Pro Wrestling Only

WON HoF Candidate Poll Thread

Dylan Waco

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jason Hervey was on a better show than Sting ever was.

And of course one of the reasons it was a better show than Sting was ever on was due to:

* Sting was often the lead of his show

* Hervey never was the lead of his show

Errr... this isn't helping Sting... ;)

John

Is Bob Horner the Steve Williams of baseball? Heavy hitter that spent a lot of his prime in Japan.

Bob only spent one year in Japan due to Collusion. The Cards then insanely signed him after Clark jumped to the Yankees... I seem to recall Bill James writing at the time that it was an indication that Whitey was losing his power in the front office because it was about a 180 from the type of players Whitey liked. :)

The analogy to Bob would be a wrestler who had a hot start, but couldn't stay healthy and didn't have the career expected of him. Perhaps BW... though it seems insulting to BW.

Is Bob Horner the Steve Williams of baseball? Heavy hitter that spent a lot of his prime in Japan.

Bob only spent one year in Japan due to Collusion. The Cards then insanely signed him after Clark jumped to the Yankees... I seem to recall Bill James writing at the time that it was an indication that Whitey was losing his power in the front office because it was about a 180 from the type of players Whitey liked. :)

The analogy to Bob would be a wrestler who had a hot start, but couldn't stay healthy and didn't have the career expected of him. Perhaps BW... though it seems insulting to BW.

Damn, well the Horner/Doc comp is a swing and a miss. No idea he was only over there for a year, let alone returned and played for Whitey.

How about Jack Victory? There has to be a shitty utility guy that played all over the place and produced nothing. Bill Pecota comes to mind, but he wasn't that bad if memory serves.

Dick Allen is probably a bit too good, and too often too good, for a BW comp. Cedeno is a pretty darn good one. I don't think people realize how good he was once he became a "disappointing" player (i.e. after 1973). He was still a head of a player in 1980.

I fell into this two days late it seems.

The funny thing about Sting is that he seems to get compared to high peak/short career guys. But Sting at this point can legitimately claim a 25 year career. I might've mentioned this before, but I see Sting compared to Steve Garvey. Fairly long career. Often seen as a Hall of Fame caliber player but when dug into, his talent really wasn't there. Seen as perhaps the face of the Dodgers (besides Lasorda) but not their best player (Ron Cey was). Never the best player in the league, but usually an All Star.

As far as a Steve Williams comp, look at Warren Cromartie. Ten years in MLB, seven in Japan, with the added bonus of having wrestled a match!

John Olerud was pretty underratedly awesome for a few years. A lot of sabermetrically-inclined Mets fans still love the man for putting up a .425 OBP from '97-'99. Sting is a lot of things, but I don't feel like underrated is one of them.

In this note, he probably is.

John Olerud it is.

Let's move on!

• 2 years later...