Pro Wrestling Only

[1995-07-03-WWF-Raw] Music Video: Jeff Jarrett

Loss

• 2 months later...

This was pretty immaculately produced by the standards of the time. As notorious as this video became eventually, I do remember watching this at the time and thinking Jeff Jarrett was a star (a wrestling one, not a country one, but one, nonetheless). They gave it the old college try. I didn't understand why they didn't make this his entrance music.

Stupid question: Is Brian Armstrong actually singing this? Like, really singing it and not just in kayfabe?

Yes, he was singing. Hell, he used to sing it live as he came down the entrance when he was doing the Real Double J gimmick. The magic of the studio surely made it better than he is, but Armstrong was smooth enough.

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Jarrett's real entrance was so, so horrible--it's mind-boggling why they didn't switch themes at this point. This actually sounds like '90s country, so score one for whoever had their finger on the pulse who greenlighted this (Michael Hayes?). We would see this video again, and again, and again, and again on WWF programming for weeks on end.

• 5 months later...

I had never seen/heard this before until I was killing time watching an WWE Countdown and Road Dogg started singing this song. I was like that sounds better catchy. Lo and behold, this is a fantastic song. I think if this was released on country radio right now, it would at least get radio play and be a decent-sized hit. WWE is really missing the boat by not having a truck-driving, country-singing, America-loving, beer-drinking good 'ol boy right now. Country music is over huge in fucking Massachusetts of all places so I can only imagine how well that would play in the South (where crowd reactions have been suffering for years).

What the hell did happen to Double J after the HBK title loss he seemed poised to be a strong upper midcard act at the time. I have always had a soft spot for Jarrett, it is too bad.

On WWE music, Jim Johnston is a fucking genius. I know El-P is not a fan of the current music scene in wrestling, but he is still nailing it. The Ascension's theme is like the best representation of pure Death Metal I have ever heard. It is like he distilled all the best parts of Death Metal in one badass song. Seth Rollins being from Iowa is clearly going for a Slipknot vibe with his theme song. That is a Slipknot song that Slipknot wishes they wrote. It is not surprising that Johnston was able to mimic 90s Country so well. He is really damn good.

I know El-P is not a fan of the current music scene in wrestling, but he is still nailing it. The Ascension's theme is like the best representation of pure Death Metal I have ever heard. It is like he distilled all the best parts of Death Metal in one badass song. Seth Rollins being from Iowa is clearly going for a Slipknot vibe with his theme song. That is a Slipknot song that Slipknot wishes they wrote.

Because death metal and Slipknot really are relevant in 2015 pop culture. ;)

Really, some diva need to come out to some PC Music shit, like some GFOTY song. Hell, give that one to Paige :

• 2 years later...

Unbearably catchy. I can still do this song, word for word, 22 years later. It seemed like this song, the theme from "Friends" and Hootie & the Blowfish sum up a whole summer for me, musically. I couldnt escape them. That's before I went all retro.
​Anyway, there are quick little things here that if you look closely, it reveals Jeff is lip-synching here. I know they were trying to sell the cassette single after Jeff & Roadie split suddenly. I don't know how much they got back in this investment. This looks like a standard $100,000 music video.

• GSR changed the title to [1995-07-03-WWF-Raw] Music Video: Jeff Jarrett