Pro Wrestling Only

[1995-11-19-WWF-Survivor Series] Bret Hart vs Diesel

Loss

• 3 months later...

This still looks really good. There are other WWF matches I like better, but it's definitely in the top handful. More aggressive than most WWF matches, and Vince McMahon and Jim Ross are both great at getting this over on commentary. Tying Diesel up in the corner, the table spot ... all really well done stuff. It always felt like it was missing something, but I have never been able to put my finger on it. Still, I like it quite a bit.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I think, the 3rd time around, these two finally hit it out of the park. Oh, the first match was excellent and the second almost as good, but I think this is the best and most complete of the three. Once Bret counters the first Jackknife, this hits another gear with some creative spots and surprising intensity for the WWF environment of the time. Weapons even get involved, and Bret takes two pretty insane bumps down the stretch, one from the missed plancha and one into the table--really one of the better table spots in history because there was no contrived set-up. It was just dropped on you out of nowhere. Diesel played the sympathetic hesitancy note absolutely letter-perfect here, in setting up the finish. And of course the post-match is great too, as Diesel lays waste to the entire refereeing corps and gives Bret two Jackknifes, a pretty holy-shit moment at the end of a match full of them. I don't think this is the WWF MOTY--the ladder match still holds that title--but this still a real feather in the cap for both guys.

• 2 years later...

#362 - placetobenation.com/countdown-top-500-matches-of-the-90s-400-351/2/

This is another one I've seen quite a few times, and I've always really enjoyed it. I'd agree that this is probably Diesel's best match of his career. I think I'd rate his Hart matches about the same as PeteF3, but I think I'd put the HBK No DQ match from In Your House at #2 on a list of Diesel's top four singles matches. I can't think of any singles matches he had better than those four. Of course, Bret does a great job picking apart the knee of Diesel. But, Nash really delivers here with his selling. He's screaming in anguish. He's limping around dragging the left leg. I'm not sure how I felt about Bret tying up Diesel's foot at first. Diesel nails him in the head with a big right leg, which looked awesome. But, then Bret gets on the top rope and Diesel tries to walk off, and it make him look kind of dumb since he should have known his foot was tied to the corner. But, it turns into some pretty good spots with Bret working him over as he is tied up, so in the end it worked. The table spot was sick, and I loved how Nash was limping down the stairs to get to Hart. The finish and ending really play into what a great moment this is.

To note, the HBK match made number 475 on this list by Loss (Top 500 Matches of the 90's). I think Diesel's performance in this match is still probably the best of career (as I stated above), but, I feel like I had more fun revisiting the HBK match. So, I may be changing my vote here... I'd have to think on it a bit...They are both great.

• 2 weeks later...

WWF World Heavyweight Champion Diesel vs Bret Hart - WWF Survivor Series 1995 No DQ

What is missing from pro wrestling today is enthusiastic grandmas in the front row!

I think this most underrated WWF match of all time. I truly think this is incredible and one of the best Bret Hart performances of all time. I say this all the time but he is the king of face vs face matches and this is his best ever. As each wrestler takes turns playing babyface throughout the match in really logical fashion that never undercuts the drama or the characters in the ring. The video package before this is awesome with each man discussing their strategy. I thought Nash was especially excellent saying he was going to use power and size, this is not collegiate wrestling he is going for the early knockout. It really set the table for the actual match where these two just wove in a compelling story over the course of 25 minutes.

Each other taking off a turnbuckle pad right at the outset set the tone of the match and established that each man had come for a dirty, nasty fight. Loved Bret going for the leg early and driving Big Daddy Cool into the corner. Nash does a great job hitting heavy, heavy blows to stymie The Hitman. I love how Nash keeps Hart in that corner. He is suffocating him. Hart can find no quarter. Nash stalking Bret as he escapes to the outside is such a great visual especially how Nash always climbs over the top rope. There is such a looming sense of dread with each blow that Hart has to take from the big man. If I had one complaint, it is not the speed as this had a great horror movie like feel to it, but like in most Bret Hart matches there was not much in the way of struggles, he just took his licks. His matches can be too neat sometimes.

The transition to Bret Hart on offense is awesome. He holds onto Nash's leg for dear life to avoid being splatter on the canvas via the Jacknife. He eventually makes it to the ropes and then starts biting the arm of Diesel. You know how I know this because Diesel just starts hollering. Great verbal selling by Nash. Hart kicks at the knee and we all know what is coming up next. Just textbook dissection of the knee with excellent execution. Figure-4 always a nice touch. I liked how Diesel going for Jacknife was a transition and we see Bret going for the Sharpshooter leads to Bret being kicked off and his head hits the exposed turnbuckle.

Bret, being wary of losing his lead, trips up Diesel and wraps his knee around the post and then in the most famous spot of the match ties him up with the mic cable. Diesel is now helpless. It is funny to see Grandma Hitman fan cheering on Bret even though he is clearly heeling on Diesel now. I love this segment so much. Diesel trying to stand but getting knocked over, but the cord stopping him from falling properly. Diesel knocking the chair out of Bret's hand with his free foot, but only for Bret to step on his hand when he was trying to get the chair. That's some next level heel shit right there. Bret hitting the backbreaker and just mercilessly attacking the knee. Bret goes up top again, but this time Diesel crotches him. A really effective heat segment.

Diesel's selling of the leg is top notch. Like really fucking good. Love him gingerly walking over to drop all his weight on Bret's neck. Or the Snake Eyes and how he does it. Bret slams Diesel's face into the exposed steel on the second attempt this allows him to go for the Five Moves of Doom, bulldog off the middle rope was cool. Bret misses the pescado in epic crash and burn fashion. In a bump I absolutely love, Bret gets slingshotted from the apron through table still makes me say holy shit.

Here is my big grievance is the possum finish. It is just the bump right before it was so badass. I just feel like the finish undercuts that bump. I did like Bret dropping like a dead fish when Diesel first tried to pick him up. Cradle and the Granmda Bret Hart goes crazy and Diesel famously says "Muthafuckin Shit" and then destroys Bret two of the most badass Jacknife powerbombs ever.

Love, love this match. I am genuinely curious why people do not rate this higher. The David vs Goliath beginning with a great transition to the leg work then the awesome tie Diesel's foot to the post segment followed by really friggin awesome Diesel selling during the finish stretch with two huge Bret Hart bumps before the possum finish. Easy Top 10 WWF match of the 90s and really should be discussed more as an interesting case study on how to work face vs face. ****1/2

• 7 months later...

I watched the Rumble match between them which I hadn't seen before and thought it was a really good match but with 2 restarts and a no contest it wasn't exactly the ending I was hoping for, but lucky for us we get another match here which is by far their best match together and with no restarts and no interference and the NO DQ stip, this match could finally kick it into top gear.

There is so much in this match it would take forever to describe so i will keep it short.

- Vince and JR did a fantastic job on commentary, along with Perfect chipping in.

- Bret is the best I've seen in big man vs little man matches.

- Diesel, take a bow, this is your best match ever. Selling was top-notch.

- The table spot was awesome, so unexpected.

I thought the finish made Diesel look silly but at least it was clean and the post match was great.

My MOTY for 1995 ****3/4

• 1 month later...

Nobody works the turnbuckles like Bret Hart. He just rams right into them like crazy. Diesel puts on a performance of lifetime with his knee selling here and man, he doesn't let it up at all once Bret starts laying into his leg. Great stuff from him. Structurally, I had some issues with the match. I get that the opening was meant to be a kind of opening shine but it came off a little too slow with Diesel at the helm. Perhaps that plays into how the finish turned out but it was a bit of a drag. This match only really picks up once Bret gets onto offense and starts working the leg. Bret is just fantastic on offense and all the little things like raking at Diesel's face to try and get into position was wonderful. Great high spot and finish to end the match.

****1/2

• 2 months later...

The singles highlight of Kevin Nash's career. Plus it kicked off the whole Spanish Announce Table thang.

Ran nearly 25m and the pacing was methodical. Both the structure and the selling were strong however. It had straightforward and effective match psychology. Technique & Experience vs Size & Power. Bret concentrated his attacks on the wheel. After getting tabled the Hitman looked finished, but he flashed his tired opponent to begin Bret (3). Right away Diesel GOT HIS HEAT BACK and turned to the dark side. Not a match of much note outside of the WWF microcosm, but one of the promotions best efforts of '95.

• GSR changed the title to [1995-11-19-WWF-Survivor Series] Bret Hart vs Diesel
  • 1 year later...

This is a great example of a face v face in a No DQ match. Bret plays it on the edge. He isn’t hesitant to use chairs or ropes/cables to his advantage. And why should he? It’s all allowed and legal. It’s not a morality contest and he’s in it to win. Diesel is similar but plays it a bit too straight and is hesitant at the crucial points in the match. That’s why Bret wins over him, and Diesel knows it. Love the call backs to their Rumble match with the Figure Four in the middle of the ring and the use of the chair by Diesel. They arc’d the match really well from Diesel kicking Bret’s ass, looking like a total badass;, to Bret attacking the leg of Diesel and then the finishing stretch where they are selling the fatigue and damage of the whole match while building to the big high spot of the match - the epic spanish announce table bump from Bret. An overall great match. ****1/4

• 1 year later...

Diesel's work wasn't the most interesting when he was on top, but him being able to work this one as a quasi-heel helped him show off his natural swagger and charisma. His selling here was also top-notch.  This match did more for Diesel than his entire face run! This match is a great example to show off why Bret Hart is still so loved. He worked this one smartly, going after the leg of his much bigger opponent and he wasn't afraid to make the most of the No DQ stipulation and get desperate. I loved him tieing up Diesel so he could get some easy shots on him. I also enjoyed Bret faking out Diesel by acting like he was going for a Sharpshooter, but changes it up to a Figure Four at the last moment in a move to keep Diesel guessing. This might be mostly known as the first-ever WWF match to feature a table bump, but it's also a smart and logical classic that is well worth your time! ★★★★¾ 

From my blog review of Survivor Series 95' (Kwang The Blog):

Main event time - Diesel vs. Bret Hart for Diesel's WWE World Championship in a No DQ/No Countout Match. Considering that the mid-90s WWE is known for outrageous gimmicks and all sorts of goofy storylines, this match has a remarkable "big fight" feel, a much more serious and competitive tone than most of the main events of the time. Part of that comes from this being a rare babyface/babyface contest and the commentators having no choice but to essentially call it down the middle, giving each guy credit for their abilities.

Diesel controls early, dropping Hart neck-first on the guardrail and then continuing to punish him on the arena floor. Hart's hope spots are all cut off by Diesel's power, leading to the Hitman getting sent into the steel steps and then ran back-first into the post. Diesel grabs a chair and smashes it over Bret's back, which seems overly heelish, but he still has some fans cheering for him when he calls for the Jackknife. Diesel attempts it twice, but Bret is able to fight (and bite!) his way out! Bret applies a "sleeper" that is more like an eye rake and then goes after Diesel's legs, the Hitman finally able to get to work on his gameplan. Bret applies a figure four, which gets a huge reaction, and, as pointed out on the commentary, is a callback to their second match.

Speaking of the commentary, its worth noting just how many times JR makes reference to their previous matches - its the kind of thing we don't get enough of and the attention to detail is just another reason the presentation of this match feels different and more legitimate than anything else on the show.

Bret attempts a Sharpshooter but Diesel shoves him away and then kicks him off, sending the Hitman into an uncovered turnbuckle. Bret manages to slide out of the ring, though, pulling Diesel's legs with him and sending them into the post. Bret then grabs an electric cord and ties Diesel's left ankle to the corner. Tied to the corner, Diesel can not escape a double axehandle and the Hitman grabs a chair to try to capitalize even more. As Bret approaches, Diesel is able to fight him away at first, but the Hitman then delivers a series of strikes into Diesel's back and leg. The crowd turns on Bret a little bit there, shocked to see him go to such extremes. Bret manages to him with a backbreaker, Diesel still tethered to the corner. Bret makes his way to the top rope with the chair, but Diesel crotches him. Diesel then sends him to the center of the ring with an awesome press slam and then unties himself. Diesel sells the damage to his knee very well but still has the strength to hit Bret with a sidewalk slam and then an irish whip back into the exposed turnbuckle - a trademark Bret bump. Diesel delivers some of his own trademark offense, but its all labored and broken up by lengthy gaps of time because of his exhaustion. The pacing is just beautiful, the match really feeling like a struggle, not the "you're turn/my turn" bullshit we get too often today.

Bret takes over again, but ends up crashing to the arena floor when he attempts his over-the-top rope splash and Diesel dodges it. Bret tries to make his way back into the ring, but Diesel meets him at the apron and shoves him from the apron through a table! That is one of the all-time great table bumps and the crowd's reaction is unreal. Diesel calls for a Jackknife, but Bret is just dead weight. Diesel lets him fall and then attempts it again - only to get rolled up for a 3 count! Diesel shoves Hebner down to the mat and then powerbombs Bret before taking a number of other officials. While most fans boo him, there are still some audible cheers for the post-match attack. An absolute classic match that absolutely deserves consideration as being one of the Top 10 WWE matches of the 90s. I was shocked to see that this match was 25 minutes because it was so good and spirited and suspenseful from beginning to end. (5/5)