Pro Wrestling Only

[1995-05-14-WWF-In Your House I] Bret Hart vs Hakushi

Loss

• 1 month later...

This Syracuse crowd LOVES Bret. These two have really good chemistry. Hakushi has fun highspots, but even more than that, Bret does a good job of eating those moves. For the last 10 minutes of this, it seems like they're 2-3 minutes away from wrapping up the match, which is lots of fun. I didn't expect the Asai moonsault to change course at the end when Bret looked like he was about to beat up Shinja and then come back in and finish this up. Nice rollup finish too.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

These two didn't seem to be on the same page at first, leading to some awkward moments. Not to bring back old '90s Smart Fan Talking Points, but Shinzaki has pretty much been WWF-ized by this point, basing his initial offense on chops and chokes and cheap tactics from Shinja. He does pick the pace up as this goes with some nice highspots, and I remember losing my shit watching this live when he busted out the Asai moonsault.

• 3 years later...

Bret Hart vs Hakushi - In Your House I

I think this another great candidate for a match to show to a non-fan as their first match. I think you want something that showcases the fundamentals of pro wrestling without being great. Because a non-fan wont appreciate the greatness of a truly great match. You want something they can digest. This has a good basic structure: shine->heat->comeback->finish. The shine is roughest part. Their timing seemed off. It was not too interesting. The heat segment was good. Bret is a great seller. There is plenty of cheating. Hakushi does a Vaderbomb, BroncoBuster and a back handspring elbow so there's enough high end offense to keep a new fan engaged. They build to a good mini-climax with the diving headbutt being his big nearfall. Hakushi misses the springboard headbutt huge in 1995 America. Bret has his typical comeback but to a new fan it would look great because Bret is awesome at offense. You have more cheating from Shinja. Two crazy highspots at the end, the vertical suplex over the top rope to the floor which is still insane and then the Asai Moonsault. Then a solid victory roll win for Bret. Bret wins definitively without hurting Hakushi too much. Long time wrestling fans might call it predictable or formulaic and I wouldn't disagree, but sometimes those things are still good. ***1/2

• GSR changed the title to [1995-05-14-WWF-In Your House I] Bret Hart vs Hakushi
  • 3 years later...

Despite being fans of both wrestlers, I haven't seen this match before. There are some awkward moments during the opening exchanges, but they are quick to tighten everything up and put on a corker of a match. Hakushi has a lot of interesting stuff in his arsenal, especially when you think how basic a lot of the wrestling was in 1995 WWF. He pulls out an Asai Moonsault, Muto Handspring Elbow, and a tilt-a-whirl backbreaker. After a missed springboard splash, Bret starts to make his comeback and looks like a total star while doing so. Shinja keeps interfering, so eventually, Bret has enough and launches himself to the outside to take him out. Bret has to wrestle twice tonight, but he ends up twisting his ankle when leaving the ring. Even though you could tell that Bret was steering the ship on this night, they really dropped the ball with Hakushi.  ★★★½