Pro Wrestling Only

[1995-07-15-SMW-TV] Interview: Tommy Rich / Interview: Jim Cornette's Militia

Loss

• 2 months later...

Tommy Rich lost all ties with the South after the North won the Civil War. Huh? Is Tommy Rich 130+ years old in 1995? Still, Tommy Rich interviews in 1995 were always good, and this is no exception. We go live to Cornette with the Militia, and he looks to be managing Al Snow and Unabomb now, which is just overkill, because they're getting over just fine without Corny doing promos. Snow's Dewayne Wayne glasses are awesome, though.

Most people will never have the guts to think about this question objectively, but I'm starting to wonder if it's possible that Jim Cornette overexposure is what killed SMW.

• 5 months later...

I would say yes, Cornette's overexposure killed SMW among other things. While he's a good promo, i'm just sick of seeing him. Landell cuts a good promo about how he's ready to take the brass ring and will win the WWF IC title. He doesn't care who the champ is, Double J or even Vince Mcmahon himself!!!

• 7 months later...

I agree Cornette was overexposed too. I mean, I love him, but after a while you just can't get fresh anymore, no matter how great of a promo you are. And when the booking is getting stale, it doesn't help. Tommy Rich interview is good though, I like old pissed off heel Tommy Rich.

• 1 year later...

The shot of Wildfire bursting onto the camera screaming his head off makes for a hilarious juxtaposition with the stiff and soft-spoken Severn. Rich USED to be a Southerner, but lost all ties with the South when the North stomped them. Is Rich actually a Highlander, or a relative of Kenneth the Page? Oh, I see Loss basically asked the same thing.

Cornette now has enlisted Al Snow & Unabomb in his Militia. Yeah, basically the entire heel roster being aligned with JC is a little too much. Snow has turned into a perfectly good heel promo but Cornette's control freak nature seemingly won't leave well enough alone. Cornette hypes a match between Snow & Unabomb and the Rock 'n Rolls where one partner is handcuffed to a post with keys on a pole above the ring, and whoever retrieves the key from the pole can unlock their partner to make the match 2-on-1. Neat stip that has me sold. Oh, there's a loser-leaves-town stip for the Rock 'n Rolls, which sort of gives the result away. Snow cuts another good, obnoxious promo. Buddy cuts a promo on his upcoming title defense against Brad Armstrong--winner not only gets the SMW title, they get a shot at the Intercontinental title. He and Cornette get in a few shots at Vince McMahon!

• GSR changed the title to [1995-07-15-SMW-TV] Interview: Tommy Rich / Interview: Jim Cornette's Militia