Photo

Which WCW/ECW performer was most negatively effected by their companies closing?

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#21 Dylan Waco

Dylan Waco
  • Moderators
  • 10224 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:41 AM

I wouldn't be so quick to discount Jarrett. He's lost most of his power in TNA, he and his father are no longer on speaking terms, and he's completely burned his bridges with the WWE so he's SOL if/when TNA goes under.

Jarrett is more than likely on the back end of his career. He has been able to parlay his TNA career into a way to make money wrestling/promoting in India, Mexico and Japan - far more money than he would have made any of those places without TNA as a vehicle. Even had Jarrett not burned Vince (twice IIRC) there is no way in hell he was ever going to be more than a mid-carder in the mold of a William Regal/Goldust. Not a bad gig at all for a vet, but compared to having your own fiefdom, that includes a totally undeserved tv deal and unlimited funds from a crazed money mark, it really is small potatos.

#22 shoe

shoe
  • Moderators
  • 9154 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:09 AM

Kidman reminds me of Chris Candidio. They were totally overshadowed by the women. After Kidman was managed by Torrie, he was never the same.

The only thing that Torrie and Sunny was in their prime they were both smoking hot. On a working front Sunny blows Torrie away with charisma, promo ability,ability to get over, and understanding of the business. What killed Kidman was the Hogan feud.

#23 shoe

shoe
  • Moderators
  • 9154 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:12 AM

Luger is another guy with WCW closing ended up killed his career.

#24 El-P

El-P

NFLTG

• Members
  • 10026 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 04:12 AM

The answer is : everyone who didn't fit in WWE from that point on, for various reasons. Which makes quite a bit. Talented dguys like Axl Rotten, who got trapped into a stupid act in ECW, would never been given a chance. Guys like Douglas or Jarrett could not get back in NY, not that either of them wanted back there anyway. Raven, Corino & Kanyon just didn't fit. All the cruiserweights not named Mysterio got fucked. Awesome was clearly a case of being a japanese guys anyway, and he was not getting younger, with a banged up bodies and no knees.

#25 anarchistxx

anarchistxx
  • Members
  • 1641 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:09 AM

I'm not really sure about Helms, he got plenty of mid-level pushes in WWE (mini feud with The Rock at one point...) and was a very over semi-novelty act. I'm think he got to exact correct level he should have done. Kidman I'll agree with, he had a real charisma and star quality about him in WCW and quickly lost that. Probably didn't help that he bulked up so become less of an athletic machine. His tag team and subsequent feud with Paul London were high points, they maybe should have kept them together as it had legs. Just a shame it took a botched SSP for them to do anything interesting with him. Raven as well, as a guy who had tons of charisma and a unique look, over everywhere he went and pretty much wasted in WWE. I know he gets a ton of stick, but for sheer entertainment he's one of my favourite guys to watch in both ECW and WCW.

#26 Mad Dog

Mad Dog
  • Members
  • 5738 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:59 AM

Sean O'Haire, He was pegged as the next big thing in WCW. When Bischoff was coming back, reports were that he was really high on O'Haire and that he was going to give him a huge push as a result. Fast forward a few months. Undertaker goes out of his way to bury him for some lockerroom BS. He got jobbed out hard and was essentially off tv 6 weeks into the Invasion angle.

#27 Mad Dog

Mad Dog
  • Members
  • 5738 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:01 AM

I disagree on Kidman. If you watch the last year of WCW, he was really adjusting to a more low risk style of offense. No more shooting star press as a regular move and it felt like he had lost a step. The switch to WWE seemed to fall right into his physical decline starting to take effect.

#28 rovert

rovert
  • Banned
  • 2903 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:26 AM

Has to be Bagwell For Bagwell: yeah was probably never going to be a main eventer but he was on seriously good money and in stable position as a long time home grown guy earning upper six figures. His personality and ring work was`more incompatible with WWE as anyone I could think of. I would mention Luger too but that's a tough one to tackle. Can really separate what were career tailspin elements and what were inevitabilities given his personal make up & what he put in his body.

#29 Tim Cooke

Tim Cooke
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 1561 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:33 AM

Jason Jett wrestled in ROH in December 2002 and as previously mentioned was in HWA in 2001-2002.

#30 Marty

Marty
  • Members
  • 2057 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:34 AM

WCW: Chris Kanyon ECW: Justin Credible

#31 Mad Dog

Mad Dog
  • Members
  • 5738 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:42 AM

There was also a concentrated effort to fuck over a lot of the ECW/WCW crew in the E at the time though. DDP, O'Haire, etc. all ran into the Undertaker backstage. Booker T got over and then they made a point of not pushing him. I still don't know what happened to Mike Sanders either.

#32 Strummer

Strummer
  • Members
  • 4404 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:29 AM

I'm sure there were deeper, more selfish reasons but Undertaker's main criticism of the WCW guys was that they bumped on their sides instead of flat back bumps like the WWF guys took. That was his main issue with DDP. The deal with O'Haire was the lockeroom protocol stuff

#33 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 44061 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:38 AM

DDP was in his mid-40s and moved around pretty well for a guy that age until WWE made him start flat back bumping. He was done in months. Also, no way would Flair have lasted as long as he did bumping flat on his back, considering that he didn't work a light style and he was thrown around quite a bit. Also, look at lucha and how many guys can have long careers because they don't do that. Anyway, back to the topic at hand. DDP is an excellent pick. Went from headliner to joke who couldn't even wrestle anymore in record time after WWE decided to fix something not broken.

#34 Strummer

Strummer
  • Members
  • 4404 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:53 AM

in retropsect knowing how important bumping, especially heel bumping, is within the company it probably caused a lot of turmoil for the ECW/WCW guys. It's probably the most important in house apsect of work within the company. as for DDP he was awesome in 97 but I thought he had grown stale by 99 or so. His mic work had deteriorated badly and I still drop in a 'scum" in my daily life <_<

#35 FLIK

FLIK
  • Members
  • 1706 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:17 AM

Guys like Douglas or Jarrett could not get back in NY, not that either of them wanted back there anyway.

Story I recall hearing was Douglas actually wanted to jump over as part of the deal with the Radicalz but Vince just didn't want him.

Raven, Corino & Kanyon just didn't fit.

It's funny to think back on Raven and remember that during his original run in the WWF in 93-94 he was good buddies with Shane McMahn and was being groomed for a high paying role backstage as a producer or something like that but he gave it up to remain a wrestler. Not that I blame him or think he made a bad choice, just interesting to think how things could have turned out so much more diffrently.

Awesome was clearly a case of being a japanese guys anyway, and he was not getting younger, with a banged up bodies and no knees.

Well, he was still only 35 or so when WCW closed so not that old. But yeah def was banged up. On the most recent Lance Storm show on the Observer site whear he does his big speach on how to properly do dives Lance talks about how Awesome blew out his knees doing them resulting in 2 major surgeries and sitll kept on. Basically because since he was often doing them to much smaller men he had to try and break his own fall a lot & because his opponents weren't ideal bases.

#36 Mad Dog

Mad Dog
  • Members
  • 5738 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:37 AM

DDP was in his mid-40s and moved around pretty well for a guy that age until WWE made him start flat back bumping. He was done in months. Also, no way would Flair have lasted as long as he did bumping flat on his back, considering that he didn't work a light style and he was thrown around quite a bit. Also, look at lucha and how many guys can have long careers because they don't do that.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. DDP is an excellent pick. Went from headliner to joke who couldn't even wrestle anymore in record time after WWE decided to fix something not broken.

To further the DDP thing. He got that stupid motivational speaker thing over when they were trying to bury him and then had guys start squashing him every week as a result.

#37 FLIK

FLIK
  • Members
  • 1706 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:47 AM

And to top everything off with DDP, he gave up a massive amount of money to go to WWE as he was one of the dudes that had a guaranteed contract with Turner to keep paying him even after WCW closed but he took the buyout instead cause he wanted in on the Invasion angle.

#38 Mad Dog

Mad Dog
  • Members
  • 5738 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 04:27 PM

The Scott Steiner run still astounds me in some ways. Their refusal to protect him at all really is stupid in hindsight. It still confuses me how HHH got out of any blame for how awful those HHH/Steiner matches were when he was the one calling the action. I watched his debut and the crowd lost their shit for him too. But that's how that era worked, bury anyone that was from WCW if they were too over. For as stupid as TNA is, they somehow figured out how to protect Steiner in his matches and use him effectively.

#39 flyonthewall2983

flyonthewall2983
  • Members
  • 2846 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 04:30 PM

Their Royal Rumble match was like watching a train wreck in slow motion.

#40 Mad Dog

Mad Dog
  • Members
  • 5738 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 04:34 PM

It was ridiculous but HHH had to work 20+ minutes on PPV in that era no matter what. So there you go, Steiner coming off a foot injury and his first match in a long time and HHH wants to work a long match. Steiner sucked in that match but HHH should take 90% of the blame for it. If you're calling the match, you need to know what your opponent can and can't do. But that whole feud was about HHH burying Steiner because he was a selfish prick.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users