Photo

Mitsuharu Misawa & Kenta Kobashi vs Toshiaki Kawada & Akira Taue (AJPW Real World Tag League 12/09/95)

AJPW Real World Tag League December 9 1995 Budokan Hall Mitsuharu Misawa Kenta Kobashi Toshiaki Kawada Akira Taue Misawa & Kobashi Kawada & Taue 3.5* Misawa vs Kawada Kawada vs Kobashi

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43535 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 09:39 AM

Talk about it here.

#2 Ditch

Ditch
  • Members
  • 1704 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 12:17 AM

As much as anything, this match just didn't feel like it accomplished anything. Baba hits the reset button to have Misawa/Kobashi win the league, but wusses out and has Kawada/Taue keep the tag belts, then breaks Misawa/Kobashi up. It worked out in '96 with the Akiyama storyline, but man, it would get REAMED if someone did that today. It's good action and all but there's 20+ minutes of good action in like two or three hundred All Japan '90s matches. This needed to be on the set, and maybe I'm underestimating the quality, but it's still a letdown.

#3 jdw

jdw
  • Members
  • 8040 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:16 AM

Bored me at the time, and Misawa-Kobashi winning three straight really accomplished nothing for me. John

#4 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43535 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:11 PM

Agreed with the earlier comments. There's nothing wrong with this match, but this is the least of the Four Corners tag matches I've seen to this point. It's a match almost any other four wrestlers in history would be proud to have, but the match feels a little tired at this point (and I say that without having seen the '94 stuff). It makes sense why they decided to move Akiyama up around this time.

#5 Tim Evans

Tim Evans
  • Members
  • 4050 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:24 PM

It seemed like most of this match was going in slow motion. Especially Taue. I agree that this isn't that great.

#6 PeteF3

PeteF3
  • Members
  • 9300 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 06:42 PM

I think I liked this better than anyone else here, but agree that the result is pointless at best and extremely troublesome at worst. Still, I liked Kawada & Taue's opening flurry, the electric chair/chokeslam off the apron, and I *really* liked all the work on Kobashi's arm and Kobashi's sell. Also, Misawa's eye is still a problem for him, as he's immediately cut off on more than one occasion with a simple shot to the eye. It's not at the level of these guys' best, so maybe in some sense it's disappointing, but I still thought this was a hell of a good match.

Still...all that aggressiveness from the Holy Demon Army is pretty much for naught, as they do the job anyway. No idea what purpose that served, and this seems like a perfect spot to pay off what we saw earlier in the year and have Taue get his first (?) pin of Misawa.

#7 G. Badger

G. Badger
  • Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 11:48 PM

This was another awesome match put on by four of the best of all time. It started out really well and settled in nicely but was not the best of the year which considering how awesome 10/15/95 was, it’s not too shabby. In fact, if memory serves me this was akin to the all action 5/21/94. This was better though because it lacked the awkwardness of that incarnation. This was like a beautiful trainwreck at times. The stiffness and viciousness was Bull Nakano-like. In that I mean you could tell they weren’t really in control all of the time and it was more brutal because of it. Otherwise, story laden with nice variations, even though the Nodowa Otoshi was a bit too much of a part but, it worked and was never too much. Not as engrossing as the 6/9 or 10/15 match but a great match nonetheless and the Misawa/Kobashi team’s swan song. Put that way it was rather fitting and continued the story.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: AJPW, Real World Tag League, December 9, 1995, Budokan Hall, Mitsuharu Misawa, Kenta Kobashi, Toshiaki Kawada, Akira Taue, Misawa & Kobashi, Kawada & Taue, 3.5*, Misawa vs Kawada, Kawada vs Kobashi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users