Pro Wrestling Only

[1995-07-01-SMW-TV] Interview: Dan Severn

Loss

• 2 months later...

Dan Severn is in a suit with both the NWA and UFC belts explaining his background. I don't know if wrestling missed an opportunity with Severn's style, as much as it would be interesting to see what would have happened if it had gotten over. This is total, 70s-style serious-world-champion-in-a-suit stuff, and while Severn isn't a guy I'm particularly high on, he's presented exactly the way he should be presented here, even if he is a terrible promo who obviously had some lines fed to him by Cornette (or someone). People who watch/enjoy/know stuff about UFC will probably get a kick out of these clips.

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Holy shit this is pretty surreal, as they basically plug a UFC PPV. Gotta love Severn explaining the differences between UFC and wrestling. I was half expecting him to response "Welll, UFC is the real deal." Yep, I think we have found the source for Meltz MMA = wrestling school of thought. I still have a big time soft spot for Severn, I wish he had a bigger pro-wrestling career on a big stage.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Severn has got the old ten-pounds-of-gold NWA belt, and Chip Kessler also plugs an upcoming UFC fight against Ken Shamrock in...Casper, Wyoming. UFC has come quite a long way. Severn has one of the worst voices ever when it comes to trying to cut a wrasslin' style promo, so the Pure Sports Build stuff suits him. Shots of UFC on Smoky Mountain TV is not something I ever expected to see. Kessler actually comes off as having a clue what he's talking about here. There are shots of Al Snow in Severn's corner in some of the UFC clips, which would be fun if it was mentioned on TV at this point.

• GSR changed the title to [1995-07-01-SMW-TV] Interview: Dan Severn