Pro Wrestling Only

[1995-07-29-USWA-TV] Buddy Landell & Robert Gibson & Tracy Smothers vs PG-13 & Tommy Rich / Interview: PG-13

Loss

• 2 months later...

We get about five minutes of really good action. Good, but I wanted it to be better if only because we got a lot more footage than usual. Terry Gordy is really struggling to pull off his run-in at even a competent level and it's a little sad to watch him at this stage. The match participants proper are all on fire though. Wolfie D does some really nice highspots, and the table spots look brutal here because the table doesn't give at all for anything. So far, the USWA side of this feud is far superior to the SMW side.

We get a post-match interview from Smothers, Landell, Gibson and Gordy that's as good as you'd expect it to be, especially from Landell and Smothers. These are the best Tracy Smothers promos I've ever seen, with this one even better than the last one. He's just great.

We close out with PG-13 coming into the studio. JC Ice rocking the Z Cavaricci shirt! 1995 indeed. I think we can point to a two-year period or so where Wolfie D was the best babyface interview in wrestling, possibly more.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I'd have bet money on a Rich heel turn, but nope, he fights on the level. Wolfie D does a somersault off the top rope with Smothers lying on a table. Instead of a Rich turn, it's Terry Gordy doing the run-in and Macklin is completely clueless as to his identity, before either figuring it out or having someone let him in on it. The action is great, but you can't help but notice that the crowd completely dies once Gordy runs in and the long heel beatdown is on. I guess they could see the finish coming. Rich wants the SMW crew back for a 4-on-4, and Doug Gilbert (!) is back out to even the sides. But the SMW team won't bite.

Landell informs us that PG-13 couldn't whip milk with an outboard motor. Gordy's fairly sad to watch, but he's still trying--he was always a strong, underrated talker and he does enough to get by here.

Wolfie declares that he hasn't seen Terry Gordy since he was a little boy--I don't know if that was just a throwaway line or a conscious backhanded shot. Could Wolfie D have actually been pushable in the Big Two? He bulked up over time, and even here he's bigger than I remember. I guess it depends on if he was/is as big of a scuzzball as Jamie.

• GSR changed the title to [1995-07-29-USWA-TV] Buddy Landell & Robert Gibson & Tracy Smothers vs PG-13 & Tommy Rich / Interview: PG-13