• Please log in to reply
166 replies to this topic

#21 Al

Al

Because a wrestling avatar seemed appropriate

• Members
  • 2978 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 09:09 PM

Tito rode a seven match Wrestlemania losing streak. Funks, Hart Foundation, Demolition, Martel, Barbarian, Mountie, Michaels. Forget if he won the dark match against Papa Shango at Wrestlemania IX.

#22 Matt D

Matt D

4:40

• Members
  • 10908 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 09:12 PM

Re: Tito in 91-92. Becoming El Matador had one really important end result to Tito in ring. Before 88 or so, Tito used the figure four as a viable finisher and the Flying Forearm could work as a transition/comeback move or a set up move. After that, when he wasn't using the figure four, so many of the matches where he would lose would let him keep his heat somewhat by hitting the forearm, but having the heel too close to the ropes in one way or another. As a 10 year old, I knew the second that would happen, that he would lose the match. After becoming El Matador, however, he gained el paso de la muerte.(do I have that right?) and past looking cool, it meant that his match structures became just a little more unpredictable. Trust me, as a kid it really made his matches more exciting.

#23 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11348 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 09:24 PM

I'm pretty sure Money Inc. had been formed and had at least one match in the can ready for TV when the sudden title win over LOD happened. That is, they weren't just thrown together at the last second and had their first match together the night of the change, even though it sure seemed that way at the time. I think the DiBiase-Tito feud was meant to be short-term thing, almost something just to keep Ted busy until Vince or whoever came up with a better idea for him. But who knows.

The only Ted-Tito singles match I could find online was from November 15, 1988, a Prime Time taping. I'm going to watch it later.

You'll find the one from Invasion '92 on Dailymotion if you look (search El Matador vs. Ted DiBiase). It's the one with the Sherri Manager cam. 10 minuntes of her SCREAMING "Teddy Bear, my Teddy Bear". Don't know if I've ever mentioned this, but I own every Coliseum VHS released in the UK from 1985 till 1994. I remember that one being like nails on a blackboard.

I know DiBiase and IRS tagged a couple of times, but I don't think they became "Money inc." until the LoD match.

#24 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43797 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 09:25 PM

Oh God, that match is unbearable because of Sherri. Kudos to Sherri for managing to be as annoying as humanly possible because she knows she is the focus of the match.

#25 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11348 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 09:28 PM

It might actually be the most annoying match of all time because of it. I really can't think of another one that literally did my head in like that.

#26 Matt D

Matt D

• Members
  • 10908 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 09:35 PM

BUT it has this AMAZING moment where Sherri totally changes her tune as Tito recovers and comes towards her and she goes ... "I'VE ALWAYS LIKED YOU!" or something like that.

#27 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11348 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 09:51 PM

I don't see Tito/Ted as a viable match for 'Mania 8, even without Ted and Rotundo coming together and forming Money Inc. Shawn/Tito just makes more sense the whole way around. Tito is a good, solid, worker who can work a good match with Shawn and help get over his new heel attitude and persona. It also allows them to play the history card, with Tito and Shawn being former buddies until Shawn developed his new attitude.

Not to mention that the last few 'Mania shows featured Tito helping get over new acts. He put over the Barbarian fresh from splitting off from Warlord at 'Mania 6, and he put over Jacques Rougeu-turned-Mountie at 'Mania 7.

If reports are true though, El Matador was actually meant to be a PUSH as Vince wanted to break into Mexico and other Spanish territories.

What IF, the plan was to put Tito over Ted at Mania? I mean THAT would have been a big win for him. I mean a really big win in the context of his career since the mid-80s.

Then who knows? Feud with Razor Ramon? Another feud with Ric Martel?

I'm pretty sure Tito left because he was unhappy with his push NOT because he was unhappy working the gimmick. Seems like he was made promises that were not kept. He was involved in angles around this time: around the whole Repo Man steals the Million Dollar Belt back angle. Just for him to be in angles was big in late 91.

#28 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43797 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 09:53 PM

Am I the only person who at the time thought when Razor Ramon started doing those vignettes and using the word "Chico" that he was setting up a program with Santana?

#29 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11348 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 09:56 PM

Would Razor vs. Tito at WM 9 have looked any more out of place than Razor vs. Backlund? I don't think so.

Did Razor ever have a match with Santana? Oh yeah:

(KotR 1993)

About 3 minutes.

#30 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11348 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 10:01 PM

Incidentally, that match (just watched it) is a GREAT example of what Santana was so good at. He was fired up. He was go go go. The crowd still cheered him. He got good offence in. He got all his key spots in. He got the loss while looking like he might have easily got the win. This was only a month or so before he left the WWF. Really good worker I think.

#31 Ricky Jackson

Ricky Jackson

The Only 5 Time Champion

• Members
  • 3033 posts
  • Interests:Wrestling, music, comics, beer, movies, history, sports...good manly stuff.

Posted 25 November 2011 - 10:07 PM

You'll find the one from Invasion '92 on Dailymotion if you look (search El Matador vs. Ted DiBiase). It's the one with the Sherri Manager cam.

Man, I totally forgot about this. I do remember watching it. I guess I saw it when the tape was first released and never again.

"Please don't hurt my Teddy Bear! Please don't hurt my Teddy Bear!" :lol:

I Posted ImagePosted Image

Before 88 or so, Tito used the figure four as a viable finisher and the Flying Forearm could work as a transition/comeback move or a set up move.

I've always loved how Tito added the figure-four to his arsenal during his feud with Valentine and kept using it over the years, long after the feud was over. Nice attention to detail.

Would Razor vs. Tito at WM 9 have looked any more out of place than Razor vs. Backlund?

Razor vs. Backlund is arguably the most random pairing in Mania history, even during an era when the undercards were full of random pairings.

#32 Matt D

Matt D

• Members
  • 10908 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 10:11 PM

Am I the only person who at the time thought when Razor Ramon started doing those vignettes and using the word "Chico" that he was setting up a program with Santana?

I was a big Tito fan as a kid, so when Razor came in I thought he was saying "Tito" and wanted to know why he wanted to get him so badly.

#33 Dooley

Dooley
  • Members
  • 717 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 10:49 PM

Jesse Ventura had brainwashed you.

#34 Ricky Jackson

Ricky Jackson

The Only 5 Time Champion

• Members
  • 3033 posts
  • Interests:Wrestling, music, comics, beer, movies, history, sports...good manly stuff.

Posted 26 November 2011 - 12:34 AM

Here's something I had never seen before tonight:

Tito Santana recieves NEW Intercontinental Title Belt

And for those interested, here's a link to Tito's official YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.c.../hoftitosantana

#35 flyonthewall2983

flyonthewall2983
  • Members
  • 2785 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 09:05 AM

I own every Coliseum VHS released in the UK from 1985 till 1994.

Sweet! Are they all converted to DVD or Blu-Ray now?

#36 MikeCampbell

MikeCampbell

80% of crazy!

• Members
  • 2154 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 09:10 AM

What IF, the plan was to put Tito over Ted at Mania? I mean THAT would have been a big win for him. I mean a really big win in the context of his career since the mid-80s.

Tito over DiBiase in 88-89 would have been a big deal, not so much in 1992. Ted had been doing the same thing for going on five years at that point. He was long removed from doing anything in the main event, and long removed from any high profile angles. He was the first person turfed from the Royal Rumble that year.

Tito over Ted breaks Tito's long running WrestleMania losing streak, but Ted didn't exactly the most stellar 'Mania streak himself. He won two matches at 4 and lost in the finals, DCOR with Brutus Beefcake at 5, beat Jake by COR at 6, and wasn't even on 7.

#37 Matt D

Matt D

• Members
  • 10908 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 09:31 AM

Tito over DiBiase in 88-89 would have been a big deal, not so much in 1992. Ted had been doing the same thing for going on five years at that point. He was long removed from doing anything in the main event, and long removed from any high profile angles. He was the first person turfed from the Royal Rumble that year.

Tito over Ted breaks Tito's long running WrestleMania losing streak, but Ted didn't exactly the most stellar 'Mania streak himself. He won two matches at 4 and lost in the finals, DCOR with Brutus Beefcake at 5, beat Jake by COR at 6, and wasn't even on 7.

Waiiiit a sec.

He wrestled Virgil at 7

#38 MikeCampbell

MikeCampbell

80% of crazy!

• Members
  • 2154 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 01:27 PM

He wrestled Virgil at 7.

Oh he did, didn't he? Good call. - Ted lost there too, btw.

#39 Ricky Jackson

Ricky Jackson

The Only 5 Time Champion

• Members
  • 3033 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 04:37 PM

To be fair, Ted's two Mania losses did little to hurt him, and they helped put over the victors in a meaningful way. He lost a match to Savage he should have (kayfabe) won, and the win made Savage a top guy and started the Megapowers angle. And it would have really made no sense or helped anyone for him to beat Virgil in their first match against each other, as Virgil needed as much credibility as a wrestler as he could get at that point.

#40 flyonthewall2983

flyonthewall2983
  • Members
  • 2785 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 04:58 PM

Tito rode a seven match Wrestlemania losing streak. Funks, Hart Foundation, Demolition, Martel, Barbarian, Mountie, Michaels. Forget if he won the dark match against Papa Shango at Wrestlemania IX.

He (and to a lesser degree Martel lost to the Brain Busters at V.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users