Pro Wrestling Only

Loss

• 2 months later...

Really heated match. Sting attacks Flair at the opening bell and this has a little more hate than your usual Flair/Sting match at first. I remembered this being one of their better matches, but it's odd in that it's really hot at the beginning and end, and just too by-the-numbers in the middle. When Sting is making his comebacks, this is terrific, but when Flair is in control, this drags. I really liked the finish, but they treated it as a blowoff to the feud when it could have just been a way to heat it up even more, with Sting refusing to release the scorpion until Luger whispered something in his ear. What is up with Sting and Luger whispering things to each other and WCW never telling us what they were saying? This was hot enough that they should have run with this for a while.

This was around the time it seemed like they were teasing a Sting turn on Hogan, but Sting was consistently more over than Hogan, so I guess they dropped it.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...

When Sting is making his comebacks, this is terrific, but when Flair is in control, this drags.

I couldn't disagree more. Sting made no less than three no-sell babyface comebacks, including no-selling a suplex on the floor, which sucks. Flair showed a little more agression than usual when he tried to use a chair, but transitionned back to Sting with the usual "gets launched off the top rope" bit. I don't think there's any big match more formulaic than Flair vs Sting, and this is my least favourite Flair series because of it. This was every Sting vs Flair match with some nice intensity, but considering Sting said he was gonna kill Flair, I wouldn't call this really good, especially with the no-sell galore. Post match was really good though, especially with Luger's involvement.

This was also a complete fraudulent "interactive match" that the fans booked by calling the hotline. Yeah, like there was any chance they would call for Scott Norton vs Dave Sullivan...

• 1 year later...

The usual Sting/Flair match, which I'm not a fan of. Nowhere near as good as Nitro's opening night despite the fact that that match had no real story or build-up behind it. Lots of no-sell spots, lots of Sting blowing off the work on the knee, lots of Flair by numbers. Not terrible but not good. The post-match is more intriguing, even if it seemed like Luger missed his cue or the timing was fucked up somehow. WCW really needed to run Luger & Sting vs. the MegaPowers on PPV in some form.

• 4 months later...

I am in Camp Loss, I actually would go as far and thought this pretty damn entertaining. I was marking out for the no sell comebacks last night at 2am so it was doing it for me then. I actually thought Flair was pretty strong working on top and was pretty vicious. They have had better matches with each other, but I thought this was one of their more heated and personal matches, but I have never actually seen Great American Bash 1990. Very good Nitro main event and I liked the Luger angle.

• GSR changed the title to [1995-11-06-WCW-Nitro] Ric Flair vs Sting