Pro Wrestling Only

[1995-05-19-SMW-Volunteer Slam IV] PG-13 vs The Thugz

Loss

• 1 month later...

My expectations were through the roof for this, and this was a fun match. Probably not a "great" match -- I'd say the best way to describe it is as a really high-level house show match. There is more stalling than action, but the stalling is well done enough and entertaining enough that it's enjoyable. Also, JC Ice is on par with Negro Casas as the best apron worker of all time. All the mock Fargo strutting is a lot of fun and they milk the audience homophobia for all its worth (I don't say that as a negative thing). They do a fake walkout, grab the house mic and accuse Mark Curtis and the fans of extreme bias, come back ... pretty much every tactic you can think of to get the heat pitch perfect before they really get going. I liked Smothers' double DDT to build to to the hot tag, and the Dusty finish actually works within the context of an interpromotional feud. I don't think this is the PG-13 match to trot out to win people over, since it has a lot of the stuff in it that people who don't care for them specifically cite as reasons for not liking them, but PG-13 fans will probably enjoy this.

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

This was awesome. The stalling is long, but it's creative and doesn't wear out its welcome. LOVED Wolfie D cutting a promo on the blue haired lady in the front row. I miss Hatpin Mary-type fans, which were once a longtime staple. That Dirty White Boy immediately comes over and gives her a hug is icing on the cake. PG-13 stooge themselves out in every manner possible, from heel miscommunication to unintentional sexual innuendo. Then Tracy takes a great whip into the guardrail and they take over, with some pretty awesome vicious work once they're on top. They do a few neat teases and cut-offs right before Tracy makes the hot tag, and a good near-fall with PG-13 almost stealing the win with a hubcap to the head. Tracy gets the hubcap and clobbers one of them with it to apparently net the tag titles for his team, but Randy Hales is able to get the decision overturned. One of the better uses of a Dusty finish you'll ever see, and this was a fine match with heat that was through the roof.

• 1 year later...

LOVED Wolfie D cutting a promo on the blue haired lady in the front row. I miss Hatpin Mary-type fans, which were once a longtime staple. That Dirty White Boy immediately comes over and gives her a hug is icing on the cake.

I'm pretty sure this Beulah, the long time Knoxville front row fan that Beau James talked about on one of the Continental episodes of Exile. There's a GIF floating around out there of her getting into it with nWo-era Hogan that's pretty funny.

• GSR changed the title to [1995-05-19-SMW-Volunteer Slam IV] PG-13 vs The Thugz