Pro Wrestling Only

Let's talk about Joe Rogan and that Fear Factor thing

Bix

I don't think it reflects poorly on him, more so on the producers of the show and decision makers at NBC. Rogan's simply the host of the program, I doubt he even has much say in the actual competitions.

But, man alive, how the hell did it make it this close to actually airing!?! That's an idea that should have been scrapped before it was even filmed. And then to make it through multiple channels of approval is insane.

Honestly, drinking donkey semen isn't too far removed from Rogan having to tell the contestants "OK, to win the next competition, you must eat this entire plate of human shit. Fastest to swallow it without puking wins the cash!"

His podcasts get uncomfortable for him these days too. Between encouraging drug use, discussing conspiracy theories, increasing Government controls etc and his mainstream business interests. I've heard him say some whacked out things even recently like Joe believes mushrooms could cure paedophilia as it would give paedophiles a level of self refection what would make them see the damage they cause to others.

Rogan was kind of ahead of the curve on the threat of SOPA then when clamp happened he kind of had to drop it. One of his guests asked what UFC's stance was and he went silent. Another co-host had to chime in with that ALL media companies are against it.

Similarly he cant really go after Murdoch/Fox News any more due to UFC on Fox.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/nbc-yanks-d...r-factor,68517/

This doesn't exactly reflect well on him or UFC. Worse on the producers and NBC but still, yikes.

Can't imagine it reflect's poorly on UFC.

Episode 8 - Splushi

Tom Lawlor orders a fruit platter to eat everyday. However, when he gets home from the training center he often finds it already eaten by Team Nogueira. Lawlor wants to get back at them, so he and several members of Team Mir urinates in Lawlor's own fruit platter and places it in the refrigerator.

Team Nogueira arrive at the house and eats Tom Lawlor's urinated fruit platter. Only after they finished were they told what had been done to the fruit platter.

Phillipe Nover complains that someone in the house is eating his sushi. Kyle Kingsbury of Team Nogueira ejaculates on Nover's sushi and places it in the refrigerator. David Kaplan eats a piece of Nover's sushi and after wards is told what was done to it. Kaplan threatens to get Team Nogueira back with fecal matter.

Piss, shit and jizz all in season 8 of TUF... with UFC *not* editing any of it out.

John

UFC probably thinks that mainstream coverage of Joe doing a show where people drink a ass load of donkey jizz is Good Press.

They're on Fox doing decent ratings. They're a key part of FX's primetime schedule with the Fight Nights, PPV Prelims and TUF Live. They pretty much will be the entire anchor to trying to get Fuel. I would suspect that PR like this isn't seen as any impact on their plans.

Someone dying on a Live TUF... that would be the PR they don't want. :) This is nothing.

I tend to agree on the *other* things about Joe mentioned. Joe can be pretty out there and volatile. Fox can be perfectly happy with that, if it makes them $$$. Example: Beck said a lot of crazy shit, but it wasn't until he peaked, the ratings dipped and his value to Fox passed to a degree that they were happy to run him. By that point they'd pretty much co-opped what they wanted from him anyway.

Still, Joe is pretty smart in seeming to control his out-there-ness. He made it through the first run of Fear Factor without blowing up completely, and in the years between avoided it to get the gig when they brought it back. UFC seems to love him. He wouldn't fly with the NFL on NBC, but UFC... seems safe.

John

http://www.avclub.com/articles/nbc-yanks-d...r-factor,68517/

This doesn't exactly reflect well on him or UFC. Worse on the producers and NBC but still, yikes.

Can't imagine it reflect's poorly on UFC.

Episode 8 - Splushi

Tom Lawlor orders a fruit platter to eat everyday. However, when he gets home from the training center he often finds it already eaten by Team Nogueira. Lawlor wants to get back at them, so he and several members of Team Mir urinates in Lawlor's own fruit platter and places it in the refrigerator.

Team Nogueira arrive at the house and eats Tom Lawlor's urinated fruit platter. Only after they finished were they told what had been done to the fruit platter.

Phillipe Nover complains that someone in the house is eating his sushi. Kyle Kingsbury of Team Nogueira ejaculates on Nover's sushi and places it in the refrigerator. David Kaplan eats a piece of Nover's sushi and after wards is told what was done to it. Kaplan threatens to get Team Nogueira back with fecal matter.

Piss, shit and jizz all in season 8 of TUF... with UFC *not* editing any of it out.

John

Although the footage of the fighters downing shots of piss was too much for them and they edited that out of the show.

It aired. the image of former DVDVR alum Tom Lawlor doing piss shots will indelibly be marked in my brain forever. No matter how hard I try to forget.

I thought it only aired on one of the intro/highlight packages but it was never focused on a la the food platter and sushi incidents? I got the impression that if you didn't know it had happened you wouldn't have picked up on it and I only spotted it because Meltzer wrote about said incident being edited out. Never knew Filthy Tom was on DVDVR at some point.

I don't remember the Piss Shots airing in full, and I just watched that season within the past two months. The piss fruit and jizz sushi were fully aired.

FWIW, if folks haven't watched those earlier seasons in some time, it's pretty damn fun to watch the dvds with none BLEEPS in there. Dana is fucking great. :)

John