Photo

Lioness Asuka vs Yumiko Hotta (AJW Wrestling Queendom 03/26/95)

AJW March 26 1995 Yokohama Lioness Asuka Yumiko Hotta 3.75*

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 PeteF3

PeteF3
  • Members
  • 8692 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 08:36 PM

Hey everybody, who likes the Brawl for All?! Anyone? If you do, who wants to see a Brawl-for-All match go 24 minutes? Anyone? Bueller? 

Yeah. I don't like Hotta to begin with and Asuka is little more than a name with a reputation to me at this point. So I had no emotional involvement in the match, so it's just two ladies occasionally stiffing each other and occasionally whiffing entirely. Calling it a 24-minute Brawl-for-All isn't *quite* fair, as they do other stuff--like power bombs, more power bombs, attempted power bombs, countered power bombs, and variations of power bombs. Hotta eventually knocks Asuka out and thank God this is over.

#22 ohtani's jacket

ohtani's jacket
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 5636 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 05:25 PM

Another match not watched in donkey's years.

This was kind of an experimental MMA style bout. Not the first of its kind in Joshi but definitely the most well known. It reminded me a bit of those Don Nakaya Nielsen fights from the 80s in that it was clearly dated but still retained some of its novelty value. A few things hurt it. Firstly, there were no rope breaks and they were allowed to fight on the outside. Secondly, the submissions were sold like regular Joshi submission holds, which meant that they lay in the holds forever. This was particularly hard to watch having just seen some higher end UWF-i. The stand up fighting was better than the submission wrestling, though they used too many pro-wrestling moves down the stretch. Thankfully, they returned to striking and Hotta's kick at the end was brutal looking.

I thought this was watchable but it wasn't something I particularly liked. There's plenty of better hybrid stuff from the 90s in my view. 

#23 Zenjo

Zenjo

Lost in Time

• Members
  • 2107 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 05:06 PM

One of the most brutal matches ever seen in an AJW ring. They were both bleeding from the mouth after the first minute. They proceeded to beat the tar out of each other for the whole duration. They wore gloves and delivered plenty of punches to the head as well as hard kicks. 0 out of 10 dentists recommend this. For the most part it was shoot style strikes and submissions. Hotta found out the hard way the advantage conferred to the attacker when there are no rope breaks.

Early on it sure wasn't pretty, but was captivating in its brutality. Later they began adding a few pro moves and down count spots. This really added to the drama and got the crowd involved. After a real war it was Hotta that just came through the fire. She had to take quite a beating, at times screaming out in pain. A memorable battle and a testament to the toughness of both ladies.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: AJW, March 26, 1995, Yokohama, Lioness Asuka, Yumiko Hotta, 3.75*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users