Pro Wrestling Only

[1995-08-22-ECW-TV] The Sandman vs Mikey Whipwreck (Singapore Cane)

Loss

• 2 months later...

I really loved the finish of this, with Mikey having Sandman where he wanted him, and losing because he slipped off the top rope. Now, Mikey has to take 10 Singapore cane shots. In the post-match, Mikey takes a shot, and the referee offers to take the shots on his behalf, but Woman won't have it. After three shots, the ring announcer offers to take some shots on Mikey's behalf, but again, Woman won't hear it. Woman is GREAT here. Todd Gordon tries to put a stop to this, but Bill Alfonso won't let him, saying if Mikey only takes the seven shots he's taken so far, that's fraud and false advertising. Everyone who tries to make the save takes shots, including Marty Jannetty. Really fun angle that makes you want to see Sandman get his.

I remember having this match on tape in summer of 95 and showing it to my cousin. It really made her feel uncomfortable and seemed to bother her quite a bit (at the time she was 24). I wasn't trying to be malicious one bit. I just had never seen anything like this and wanted someone else to see it. In retrospect I should have never showed her. ECW produced these kinds of reactions I guess

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

One of the better ECW segments of the year. Mikey unloads with everything he has but slips off the turnbuckle and loses. I love that Sandman doesn't even actually cover him, he just falls forward and happens to land on top of Mikey, much the same way that Whipwreck first won the TV title. Woman is fantastic in the post-match, dangerous and sexy at the same time. I definitely feel bad drooling over her now, but...well...I'm not going to lie through online wrestling reviews, either. And the use of Alfonso was genius again as well.

• GSR changed the title to [1995-08-22-ECW-TV] The Sandman vs Mikey Whipwreck (Singapore Cane)
  • 1 year later...

Let your freak flag fly, Pete! Get down with your bad self! :P

Thanks to PWO I made sure to seek this out during my rewatch of ECW. Incredible. I already really like Woman, but I really loved Woman here. She does a really good job being smoldering. I really think she does but you can still tell its an act, a really good act. Here she was using her natural speaking voice it was much more organic and visceral. Now, it was definitely uncomfortable. "Assume the position little boy" is definitely pushing the envelope and not content I would want to watch with my mom. It is also doubly uncomfortable because of her death and saying how she gets off on violence. I know it is all an act, but it is hard hearing Woman say that and for me it triggers thoughts of her murder. Just absolutely terrible that's all I can say. 

I liked the idea of a voyeuristic  character and getting off on pain. I dont know if Paul E into any kinky shit but he definitely likes incorporating into his product (the Vampire in WWECW was based on the underground biting clubs at time). Sex is such a great, important life I do think its good for wrestling to have overtones of it to be a completely fleshed out form of entertainment. I loved all people trying to stand up for Mikey and Woman not letting them because she wants to feast off the pain of the fan favorite, the loveable Mikey. Really deep, hard-hitting stuff. Fonzie ensures it is 10 was a great heat-seeking tactic. A Fonzie like character should make a comeback. Sandman hurdles over the top rope to floor delivers a wicked cane shot to Mikey. That was pretty damn athletic for Sandman. He ends up going bezerk and well over ten and Marty Jannetty saves. I wonder if ECW had big plans for Marty Jannetty because he cut a pretty good promo on the Sandman after. Mikey's line "My mom is going to kill me." popped me and the he manned up and said he was going to get revenge. Happy Mikey won the title in 1995! Excellent angle to kick off the program!