Photo

Mitsuharu Misawa vs Akira Taue (AJPW Championship Carnival 04/12/95)

AJPW Championship Carnival April 12 1995 Mitsuharu Misawa Akira Taue 3.75* Korakuen Hall

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43426 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 05:25 PM

Talk about it here.

#2 Ditch

Ditch
  • Members
  • 1704 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 12:11 PM

For such a great tour, All Japan has one of the dumbest booking moves you'll ever see from a big promotion. Taue has a big new finisher that's laying guys out left and right, and so he faces Misawa and... Misawa kicks out. And makes a comeback after it. Oh and they have a rematch three days later. There are four good ways to book this: 1. Taue hits the Dynamic Bomb, bell rings before/during the pin count 2. Taue is going for the DB when the bell rings 3. Taue hits the DB, Misawa kicks out, Taue about to finish the job when the bell rings 4. Taue wins outright This is none of those. Match before that point is clearly behind their other two matches from the year, though still good.

#3 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43426 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 08:27 PM

Yet another terrific Carnival match. Taue was excellent here, but Misawa was on another level. I think back to '93, and the February match against Taue was one of my favorite Misawa performances. This is another outstanding Misawa performance. Most Taue matches aren't as good as Misawa's matches with Kawada and Kobashi, but I think Misawa gets the chance to put on better individual performances against Taue. As a match, this is great at times, but mostly just solid and really good. It's in the bottom rung of the Carnival matches for me so far. But if I were ranking individual performances in the Carnival, Misawa in this would rank pretty highly.

#4 smkelly

smkelly
  • Members
  • 1154 posts
  • Interests:Zombies, writing, professional wrestling, writing about zombies, German Shepherds, and Internet message boards.

Posted 21 November 2011 - 11:26 PM

The next two matches of their's will probably be a welcomed view, Loss. Two of Taue's best singles performances.

#5 Tim Evans

Tim Evans
  • Members
  • 3987 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:18 AM

Not as good as the previous matches but still top notch.

#6 PeteF3

PeteF3
  • Members
  • 9069 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 12:27 AM

This had some real-life things going against it, as they had to work 30 minutes with Misawa having a broken orbital bone. But the opening control holds by Taue, while logical in a real sense since he can't just pound the shit out of Misawa, aren't that compelling. Now, this picks up in a hurry when Taue starts digging his forearm into Misawa's eyeball, raising eyebrows all across Japan, and there are a good number of holy-shit spots like Taue splattering Misawa's face on the turnbuckle and on the mat, which are sold great by both guys (Taue's body language even comes across as, "I can't believe I just did that"). And Misawa manages to avoid the nodowa off the apron, and come back from the Dynamic Bomb and nodowa on the floor, to the point where the draw feels like a win but at the same time it also feels like a win for Taue, too. Classic work and booking that elevates both guys. I guess I'm talking myself into liking this more the more I write, but as it stands it's the #2 match of the Carny for me.

#7 Zenjo

Zenjo

Lost in Time

• Members
  • 2142 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 04:32 PM

The Carny continues to deliver. Taue dukes it out for 30 minutes with the top dog, competing as an equal. I actually think this is one of those occasions where a countout victory would've worked well. There was good quality wrestling throughout, but the draw was clearly signposted. About 10m in they halted the momentum and did a reset, which was a clear signal to me. Still the crowd were supportive and it's well worth half an hour of your time.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: AJPW, Championship Carnival, April 12, 1995, Mitsuharu Misawa, Akira Taue, 3.75*, Korakuen Hall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users