Pro Wrestling Only

[1995-09-17-WCW-Fall Brawl] Diamond Dallas Page vs Renegade

Loss

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

Sweet merciful fuck, I was prepared to snark on this and I got...a perfectly decent match???! Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this holds up compared to the opener, but this is one of the first standout in-ring performances by DDP, and it's pretty meticulously laid out. DDP also works for about 6 here--an early headbutt goes awry and Page staggers around the ring, falls out to the floor, stumbles over the guardrail, gets back up, and walks into the ringpost. All because of Renegade's apparently hard head. You have to admire that kind of dedication to your craft (are you listening, Chigusa?). He also offers some neat counters and cut-offs like hitting a DDT out of a hiptoss attempt. And Renegade, unbelievably, gets through a 10-minute match without fucking anything up. He even shows off what little good offense that he knows. I don't want to fawn too much over this, but this is a point in favor of laying things out in advance if that's what's best. DDP's gift for mapping out matches and his willingness to do anything to get a spot over could make for a good match with almost literally anyone, it seems.

• 2 weeks later...

DDP is my man! This is the match that got me a board the DDP bandwagon. He just tried so hard to get this match over by heeling and bumping and clowning as best he could. I have never seen a Renegade match, but he will leave you yearning for the Ultimate Warrior. Renegade's existence actually shows you that for all Warrior's faults he definitely had a unique charisma and aura to him. Great DDP performance and is there more before this? Or is this the first of many fun DDP matches to come?

• 4 months later...

Just watched this for the first time. Good-not-great match, but fun to watch. Page's overselling is cartoonish, but why not? How else can one make a Renegade match bearable? This is a carry job if I've ever seen one as Page essentially just positions himself into bumps, but his energy comes across. It also not-so-subtly makes Page look like a pretty good wrestler when he outsmarts and holds his own against a guy who, with one poorly executed stomp, sends him halfway across the ring. By the end of the match, there's an audible part of the audience that wants to root for Page - probably mostly because of how much Renegade stunk, but giving credit where its due, DDP, in a "Ziggler-esque" performance, gave the crowd the best match he could. As I rewatch all the WCW PPVs/Clashes (started at 92', now in 95') via the Network, this is easily the best DDP match I've seen yet and I'm guessing the best (and hopefully last) Renegade match I will ever see.

• 1 year later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1995-09-17-WCW-Fall Brawl] Diamond Dallas Page vs Renegade