Photo

Mitsuharu Misawa vs Kenta Kobashi (AJPW Championship Carnival 03/26/95)

AJPW Championship Carnival March 26 1995 Mitsuharu Misawa Kenta Kobashi Matsumoto Misawa vs Kobashi 4.5*

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43477 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 05:13 PM

Talk about it here.

#2 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43477 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 09:43 AM

The '93 and '96 singles matches between Misawa and Kobashi have really disappointed me. I enjoyed Kawada/Kobashi and Misawa/Kawada both way more. But this was different. This is an incredibly stiff match with tons of great moves, and at this point, it's my favorite match I've seen between the two of them. I think I said regarding the 03/96 match that there are things Misawa and Kobashi can do that won't happen in a match with Kawada, and this is proof of that. Where I think this match is better is that they go all out and they tighten up the layout. It's 22 minutes of bomb throwing with both guys showing all their cards, and it's a great, mid-range MOTYC. To this point, it's my favorite All Japan match of the year.

#3 Tim Evans

Tim Evans
  • Members
  • 4028 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:45 AM

I gotta agree with Loss. This was pretty good. Not really a lot of downtime or many resholds. Just brutal forearms and chops.

#4 PeteF3

PeteF3
  • Members
  • 9187 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 07:37 PM

This told pretty much the same story as the Taue match--lots of parity for the first 2/3, then the higher-ranked guy pulls away--but with more advanced offense and counterwrestling. There's some stiffness and hate here, but since these guys are partners tempers are generally held more in check than in the Taue bout. Great match--I haven't seen the '97 stuff yet but this strikes me as the best between these two to this point.

#5 Ditch

Ditch
  • Members
  • 1704 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 11:15 PM

Just re-watched this and really enjoyed it. I thought the story of Kobashi controlling and refusing to 'accept' a Misawa control segment in return was really well done. He just kept coming back, and after getting a couple nearfalls in, he was able to block Misawa's attempts at even the low-end bombs. Plus we get Kobashi busting out a huge suplex post-moonsault and a 'rare' finisher to put this over the top. Soooo much better than the title match in October.

#6 JKWebb

JKWebb
  • Members
  • 842 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 03:38 PM

#264 - placetobenation.com/countdown-top-500-matches-of-the-90s-300-251/2/

This match rules.  Kobashi comes out with a sense of urgency working with high intensity.  He's throwing relentless chops at Misawa.  There's a kick to the chin he dishes out that is BRUTAL.  Loved the spot where Kobashi is able to block the mighty Misawa elbows, and churns out some devastating neck strikes.  Another great spot is Misawa firing out of the corner with some of the deadliest elbows I've seen him throw.  This match is worked so damn stiff.  I think it might be my fourth favorite match of theirs behind the GOAT contenders of 01/20/1997 and 03/01/2003.  I'd also have it below 10/31/1998.  I'm sure there are some I have not seen yet.

#7 ohtani's jacket

ohtani's jacket
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 5724 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 07:23 PM

This was an excellent match. It was similar to the 3/93 Kawada vs. Misawa bout but without the animosity. It was just as physical, but instead of being raw and gritty they went their preferred route with a lot of big moves. They never went overboard, which they had a penchant for doing later on. It was a Carnival bout to the end, meaning that it teetered on finishing as a draw if Misawa couldn't put Kobashi away rather than any sort of miraculous upset, but it was rock solid storytelling and a great performance from both men. Much better than their 10/95 bout. 

#8 Zenjo

Zenjo

Lost in Time

• Members
  • 2142 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 04:32 PM

This is just the type of bout I want to see in the Carny group stages. Not a balls to the wall Triple Crown epic. But a focused, purposeful, high quality encounter. Physical and high workrate from the off. It was nice to have the crowd on board throughout. It was evenly fought with plenty of stiff strikes and power moves. A precursor to their classics of the late 90's. Of course the man in green and white pulled away eventually. The final move was cool as Misawa busted out a rare suplay. Great to see all these conclusive finishes. It's pretty crazy to think how many better singles matches they had than this actually, because it was really good stuff.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: AJPW, Championship Carnival, March 26, 1995, Mitsuharu Misawa, Kenta Kobashi, Matsumoto, Misawa vs Kobashi, 4.5*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users