Pro Wrestling Only

[1995-04-08-ECW-Three Way Dance] Eddy Guerrero vs 2 Cold Scorpio

Loss

• 1 month later...

I thought this was tremendous fun. It resonated with me because it had more personality than the Guerrero/Malenko matches I've seen. Even if the wrestling sequences weren't as good, the match had more character. Eddy got to do all the cheating between highspots that he was awesome for, and seeing him cheered on by the ECW crowd for this stuff is an interesting precursor to the 2003 heel turn when he started getting cheered like crazy that made him a main event star. I don't know if this was a great match, but it was a great showcase for Eddy to do both wrestling and schtick.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

There are some annoyances with the crowd, like the dumbfucks chanting "BO-RING" while Eddy and 2 Cold were tearing it up on the mat (most seemed appreciative, though). And there are a number of "FUCK SABU" chants that broke out, as happened all throughout this show (Sabu skipped town, I think to work in Japan). Eddy is starting to pull off his lie, cheat, and steal shtick with some phony handshakes and some strategically placed eye pokes, while Scorp brings the high-flying and eventually some heeling of his own. Scorp hits the Tumbleweed and pulls Eddy up at two, and Styles ever the clueless dumbfuck sells it as a gutsy kickout by Guerrero. Are you good for anything besides calling moves, Joey? Bobby Heenan was basically right--we can already see the moves, get the damn story over. Scorp's arrogance costs him as Eddy rolls him up for the TV title soon afterward. Anyway, peripheral annoyances aside this is a hell of a match, and evidence that ECW is starting to get its seven-course-meal approach to wrestling in order.

• 2 years later...

Eddy hits a crazy splash from the top turnbuckle to Scorpio on the outside during this match. It looks awesome. There was some good action back and forth in this match. It didn't really suck me in until the splash, but then Eddy hits a great looking tornado DDT on Scorpio following that. This is followed by a frankensteiner and Scorpio is still hanging. Scorpio gets back on top and hits the picture perfect moonsault followed by a powerbomb. Eddy still hanging. Tumbleweed - and as Pete mentioned, Joey blows the call. Then goes on to sell the fact that Eddy kicked out, even though he didn't, and Scorpio could have won the match had his cockiness not gotten the better of him. Eddy wins with a roll up. This is a good match, with some cool spots.

#468 - placetobenation.com/countdown-top-500-matches-of-the-90s-500-451/2/

I'm not a huge fan of Eddie from this era, but he was starting to show the type of poise and in-ring character that would go on to make him, in my view, one of the great performers of the modern era. This match was technically good as both men had superb execution, but I'm not sure that the whole "Mexican born" guy chasing his American dream story really meshed with what looked like more of a holdover from Los Gringos Locos. That may have just been Joey Styles' shitty commentary, or maybe it was because Eddie tried to work heel, was cheered by the crowd for his moves and then earned that now cliched "respect" from his opponent.

I didn't see much cockiness or arrogance from Scorpio either. What I saw was what you get in most Scorpio bouts and that's a ton of bomb throwing. The latter half of the match really had too much bomb throwing to be honest. I also thought Scorpio lifted Eddie's shoulder after the two count but then I couldn't really understand what the ref was gesturing and Scorpio's reaction was one of disbelief not cockiness. Anyway, if there was that thread of a story there it wasn't set up or paid off in a satisfying way.

The nice execution made for a good match, though.

• 6 months later...

I'm a fan of both guys so, I was going to like this right from the get go. Found it odd that Eddie used the brainbuster and frog splash so early on but, eh in this period of ECW moves weren't logically built up to...some could argue this case for the promotion in general... I digress.

Fun match with Scorp tossing some nice superkicks and hitting a Hurty looking Tumbleweed. Eddie was coming into his own execution and charisma wise. Nothing to sneeze at though. A big plus: this finishes up in an appropriate fashion and time! Recommend it esp. if you're a Scorpio fan b.c. he actually gets to work a clean match with another athlete.. Not something that happened very often during his ECW career.

• GSR changed the title to [1995-04-08-ECW-Three Way Dance] Eddy Guerrero vs 2 Cold Scorpio
  • 4 weeks later...

ECW World TV Champion 2 Cold Scorpio vs Eddie Guerrero - ECW Three Way Dance 4/8/95

Goddamn, was Eddie charismatic or what? It is amazing his 96 run in WCW flopped so much. I think when he puts too much pressure on himself he tightens up. When he lets loose, there is few you would rather watch in the ring. He is such a joy to watch. Scorpio was pretty damn good himself. I loved how balanced this match was between the spots and the character work. Great chippiness to start, good chain wrestling that is punctuated with Eddie hitting a nice suplex on Scorpio's bad shoulder. All the bullshit with the handshakes was great. Awesome shove by Scorp and then when Eddie earns his respect Eddie levels him with a clothesline in the handshake. Eddie hits a tremendous brainbuster and Frogsplah about 5 minutes into the match. I am glad that was upgraded to his finish sequence. Scorpio looked crisp here. Eddie was just so charismatic. He got this Philly crowd behind him in a hurry. Loved the big classic Eddie splasy over the top turnbuckle with the chest puffed out. I love Eddie so much. The finish sequence was a dandy. Scorp just nailed him with a right. Perfect sequence of a perfect moonsault, perfect flip legdrop and the most badass Tumbleweed you would ever see. Joey totally blows the call when Scorp picks Eddie up at two on the Tumbleweed. He was not supposed to put over Eddie's resilience but Scorp's arrogance. I think this is a well noted part of Scorpio's character is that he is a little bit cocky It is a banana peel finish with Eddie getting a quick rollup to win the ECW TV Title in I believe his debut match. Pride comes before the fall, Scorpio. Just super fun wrestling that is brisk and entertaining and a great way to immediately put someone over as a star.  I dug this a lot. ****

• 4 years later...

This is for Scorpio's ECW World Television Championship.

Total spotfest, but Eddie and Scorpio are charismatic enough to make this type of match compelling. There are a few dissonant notes here are there, maybe due to Joey Styles' horrendous commentary, but this otherwise a good showcase for Eddie in his debut match for ECW.