Pro Wrestling Only

[1995-12-11-WCW-Nitro] Four Horsemen and Paul Orndorff

Loss

• 3 months later...

They're in Charlotte, and the Horsemen are out. They mention that Benoit is in the Horsemen, but he's not there, I presume because he was in Japan getting ready for the J-Cup. Pillman is obviously having fun as a Horseman, and I like his promo. But he goes on way too long, which annoys me at first until I realize it's the whole point. When Flair starts talking, the crowd goes crazy.

Orndorff takes exception to Pillman's comments, saying he respects Flair and Arn, but he's got a beef with Pillman. They end up brawling, and Flair and Arn end his career just to make a point with a spike piledriver on the floor. Pillman I think was originally trying to be the new Tully Blanchard before evolving into the Loose Cannon. Good segment.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Pillman's promos really haven't aged well with me. Too long, rambling, making no point and too obviously forced as "insane" at times. This one wasn't very good I thought. The Orndorff angle is good, but I always wondered why he was chosen to be the sacrificial lamb.

I'm guessing he was planning on being back maybe? That or he knew he was quitting and they wanted the Horsemen to get extra heat.

IIRC Disco jobbed to Paul right before the promo.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Pillman's promos really haven't aged well with me. Too long, rambling, making no point and too obviously forced as "insane" at times. This one wasn't very good I thought. The Orndorff angle is good, but I always wondered why he was chosen to be the sacrificial lamb.

I'm guessing he was planning on being back maybe? That or he knew he was quitting and they wanted the Horsemen to get extra heat.

IIRC Disco jobbed to Paul right before the promo.

I can confirm that this is true, thanks to the Nitro episodes that have been uploaded to the Network. Orndorff beats Disco in the match, complete with one last boogie-woogie elbow for the road, then they immediately follow-up the match with the Horseman promo and beatdown.

The idea behind the segment has some problems to begin with, as it tries to establish Flair and Anderson as a dangerous heel threat to Hogan and Sting for the main event, even though they're in Charlotte and in Horseman country. Benoit being absent here doesn't help either, especially since he's the newest member.

But Pillman, who was still feeling out what would eventually become his Loose Cannon persona, would make a bad idea worse with his rambling turn at the microphone Calling out Hogan's walk on the dark side to emphasize that the Horsemen are the real bad guys makes sense, but taking shots at the American Males and current-broadcaster Steve McMichael seemed beneath the Horseman, even in their reduced state at this point. If Pillman wanted an excuse to call out Orndorff for the segment, he didn't need to take an extended tour through the undercard; he could have just called out the guy that was in the ring right before that interview and left it at that.

Naturally, all their intentions here go nowhere, as the crowd turns on Hogan anyway once the main event rolls around.

• 2 months later...

I liked Pillman's promo more than everyone else here, and I think the idea that he was rambling and going on past his allotted time was done by design, giving things an "off script" feel. Still, the stuff referring to Hogan was the definite highlight. Orndorff is really good too--"I guess if you like carrying bags and chauffeuring Arn and Flair around, then I guess that makes you a Horseman!" That shuts Pillman up, temporarily. Of course the Horsemen quickly swarm Mr. Wonderful and spike him on the concrete with a piledriver. Heenan is great selling this. Of course beating up a heel wasn't going to turn this Charlotte crowd against Flair & co., but this was still a hot segment.

• GSR changed the title to [1995-12-11-WCW-Nitro] Four Horsemen and Paul Orndorff