Pro Wrestling Only

[1995-04-20-UWFi] Vader vs Nobuhiko Takada

Loss

• 1 month later...

This is of course awesome. I remember nothing about the '93 match except the result, so I don't know if this is "better", but it definitely made a better first impression on me. I love all the powerbomb teases before it's finally delivered, although Takada getting up so quickly when Vader finally gets it isn't much better than Hogan. I also like the way that Takada keeps high kicking and it has no impact on Vader because he's blocking all the kicks, so he starts after the legs, which works much better. This and the Tamura match in February of '93 are the most fun I've had watching Takada because he is fighting like he has something at stake way more than he normally does. Vader is also fantastic and has maybe the best in-ring style of all time, because it works in any setting. His selling is great here, because UWFI is supposed to be more legit, so he sells those kicks like he's about to cry, but he's trying not to cry. He makes some slight modifications, like adding a cross armbreaker, but for the most part, Vader is still Vader. I don't think this was epic feeling enough to be a great match (not sure how to place what is missing), but all the ingredients of a great match are definitely there.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Good stuff, but the '94 bout is definitely more memorable. After getting KO'd then, Takada has to take a more thinking man's approach, keeping his distance and hitting leg kicks before he can think about stuff like the cross armbreaker. Vader still has the advantage almost every time Takada gets close, but the power bomb doesn't put him away this time. Agreed that Takada got up way too early. Vader makes us forget that by charging across the ring and leveling him, and then busting out some new submissions. Good way to get Vader over and to get Takada over by forcing Vader to go out of his comfort zone. They tease a submission, but Takada comes back to KO Vader with a series of kicks. A worthy final match in the trilogy, but not the MOTYC that '94 was. Lou Thesz says that all the judges think Takada won--thanks for that insight, Lou.

• 2 years later...

I loved the first two encounters in their famous trilogy. I didn't care for this third instalment. There was some entertainment value with the big match atmosphere and natural dynamic between them. The flaws are numerous and severe however.

Let's see. The theatrical start was horrible. Takada's selling absolutely sucked. It was too pro style, even for Vader in UWFI. The narrative and structure had been so strong before. Not so here. Vader had lost some of his aura and Takada was also in decline. A big disappointment.

• 1 month later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1995-04-20-UWFi] Vader vs Nobuhiko Takada
  • 1 month later...

Loved the opening, with Vader smacking Takada and Takada kicking him out of the ring. He keeps kicking, hacking at Vader's leg until Vader grabs him and chokeslams him. Vader's pretty nasty in this match, at one point, forcing the referee to nearly choke him off Takada when he's got him pinned down int he ropes. But he's also very giving, bumping and selling for Takada while still  managing to rattle him with clubbing blows. Takada kicks a lot in this match, as is expected, and once again, he's going for the armbar. But he's able to duck-and-weave around Vader's strikes, and tweak things here and there in order to find openings for the armbar. Takada's selling sucks though, especially down the home stretch, where he'll just pop back up to his feet like one of those clown bop bags. And the finish felt a little too contrived but whatever, still a fun match with some strong moments from Vader and good resolve from Takada.

• 4 months later...

Real World Heavyweight Champion Super Vader vs Nobuhiko Takada - UWFi 4/20/95

Crazy to think Vader was recognized as a World Champion in Japan for 8 month all the while holding the US Championship in America and feuding with Hulk Hogan. Well, Takada is planning on his big pay day by invading New Japan so he needs fake real world championship back. 

This is regarded as the least of three, but I thought it was just as good as the December '93 match, but the finish is not as epic. Vader is at his best when he is selling. The way he contorts his face when he is in anguish is so compelling. Vader slaps Takada to start. Takada roars back with kicks that send Vader out to the floor. Red hot start. Vader is pissed and CHOKESLAMS TAKADA! This is one way to start match. It looks like this match is going to go the way of the '94 match, but Takada has a new strategy go all in with the leg kicks. He kicks the shit out of Vader's legs and Vader is such a masterful seller. Vader gets his licks in, but this is all about Vader's selling. When Takada gets him down, he is still trying submissions like the cross armbreaker or choke, but nothing doing. Takada does one of the stupidest things I have ever seen. He has Vader rocking with his kicks, but he closes the gap and clinches Vader. What a moron! Vader CLOBBERS HIM! POWERBOMB! It looks like it is over. Takada gets up. VADER TACKLES HIM! This is insane. Fujiwara armbar by Vader, but Vader cant finish. Stand up. Takada clips him in the chin with the big left kick. The big man is rocked. Takada pounces; he pours it on with big kicks and a huge left KO's the big man. 

This is a great comeback match from the 1994 match were the valiant hero is able to vanquish the monster. ****1/4