Pro Wrestling Only

[1995-07-16-WCW-Bash at the Beach] Hulk Hogan vs Vader (Cage)

Loss

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...

The match is a steeming pile of shit. Hogan at his ego-stroking worse. Yes, this isn't as godawful as the strap match, but nothing is. Hogan makes Vader look like a bitch, doesn't work hard at all and basically blows. The post-match is kinda funny though. Vader is dead for WCW, his firing was a blessing. Compared to his feud with Hogan, his entire WWF stint looks all kinda great.

"The beach was nice. The wrestling sucked."

-Dave Meltzer & Wade Keller & Bruce Mitchell about the day at Huntington Beach

John

Yeah, except Flair vs Savage which was *good* but very disapointing after their last match, pretty much nothing on the card was worth anything. Pretty terrible PPV, despite the cool setting.

• 1 year later...

Another shitty by-the-numbers finish for a Hogan PPV match, what else is new. Weirdly executed post-match angle as Tony and the Brain immediately sign off after the match and act like they're off the air for Flair & Arn's confrontation with Vader. Vader immediately cuts a promo to the camera demanding a 2-on-1 match. Yeah, this wasn't rushed as hell or anything. That made the Michaels babyface switch look like a slow burn.

I don't mean to keep repeating this point, but ECW's appeal is growing with every single Big Two segment.

• 1 month later...

"I can't believe this, but this was what was reported" addendum: when Vader was officially let go by WCW and he was prepping for shoulder surgery while deciding his next career move, Dave reported that the planned finish of this match was for Vader to attempt and miss a shooting star press (!!!) and for Hogan to escape. But Hogan was too far away from the corner, so Vader tried to improvise a senton thing and fucked up his shoulder.

I think we're all, especially Vader, better off that that attempt didn't take place. Sounds unbelievably scary just thinking about it.

• GSR changed the title to [1995-07-16-WCW-Bash at the Beach] Hulk Hogan vs Vader (Cage)
  • 4 years later...
On 12/1/2014 at 5:25 AM, PeteF3 said:

"I can't believe this, but this was what was reported" addendum: when Vader was officially let go by WCW and he was prepping for shoulder surgery while deciding his next career move, Dave reported that the planned finish of this match was for Vader to attempt and miss a shooting star press (!!!) and for Hogan to escape. But Hogan was too far away from the corner, so Vader tried to improvise a senton thing and fucked up his shoulder.

I think we're all, especially Vader, better off that that attempt didn't take place. Sounds unbelievably scary just thinking about it.

Feeling bad for quoting an 8-year-old post, but I would almost tend to believe that because the spot looked so weird that the only other explanation would be that Vader had no idea how to do a senton (when he was jumping off he was even leaning a bit forward which I think you do if you try to gather momentum for a SSP).

Anyway, this was a weird-ass show. In certain aspects I would even call it a success. They had a nice crowd size-wise (Wikipedia says 9.500 which sounds about right, I remember WCW claiming some insane number like 25.000), the crowd shots could have played great with sponsors (most people seemed to be in the 18 to 34 demographic). On the other hand, the product they presented was clearly not the right one for the crowd. They lost more and more interest as the show went along. Also, they not necessarily were into the presented faces, e.g. Paul Orndorff was the crowd-favorite in his match against the Renegade. Not sure if this was due people remembering Orndorff from 80ies WWF or if they just realized how much the Renegade sucked. In a way it was a 95 WCW card in front of a 97 WCW crowd.

It would be interesting to know how much this show played into WCW going to Club La Vela for spring break in 97, 98, 99 and 01.