Pro Wrestling Only

[1995-11-25-UWFi-All Out Contend Battle III] Yoji Anjo & Yoshihiro Takayama vs Masa Chono & Hiroyoshi Tenzan

Loss

• 3 months later...

Takayama did fine adapting, but Anjo is awesome here, to a point where I'd really like to see him outside the UWF-style environment sometime to see what he could do in a more traditional pro setting. But yeah, this is tons of fun. Lots of trash talk between Anjo and the NJ team, low blows, hate and good brawling. I think commentary would have added so much to the emotion of this. Chono/Anjo in a singles match has to happen, right? Yoji Anjo is probably one of my 10 favorite wrestlers after watching these yearbooks.

• 7 months later...

but Anjo is awesome here, to a point where I'd really like to see him outside the UWF-style environment sometime to see what he could do in a more traditional pro setting.

Not exactly traditional but I remember Yoji being pretty fun as "Commander Anjo" in Hustle a few years back.

• 2 years later...

A UWFI match with double-teams, Mongolian chops, knee drops, figure fours, a dive off the turnbuckle, floor brawling, saves, and low blows...there's very little resembling traditional shootstyle here but the sheer energy, hate, and at times WTF-ness of the match-up made up for that. This is a far better hybrid of shootstyle and wrasslin' than anything in the original UWFs, since the characters are so strong and the bigger moves are still done in an organic way that you could almost buy in a shoot setting.

• 2 years later...

The work here wasn't that great but they made up for it with plenty of spite. Anjoh was such a dick in this. He's such a smug little prick. You love him and wanna see someone wipe the shit eating grin off his face all at the same time. Surprisingly, that person you want to see do the grin wiping is none other than Chono. I came out of this wanting to see the Chono/Anjoh singles matches, which is not something I expected going in. So, thumbs up to this.

• 1 year later...

Anjoh trolling Tenzan beforehand was comedy gold. The interpromotional rivalry was very heated with plenty of hatred and disrespect shown. They sure were laying in the stiffness too. So plenty of fun for the viewer. Though it was held in UWFI it sure didn't resemble shoot style very much. The application of the rules was ridiculously lax with several blatant low blows. The action was also uneven and the finish weak. So a mixed bag of tricks, but an enjoyable experience. It sure wasn't run of the mill.

• GSR changed the title to [1995-11-25-UWFi-All Out Contend Battle III] Yoji Anjo & Yoshihiro Takayama vs Masa Chono & Hiroyoshi Tenzan