1407 replies to this topic

#21 Kronos

Kronos

Space Mountain

• Members
  • 1027 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:15 PM

Sting vs Angle -- Impact Wrestling, 9/01/2011

I think Sting looked really solid in this match. He moved well and projected confidence. Angle, OTOH, seemed to be in such a hurry to get everything done. It makes Sting look more the pro. Also, the segment that transitioned between a "blocked" scorpion lock into an ankle lock that looked very awkward from both guys. Okay TV match at best.

Seth Rollins vs Dean Ambrose -- FCW, 9/18/2011

Hmm. Jon Moxley vs Tyler Black in a 30min iron man match. Interesting. 10 minutes into the match, Rollins has demonstrated why I have never been a fan of is work: He's so very bland. He has a great look, and his technique is solid enough (though I would criticize a segment where he crawls across the ring on his knees as demonstrating confusion). Ambrose is a bit OTT in his character work and expressions, to be sure, but that's more fixable than the "bland guy". He has humor and old school heelishness. There's something baby-JBL about his character in this match that I really like.

As a result, when Rollins begins to make his comeback 20 min in and throws a really nice over-the-top-rope to the floor spot, it lacks some impact. I don't care about him, and so even when he does cool stuff I feel MEH. Still, I felt the same about Drew Mac two years ago, and he came around.

The guys have a lot of wasted time and feel tentative (read: Green). But they have some really solid segments, esp in the last 8 min. They both sell the exhaustion well as the match goes on. And the sudden-death period was very exciting.

William Regal vs Dean Ambrose -- FCW, 11/06/2011

Fantastic! Ambrose will learn more about controlling a match and heeling it up from one match with Regal than he would with 20 Tyler Black matches. There're some really clever spots, like putting the arm through the turnbuckle and Ambrose wrestling half the match with only one arm.

#22 NintendoLogic

NintendoLogic

Grim and frostbitten

• Members
  • 2735 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 01:36 AM

William Regal vs Dean Ambrose -- FCW, 11/06/2011

Fantastic! Ambrose will learn more about controlling a match and heeling it up from one match with Regal than he would with 20 Tyler Black matches. There're some really clever spots, like putting the arm through the turnbuckle and Ambrose wrestling half the match with only one arm.

Are you HashtagDerrick on Youtube? If not, someone is plagiarizing you.

I'm going to echo all the love for the match. And I always mark out for the turnbuckle cam.

#23 MikeCampbell

MikeCampbell

80% of crazy!

• Members
  • 2142 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 02:01 AM

Styles and Daniels vs. Homicide and Hernandez - Ultimate X

This is the best UX match I've seen. Instead of going spot crazy without any real attempt at a story, the four of them make an attempt at keeping the match logical. Things like Hernandez having to go up first since 'Cide had a shoulder injury (and was selling like mad when the babyfaces worked it over), or Daniels blocking Hernandez's dive and then trying to climb up when he sees everyone else is down.

Even the finish makes sense, with Daniels climbing up to get away from Konnan and Hernandez and taking a big leap to get the title belt down, instead of trying to be Hogan and fight them both, he just outsmarted them to win.

#24 Tim Evans

Tim Evans
  • Members
  • 4022 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 02:33 AM

Cactus Jack vs Sandman Barb wire match ECW Arena

I've been watching ton of ECW on the ECW set. I wouldn't say this was great but it was really entertaining. Way better than the Funk/Sabu barb wire match that was just sick. The finish is kinda sucky with Alfonso coming in and over turning cactus winning.

#25 Kronos

Kronos

Space Mountain

• Members
  • 1027 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:38 AM

Nope, that's me! :lol:

Last night, I watched two October episodes of NWA Smoky Mountain's TV on their youtube channel. It's an interesting program. They do a 30 minute show that revolves around selling their house shows. Very old school, like watching SMW (of course). It's pretty much all talking, with the announcers standing with a mic and also promos from the feud-du-jour. They also include some clips from their shows, but I didn't see a whole match on either episode. They also have been using Ricky Morton of late. Interestingly, the Oct 8 program was pimping a Chikara taping that night in TN. One of NWA's guys was scheduled to be on the show, so they pumped it endlessly. They even played a promo from Sara del Rey, who was scheduled to wrestle KANA on the taping. (Incidentally, SDR vs KANA and Jessie McKay vs Madison Eagles means I may have to get that show and ease my personal ban on chick rasslin.)

I like what they're doing, even if the promos could be a bit better. I might order some of their recent DVDs.

#26 FLIK

FLIK
  • Members
  • 1706 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 11:05 PM

8/15/2008 Kurt Angle & Masahiro Chono vs Shinjiro Ohtani & AJ Styles Crazy fun match, AJ & Angle do their usual thing which is crazy over with the New Japan crowd (both really missed their calling being stuck in TNA), Ohtani & Chono have a heated mini hate exchange and both combined bring the charisma of 50 men to this, Ohtani & Angle take it to the mat which looked awesome for the short while it lasted, AJ & Chono is fun for AJ getting punked out. AJ & Ohtani get the mid match advantage and look like they'd have been a pretty swank team had they had more then this 1 pairing, Ohtani's just having a ball in this match dicking around & directing traffic. For the ending stretch they bust out all their sig spots and it ends with the happy signature dueling puro submission spot.

#27 FLIK

FLIK
  • Members
  • 1706 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 01:14 PM

8/16/2008 Kurt Angle & Shinsuke Nakamura vs Hiroshi Tanahashi & AJ Styles Wow, everything that made the tag the previous night good this match lacked. The wrestling was lazy, sloppy, passionless and uninteresting. They never got the crowd into it outside of a few "ohhh ahhh" cheers for big moves and jesus christ is Nakamura a fucking black hole of charisma. Like if Chono & Ohtani are 10's, id say Tanahashi is about a 6 and Nakamura is like a negative 17 and just drags down every one around him. I've decided he's by far my least favorite New Japan guy. I don't watch a lot of the promotion but i've been making my way through the 08 G1 and he's consistently had the worst match or 2nd worst match at best on each show i've watched. The prescence of a mid carder and the ring skills to boot. He's the poster child for the power good booking and a constant push can acomplish in making a star beacause there's no way this guy would have made it to whear he is if he had to climb the ranks like everyone else and rely on talent to get to the next level.

#28 Kronos

Kronos

Space Mountain

• Members
  • 1027 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 11:44 PM

So I have finished AAA's Heroes Inmortales, my first full lucha show. On average, I'd rate it mediocre. The women's match was decent-as expected from those workers-but hampered by the darkness gimmick. (Velvet Sky didn't belong, which becomes a theme throughout the show). The lumberjack match was terrific fun. As I said on cubsfan's YouTube, I've never seen lumberjacks used so entertainingly. The tables match was actively bad. God, Abyss sucks. Everything else was mostly mediocre, though sometimes good spots occurred (parts of the dog collar match were quite good, for instance).

#29 Dylan Waco

Dylan Waco
  • Moderators
  • 10173 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 12:21 AM

AAA is pretty much the shittiest way to try and get into Lucha. I could not watch a full AAA show right now if you paid me and I would rather watch Lucha than anything else.

#30 Tim Evans

Tim Evans
  • Members
  • 4022 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 01:08 AM

AAA's undercard is pretty decent with the young high flyers like Fenix. Aerostar, Atomic boy and some good rudo bases. Main Event scene sucks but I'm interested in Rudo Octagon. CMLL is not that much better. At least the Firday shows aren't.

#31 FLIK

FLIK
  • Members
  • 1706 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:50 AM

Modern AAA was one of my fave promotions in the world back when I still followed it reg. I haven't watched in about a year but that's more due to lack of time then any dislike of the product, i'll get back into it one day i'm sure.

#32 Kronos

Kronos

Space Mountain

• Members
  • 1027 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 10:23 AM

AAA is pretty much the shittiest way to try and get into Lucha. I could not watch a full AAA show right now if you paid me and I would rather watch Lucha than anything else.

Well, that does seem to be the consensus. Still, even if I wasn't sure I liked lucha I would probably still have been okay. I really liked one match, liked another one, and enjoyed some bits of others. So not a total waste of time.

#33 Wahoos Leg

Wahoos Leg
  • Members
  • 472 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:43 AM

Nope, that's me! :lol:

Last night, I watched two October episodes of NWA Smoky Mountain's TV on their youtube channel. It's an interesting program. They do a 30 minute show that revolves around selling their house shows. Very old school, like watching SMW (of course). It's pretty much all talking, with the announcers standing with a mic and also promos from the feud-du-jour. They also include some clips from their shows, but I didn't see a whole match on either episode. They also have been using Ricky Morton of late. Interestingly, the Oct 8 program was pimping a Chikara taping that night in TN. One of NWA's guys was scheduled to be on the show, so they pumped it endlessly. They even played a promo from Sara del Rey, who was scheduled to wrestle KANA on the taping. (Incidentally, SDR vs KANA and Jessie McKay vs Madison Eagles means I may have to get that show and ease my personal ban on chick rasslin.)

I like what they're doing, even if the promos could be a bit better. I might order some of their recent DVDs.

McKay and Eagles didn't happen because Eagles was hurt,

#34 NintendoLogic

NintendoLogic

Grim and frostbitten

• Members
  • 2735 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:01 PM

jesus christ is Nakamura a fucking black hole of charisma. Like if Chono & Ohtani are 10's, id say Tanahashi is about a 6 and Nakamura is like a negative 17 and just drags down every one around him. I've decided he's by far my least favorite New Japan guy.

Have you seen his recent stuff? I haven't seen a whole lot of it, but he seems more interesting to me since his heel turn.

#35 FLIK

FLIK
  • Members
  • 1706 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 10:08 PM

No but Ditch said the same thing. Most recent match of his i've seen was from the 1/4/09 Dome show but I don't recall anything one way or the other about it.

#36 Kronos

Kronos

Space Mountain

• Members
  • 1027 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 10:34 AM

The November 12 NJPW show has started really strong. The first two matches have a lot of bizarre comedy, but they're short and entertaining. That Killer Rabbit team kept me smiling. Also, what with Saito's magic glove that turned him Face?

Nagata - well, that just kicks ass. Then we have the tag with Makabe & Taguchi vs Takayama & Taichi I wrote on youtube: I can't get over how much I love Takayama's grumpy old man schtick. They treated him like dirt the whole match, and finally he decides it's time to go home, so he finishes the match. Awesome. Taichi's cowardly heel antics were terrific, too, as he would taunt the other corner and then run to the ref when they made to strike back.

Then we get to Richards & Romero vs Tiger Mask & KUSHIDA, and it's the first thing I have not enjoyed. I figured I could handle Richards in small amounts in a tag match. He wasn't going for all-time billion-star epic, after all. But I can't get behind Davey's "Look at how big a badass I am!" attitude. His heeling antics are laughable. He just seems to be going through the motions because someone told him heels do certain things. KUSHIDA's a lot of fun to watch, though.

So four-for-five so far is not bad at all, and we have TAKA/Devitt up next.

#37 soup23

soup23
  • Moderators
  • 10258 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 02:55 PM

Just finished the All Japan 1980's set... now clearing through some recent indy stuff until the next set comes out.

#38 tomk

tomk
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 1365 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 10:59 PM

AAA's undercard is pretty decent with the young high flyers like Fenix. Aerostar, Atomic boy and some good rudo bases.

Hey Tim who would you say are the good undercard rudo bases in AAA right now. I haven't watched any AAA since mid August but one of the more frustrating things was outside of maybe Chris Stone and Mocho Cota Jr, I got the sense that most of the Militia would be alot better off as technicos. I mean the other guys have signature goofball heel bumps but they weren't particularly good at eating the technicos moves.

#39 Tim Evans

Tim Evans
  • Members
  • 4022 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 11:58 PM

Well I'm a big fan of Billy Boy since he's joined the Bizarros. Too bad Mortiz and Semental are gone.

#40 Kronos

Kronos

Space Mountain

• Members
  • 1027 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 09:26 AM

Morishima vs Takayama (NOAH, 11/30/2001)

In less than 3 minutes, Takayama gives Morishima plenty without looking weak himself. M attacks as T struts into the ring, hoping to put him away quickly with a flurry of power offense. When Takayama regains himself, he throws away his t-shirt and comes back with a vengeance. Almost not a match, it's so short. Really helps to sell the young Morishima.

Morishima vs Vader (NOAH, 3/14/2002)

Another short one for the young Takeshi. (Interesting: It looks like he's starting to grow his hair at this time.) He shows a lot more respect for Vader than he did Takayama, circling and looking for a beginning. Smart, too, since Vader's giant fists smash down over and over onto M's head when they finally lock up. He gets his revenge with about a million elbows to Vader's face, though.

It's not always easy to tell with Vader, of course, but he looks legit pissed off during the second half this little match. He doesn't do much early on, and I wondered if he wasn't feeling well. But when he does get angry -- about the time he yells, "Son of a Bitch!" while in a half-crab hold -- I began to wonder. But whether a shoot or just a great rasslin character performance, his chokeslam from hell is a thing of beauty.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users