Pro Wrestling Only

Gimmicks you'd like to see developed

JerryvonKramer

I'd like to see a completely mercenary wrestler without any face or heel tendencies. He could just as easily be a hired gun for a heel champion or backup for an underdog babyface. He'd be up for anything as long as the money was right.

I'm imagining Bruiser Brody working today as I read that.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wasn't one of the Vince Russo's ideas when he briefly returned to the creative team in 2002 was that the Rock would reveal he was gay? Something like he would start hitting on the male wrestlers and eventually come out

I called Observer Live a few years ago and asked about this rumor and Dave said that he had never heard that.

wasn't one of the Vince Russo's ideas when he briefly returned to the creative team in 2002 was that the Rock would reveal he was gay? Something like he would start hitting on the male wrestlers and eventually come out

I called Observer Live a few years ago and asked about this rumor and Dave said that he had never heard that.

This may get confused with the story in '99 how Russo's last WWF script before he jumped to WCW contained a segment where Foley asked Rock to marry him.

We need to see the return of a cell phone toting manager ala Paul E. Dangerously. Except instead of hitting his opponent with the cell phone, he gets distracted playing Words With Friends and misses the matches.

That goofy Yorke Foundation thing happened too soon.

"How do we beat these guys, hold on. I think there is an app for that."

I'd like to see a completely mercenary wrestler without any face or heel tendencies. He could just as easily be a hired gun for a heel champion or backup for an underdog babyface. He'd be up for anything as long as the money was right.

I thought up a guy like that once. I imagined him with a manager who was the mouth and he'd come out to "Dirty Deeds" by AC/DC.

Would someone have reason to pay someone else to be an underdog babyface? And if they're just willing to be a babyface on command for money, wouldn't that make them a heel?

I think of it along the lines of Raschke being hired by Vachon to help him get revenge on Blackwell and Studd. Since Vachon was already out, he had to contend with both guys for a while.

Something like that.

Not a gimmick so much as a promotion concept. I have always thought the weakest part of pro wrestling is the presentation. Imagine if there were two feeds of Raw each week. One would be the standard McMahon style but the other would have a different production quality, a sports feed, if you will. The sports feed would have different announcers, different interviewers, and maybe even different camermen. They already have the perfect announcer team for such a product in Scott Stanford, with William Regal on color. Think of it like a commentary track, but in real time.

A similar, but different idea was to run a company but focus the TV production on 1 or 2 competitors. Sort of like the documentaries that were so popular in the Attitude Era, but as a wrestling promotion. You could tell much more indepth stories that way, I think.

Oh, and an Alex Jones gimmick, preferably for a manager. A conspiratard ranting about how his white male clients are being oppressed, maybe even using a megaphone, would be gold. Insane conspiracy theories concerning Egyptians, the Illuminati, the New World Order, and globalists. His stable could even be called the Gold Standard.

I think the most difficult part of some of these ideas is that these are all great angles that would work for a television show or something like that. Unfortunately I think that wrestling down plays a lot of the tension that these kinds of angles would bring in simply for the fact that people just can go fight it out, it's pretty primal in that regard might makes right and so on.

But back to it I would love to see them do more of a fight camp thing with each of the various camps fighting for dominance and fighting within each other for overall dominance. Recruiting away members people going rogue by themselves, alliances made and broken. It's all very romance of the three kingdoms in my head.

We need to see the return of a cell phone toting manager ala Paul E. Dangerously. Except instead of hitting his opponent with the cell phone, he gets distracted playing Words With Friends and misses the matches.

That goofy Yorke Foundation thing happened too soon.

"How do we beat these guys, hold on. I think there is an app for that."

That was the Acolytes gimmick. Wrestling needs a new evil army guy. It is way past due.

Would like to see a wrestler who completely mirrors the style/copycats their various opponents. Whoever they wrestled would be a battle about hitting the same finisher to win. I know we have seen instances where guys steal each other finishers (seems like this would happen with the Rock) but this would be someone trading same move for move, reversal for reversal with their opponent. I'd probably even have him mimic the wrestling attire and mannerisms of the other wrestlers. Would have to be a heel, someone getting in the head of their opponents, creating doubt in the babyface's mind that their finisher could be used against them. To pull this off the wrestler would have to be physically and technically able to pull off different styles so would be tough.

I thought up a guy like that once. I imagined him with a manager who was the mouth and he'd come out to "Dirty Deeds" by AC/DC.

This makes me think of Deathstroke in Identity Crisis :

"Slade, this isn't any of your concern."

"For the amount of money he is paying me? It most certainly is."

Continuing the comic book theme, maybe they could even redo the storyline where Mirror Master bails on the Injustice League because Bruce Wayne offers him more money than Lex Luthor was paying him.