Pro Wrestling Only

[1995-11-20-WCW-Nitro] Hulk Hogan vs Sting

Loss

• 3 months later...

Putting this match on Nitro seemed like a huge waste of a PPV main event that could have drawn money, but I guess that's the story of Bischoff-era WCW. Hogan enters by coming through the crowd and wears a dumb mask. He gets booed LOUDLY, and the whole thing is a waste of time, because he doesn't even sneak attack him or anything. He just pats him on the back. Both guys try here, but a dream match like this needs a strong storyline to work, and the only person in the building siding with Hogan being Bischoff clouded things. I think they wanted a more divided crowd. Factoring all of that out (which is tough), Hogan does his usual nice arm takedown stuff he always does when he wants to wrestle, and I love him catching Sting in a bearhug off of the Stinger splash attempt. But then Hogan's Hulk Up just gets so much heel heat that I can't ignore it.

The Dungeon of Doom run in for the DQ and attack both guys. The Giant comes down to double chokeslam Hogan and Sting but Savage stops him with a chair, then eats a chokeslam for his trouble before Hogan and Sting run him off.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Uninspired match which goes in no clear direction. First they brawl, then they do matwork, then Sting attacks Hogan's leg. They don't work the obvious tweener dynamic at all except Hogan doing a (very) few heelish things. Him hulking up in that context made no sense and the crowd really shits on him anyway so he should have gone a lot more heelish. Waste of PPV money too, it's amazing they gave such a huge match away on free-TV. Worked as it was, it didn't feel like a huge money match either. Sting wearing Hulkamania colors to get Hogan back on the good side is so geeky on his part.

• 4 months later...

Hogan probably imagined that the crowd would be supporting them both or possibly in his favour. Even during the best NWO moments it was rare for Hogan to get as much heel heat as he did here. Putting Hogan/Sting on TV actually did end up working because a memorable PPV encounter could've made Starrcade 97 less successful.

• 7 months later...

Pretty disjointed match famous for the MASSIVE negative reaction Hogan gets. The boos are audible over his entrance music and just get louder as the match goes on. It made the Albany crowd at the '92 Royal Rumble look subdued. Yeah, the brawling on the floor leading to Hogan doing his trademark takedown spots didn't make any sense to me, either, and a lot of the big moments just don't feel big, due to the throwaway nature of such a dream match and the seeming inevitability of the run-in fuck finish.

Giant continues to be booked very well, though. They took the 1989 Zeus template and applied it to a guy with a little more upside.

• GSR changed the title to [1995-11-20-WCW-Nitro] Hulk Hogan vs Sting