Pro Wrestling Only

[1995-12-11-WWF-Raw] Bret Hart vs Bob Backlund

Loss

• 3 months later...

What stands out the most here is how much of an afterthought Bret is. I wouldn't say he's being buried, but Shawn is obviously the star of the promotion -- even while on the sidelines. Bret's entrance is cut short and Vince isn't going as gaga over him as he normally does. This arena is crazy dark, to the point that this looks like a Capital Centre show in 1982. Diana Smith's constant dumbfounded look is always funny to me. Too many things surrounding the presentation of this match for me to notice the quality of it all that much, but I don't think I missed much.

Davey Boy runs in for the DQ, and I have no idea why Backlund is being so protected. But Bret is absolutely not being portrayed as a red hot champion.

• 7 months later...
  • 8 months later...

These guys always match up well and this was no exception. The 4 minute opening ground/mat-work section culminating with Bret dropkicking Backlund out of the ring was pretty great. Loved all the waistlock go-behind stuff, and Bret ducking his head to avoid Backlund elbowing out was cool. I wish they had another 5 minutes because this was building to a MOTYC before they had to cut to the finish. Still, a lot of fun and probably their 2nd best match together after MSG.

• 1 year later...

Yeah, I liked the work here too--in fact, I liked it quite a lot. But it's a total old-school, '70s-style match in front of a completely dead crowd probably in the middle of a long TV taping, which means it's basically the embodiment of everything the WWF was doing wrong in the face of Nitro. There's no way anyone here can compete from a star power or charisma level with a group consisting of Hogan, Savage, Sting, Luger, and Flair. Well, Bret can, but not the way he's been booked as champion.

• 3 years later...

Some nice chain wrestling early doors. Backlund then had a period working his opponent over that felt a fair deal longer than it actually was. Things then built towards a finish before Bulldog runs in for a lame DQ. They could certainly have had a good match with more of an effort on the booking and presentation. The high point was Bob, sorry I mean Mr. Backlund going nuts afterwards.

• GSR changed the title to [1995-12-11-WWF-Raw] Bret Hart vs Bob Backlund