshots in the business, but in 2011, that's not the same level of criticism that it was in 1995. Terrible finish having Flair do the job in a Hogan/Vader match, and somehow it counts. Post-match, a masked man comes out and hits Flair and Vader with a chair while Arn comes out all tied up and gagged. The masked man is Savage. This is pretty far from a good match, but it's an entertaining one (even partially for the right reasons), and give Flair credit for carrying all of this.

#3 Tim Evans

Tim Evans
  • Members
  • 3959 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:22 AM

This is awful awful stuff. First, Why does Jimmy Hart come out so early? Shouldn't he have come out later if he was tied up? The Ultimate Surprise thing was sad. I guess people thought it was actually Warrior? And why does the Hogan dragging Flair thing count if the ref isn't even around? Just bad.

Also watching the main made me think of this: http://www.youtube.c...nyVLp0UV4kAOGk=

#4 El-P

El-P
  • Members
  • 8710 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:34 AM

I don't see how any of his pile of shit can be defended in any level. This is not entertaining, this is the lowest low for Hogan and WCW until that point. Hogan proceed to take a huge crap on Vader, Flair and even Arn Anderson in the post-match, which is the shitty icing on the rotten cake. Everything is an abortion here, the match, Hogan's work, Renegade, Jimmy Hart showing up, the masked men, the amazingly dumb finish. Seriously up there with the worst of the worst Russo has ever done. Fuck you Hogan.

#5 PeteF3

PeteF3
  • Members
  • 8970 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 09:17 AM

Vader mercifully shoves Tenay out of the way before he can ruin another interview segment. Flair looks creepy as hell in eye shadow and nail polish. 

Buffer helpfully points out that this strap match is "sanctioned by WCW and the Mississippi State Athletic Commission." Way to sink the whole premise of the show, guys. This entire show needs to be mentioned among the all-time bait-and-switches, as they more or less promised a more violent, "adult" show, and ended up firing guys for blading and going to a wide angle on chair shots. This is objectively the second-finest strap match WCW held on PPV in the first half of the decade, but it's still a pretty terrible match. Somehow Flair works hotter sequences with the fucking Renegade outside than anything Hogan and Vader do. Both men liberally remove themselves from the strap, just because. Jimmy Hart shows up in tattered clothing, with no explanation after his disappearance was the running theme of the show the entire night. Hogan of course wins by dragging Flair to all four corners but gets double-teamed afterward, with Renegade "trying to get in the ring" sayeth Tony Schiavone. All for naught, as Hogan naturally makes his own comeback. Then some subterfuge involving Randy Savage disguised as a masked Arn Anderson--did the babyfaces just happen to have an extra black outfit with them? Arn gets embarrassed for the second time tonight after cutting such a gritty, realistic promo earlier.

I can't say that this was BORING, though the some of the work approached it so the focus could be on Flair and Renegade. But man is this garbage. 

#6 DMJ

DMJ
  • Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 08:53 AM

I kinda liked this.

To start, if you include the pre-match promo from Flair and Vader and video package (which I do, even though I can't really defend it), the entertainment value starts pretty high. The stage is set thanks to providing context.

Then, the match begins, and you get the Renegade in all his cartoonish, over-the-top awfulness. Basically, from that moment on, there is not a single second when there isn't someone on screen doing something absurd/entertaining/interesting. Highlights (or lowlights, depending on your view) include Renegade's entrance (which gets a huge pop because the fans obviously thought the "Ultimate Surprise" would be Warrior, even though Renegade had been seen before in the background of a Hogan promo and looked nothing like him), Flair bouncing inside and outside of the ring in fear of the Renegade, Hogan getting chokeslammed, Vader running full steam into a ring post to try to add some sort of brutality to a very "soft" match, the Vader Bomb, the ridiculous arrivals of not only Jimmy Hart but also yet another "Masked Man," and then one of the most ridiculous, nonsensical endings imaginable. After the bell, things get even more ridiculous, with Arn Anderson waddling down the aisle, and the Macho Man and Hogan embracing and running the heels out. 

This match is at the Three Stooges-meets-Marx Brothers level of lunacy. This is not an exhibition of any sort of quality wrestling in the athletic, competitive sense of the word and I can understand people hating the heck of this. I totally get that to some this unwatchable.

To me, though, it does have that "So Bad, It's Good" quality with just enough good work out of Vader and Flair to make it pretty hard to turn away from. 

Meltzer gave this 3.5 stars and so would I.

#7 Mrzfn

Mrzfn
  • Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 04:19 PM

Awful, awful, awful. I actually enjoyed the first Hogan/Vader match so I was minorly hopeful for this, but what a horrible mess. Cheap Warrior clone, poorly explained Jimmy Hart "drama", Flair falling apart when anyone touched him, MORE masked men, nobody bothers with the strap, those truly terrible chair shots, Hogan can beat everyone himself anyway so why does he even need Renegade, and I don't even know what they were going for with Savage and Arn. So Arn was the original masked man who appeared in this match, but I guess Savage found him backstage, tied him up, had an identical outfit, put it on, appeared in the ring after Arn appeared (looking like a joke), and somehow Hogan and friends knew it was him... I guess? But even if you somehow accept all of that, for god's sake why do it? A mess of epic proportions and a great way to kill the shit out of anybody's interest in Vader (or Flair, or anyone...).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: WCW, Uncensored, March 19, 1995, Hulk Hogan, Vader, Flair vs Hogan, Ric Flair, Tupelo MS, Renegade, Randy Savage, Jimmy Hart, Strap Match

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users