Pro Wrestling Only

[1995-08-27-WWF-Summerslam] Diesel vs Mabel

Loss

• 2 months later...

Last few minutes. Mabel and Mo are working over Diesel after a ref bump. Luger runs in, but Diesel -- probably not knowing whose side Luger was on -- starts throwing punches at him, but Luger doesn't turn. I remember hoping for a Luger turn at Summerslam at the time, and also thinking how hard would it have been for Diesel and Luger to find a chance to talk before the show? Anyway, this is probably the most infamous match and feud of Nash's ill-remembered title reign. Believe it or not, he did try hard in this match, but this has its rightful place as one of the weakest matches to headline a PPV ever.

I thought the match was a step up from the three previous PPV involving Sid. The Sid feud was so godawful... This match was as good as it could humanly be for involving Mabel and Kevin Nash. Last appearance ever of Luger in the WWF, who would have guessed ? It was brillant because as Luger just makes a comeback in the main event scene after months of purgatory, he shows up on Nitro to challenge Hogan the next day. Good days...

• 6 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

God knows why, but since I had the Network fired up anyway, I may as well watch this entire monstrosity. Diesel cuts another bad, forced promo before the match. He makes a Pulp Fiction reference, the most current pop-culture nod in the history of Kevin Nash promos.

Diesel really is trying here, and to be fair so is Mabel, but Mabel in particular just isn't any good. His clubbering looks like shit and other than a few nice big fat man spots, that's all he has. Even his belly-to-belly looks incredibly weak here. Diesel busts out a pescado and follows up with a pretty neat bump into the ringpost. Ref gets bumped and MOM perform one of the lamest 2-on-1 attacks you'll ever see. Lex Luger makes an attempted save, but Diesel takes him out. Luger fights off Sir Mo, and Diesel comes back to win with a forearm off the second turnbuckle. I know we complain about the WWF/E Style being too reliant on finishers ending matches, but two PPV main events of Diesel not being able to do the Jackknife for the victory is pretty weak.

I agree--bad, but not worse than the Sid feud. They really did try, but this was the equivalent of a one-off Spectrum main event between Hogan and a geek heel like the One Man Gang, not a legitimate PPV main event. Diesel gets an admittedly nice reaction for the win, but I can't imagine any fan seriously wanting to see this match.

• 2 years later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1995-08-27-WWF-Summerslam] Diesel vs Mabel