Pro Wrestling Only

Rumored returns, arrivals, matches, etc..

jpchicago23

Really Kobashi would just come in and beat the shit out of guys for ten minutes. Easiest thing in the world. The bigger problem would be Heyman fucking over All Japan like he did FMW.

I don't even think that Baba would have loaned ECW one of his biggest draws at that stage of ECW's existence...

I always heard it was in 1999. That Kobashi was interested in wrestling in the United States.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New WWE signee Takako Inoue from Japan is headed to Minnesota to train under Brad Rheingans so that she can familiarize herself with the American style of pro-wrestling. On a funny note, John Laurinaitis had asked her how old she was during her tryout. She told him that she was 35 (which is true). Laurinaitis instantly got a shocked look on his face and told her that she looks like she's 23. Takako was reportedly thrilled to hear that.

Hm.

New WWE signee Takako Inoue from Japan is headed to Minnesota to train under Brad Rheingans so that she can familiarize herself with the American style of pro-wrestling. On a funny note, John Laurinaitis had asked her how old she was during her tryout. She told him that she was 35 (which is true). Laurinaitis instantly got a shocked look on his face and told her that she looks like she's 23. Takako was reportedly thrilled to hear that.

Hm.

Didn't she leave shortly after she realized they would not use her as a wrestler much and would probably be forced to get a boob job ?

Heyman was allegedly trying to bring in Kobashi and maybe others from AJPW to ECW around 96/97.

Seriously? I don't even remember it, and suspect at the time if I ran across the rumor online, I shat all over it. Was this a Scherer or Ryder House Organ rumor? Or something that Heyman floated to Dave and Dave had a "you can read betweeen the lines that I'm laughing at this" comment?

John

What are some of the rumored returns, arrivals, matches, angles, etc. that never happened? They dont have to be dream matches or angles just stuff that slipped through the cracks or things you would have liked to see happen.

Misawa vs Mutoh as the main event of a second Weekly Pro Wrestling Dome show. With Mutoh jobbing.

Hard to believe? It was *Mutoh* who was pushing for the match, and wanting it so badly that he was willing to put over Misawa.

Of course there was no second Weekly Pro Wrestling Dome show, and instead Choshu went to war with Weekly Pro for some nonsensical reason (another Dome show may have factored into his decision to go to war with them). It never came close to taking place at what was probably their respective peaks.

Chono being the one to end Mutoh's second IWGP reign on the 01/04/96 Dome show. Wait... you're saying that Takada ended Mutoh's reign on that card? Exactly. I recall being told at the 04/02/95 WPW Dome show by someone with New Japan what was going to big picture happen the rest of the year (Mutoh taking the title from Hash at the May Dome, Mutoh winning the G1, etc), and he was right on everything... until the NJPW vs UWFi feud popped out of nowhere and caused the company to adjust their place. In turn, Chono couldn't be the one to take the belt back from Takada: it really could only be Hash. Always felt bad for Chono that he finally got the belt when his body was falling apart (to the point that he quickly vacated it).

Lou vs Bruno is probably the biggest one that went into negotiation but never took place. Well... Gotch vs Stecher would be on the same level as Lou-Bruno.

FWIW, I've never bought the "Bockwinkel was offered the NWA Title" storyline, despite Dave probably having both Larry and Nick "confirming" it. Do the timeline on when it allegedly happened, and then try to make it pass the laugh test. It doesn't. Suspect we've had some discussions here in the past about it being silly.

Same with the Stone Cold Superstar nonsense. Figment of Billy's mind, and another one where decades later "confermations" are laughable when you look back at the timeline and think for more than two minutes about it.

John

Heyman was allegedly trying to bring in Kobashi and maybe others from AJPW to ECW around 96/97.

It's probably true that Heyman was trying to get talent from AJPW to come over on loan, but I'd imagine that the best AJPW was willing to offer him was some of the rookie wrestlers on the roster. It's still common practice for many of the Puro promotions to send their newer talent abroad for a couple of years so they can become accustomed to different styles of wrestling - this is of course something that WWE could learn from.

Anyway, there was no way that a promotion like ECW was going to persuade AJPW to part with any of it's aces for any amount of time. It would be like JCP asking WWF in 1986 to loan them Randy Savage or present day ROH asking WWE if they could have CM Punk back for a while!

Hm.

Didn't she leave shortly after she realized they would not use her as a wrestler much and would probably be forced to get a boob job ?

Zah, I used to know this but i'm blanking on the exact reason now, it wasn't either of the 2 things you mentioned though. I want to say it was because they low balled her on money but again my memories fuzzy. You could tell she was pretty pissed/stoped caring at the time too cause she just went right back to working AJW but was super lazy in the ring for a while afterwards.

On a recent interview, Matt Borne said that an idea was pitched for Hogan vs Doink at WM 9, but Hogan shot it down, saying he didn't want to work with someone who had a clown gimmick.

I smell the bullshit...

"An idea was pitched" is pretty vague; phrased like that, it could've been Borne pitching it.

They were hyping Andre at the Royal Rumble pretty strong. This was around the "who will manage Andre" angle was going on.

I'm totally blanking on this. Anyone have links to clips? The only appearances Andre made in '91 was on crutches in the corner of the Bushwhackers, right?

EDIT: After scouring youtube, I found this and it kind of brought it back for me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=KFkUFhrmrbM

They were hyping Andre at the Royal Rumble pretty strong. This was around the "who will manage Andre" angle was going on.

I'm totally blanking on this. Anyone have links to clips? The only appearances Andre made in '91 was on crutches in the corner of the Bushwhackers, right?

EDIT: After scouring youtube, I found this and it kind of brought it back for me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=KFkUFhrmrbM

Watching that clip, Andre totally had it coming. No one likes a liar and he was rude to boot, good for you Jimmy Hart...

On a recent interview, Matt Borne said that an idea was pitched for Hogan vs Doink at WM 9, but Hogan shot it down, saying he didn't want to work with someone who had a clown gimmick.

I smell the bullshit...

"An idea was pitched" is pretty vague; phrased like that, it could've been Borne pitching it.

It gets even better. In his shoot interview he says he knows it's true because Shawn Michaels had told him.