Pro Wrestling Only

[1995-07-15-WCW-Saturday Night] Ric Flair and Randy Savage

Loss

• 2 months later...

Ric Flair comes out for an interview with Gene Okerlund, flanked by about a dozen Space Mountainettes. Flair enters the ring for a demonstration of how the Lifeguard Match with Savage at Bash at the Beach will work. He takes on a jobber while wearing a suit and keeps throwing the guy out only for the Space Mountainettes to throw the guy back in. Randy Savage comes out and Flair tries to bail and gets thrown back in the ring because that's what he told them to do. The two are eventually pulled apart, and Flair gets in some free shots in the process. After Flair runs off, Savage is pissed off at the guys who were holding him back and starts punching them before wrapping up with a Savage interview with Mean Gene. This was super hot and very old school.

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Well, this doesn't make one bit of sense. Why are the girls throwing Flair back in the ring while Savage is beating on him ? And why the fuck a bunch of jobbers immobilize Savage which allows Flair to beat him up ?? This was so stupidly put together. The only cool thing about this segment is Flair showing up with a dozen girls.

Well, this doesn't make one bit of sense. Why are the girls throwing Flair back in the ring while Savage is beating on him ?

Because Flair told them to do that without clarifying his point. They were only doing what they were asked to do.

Yeah, that's the point the announcers sold to me. I don't buy it one bit. The jobbers packing on Savage was a lot worse though. Stupid segment. Bash at the Beach was really poorly promoted, as Hogan didn't even bother showing up on TV, he just cut a few routine promos on pre-tape from the beach. No build at all for Vader vs Hogan in a cage. Flair vs Savage lost a lot of steam to me with that stupid angle, while the brawl outside a few weeks earlier was awesome. I guess they figured since they won't get any gate out of it, why even bother. I don't know at which point they began to build for the Nitro era. It's obvious Hogan vs Vader was an afterthought at this point, which is really sad for Vader, as they put the emphasis on the upcoming Dungeon of Doom and that gigantic guy at ringside.

• 1 year later...

Nitro (or a Monday night show, specifically) had been announced about a week before this, and probably wasn't known much longer before that if you take Bischoff's word at face value that it was almost an impromptu decision during a meeting with Turner.

The jobbers holding down Savage didn't make a ton of sense, but I thought this was a lot of fun. Flair with a bevy of Space Mountainettes is the personification of cool, and I'm a sucker for any angle where Flair beats the crap out of some schlub while wearing his custom-made street clothes. The lifeguards taking Flair's instructions to the letter was LOLworthy and a great payoff, and they at least somewhat pay off the incompetent jobbers by having Savage beat them up. For justifiable reasons.

• GSR changed the title to [1995-07-15-WCW-Saturday Night] Ric Flair and Randy Savage