Pro Wrestling Only

Wrestlemania 28 Thread

goodhelmet

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If WWE were going to lie about a celebrity, wouldn't they lie about them being there, not not being there? They want all the publicity they can get. Shit, just look at the "former Divas" section where in the headline of Stacy Kiebler they don't even make it a full sentence before mentioning George Clooney.

It's more that they're going out of their way to mention it when they don't really need to.

So even though Shaq hasn't been mentioned on TV, and they're saying on WWE.com that he's not going to be there, and Shaq isn't talking about it anymore, and The Big Show is building up a feud with Cody Rhodes on TV, you think it's still going to involve Shaq and that WWE.com, for no reason, is just trying to work their fans?

If WWE were going to lie about a celebrity, wouldn't they lie about them being there, not not being there? They want all the publicity they can get. Shit, just look at the "former Divas" section where in the headline of Stacy Kiebler they don't even make it a full sentence before mentioning George Clooney.

It's more that they're going out of their way to mention it when they don't really need to.

So even though Shaq hasn't been mentioned on TV, and they're saying on WWE.com that he's not going to be there, and Shaq isn't talking about it anymore, and The Big Show is building up a feud with Cody Rhodes on TV, you think it's still going to involve Shaq and that WWE.com, for no reason, is just trying to work their fans?

I thought Meltzer said that Shaq did mention this morning on Mike and Mike that he was wrestling at Mania? Wouldn't be the first time WWE.com worked the fans.

Ideally I always thought they should give the streak ender to a young guy on the come up but yeah, if an established guy is going to get it, Cena is one of the few who could get away with it as far as actually being able to run with all the negative heat you'd get as a result.

Ya know, loving the business is one thing, and wanting that rush from all the people going crazy when you come out is probably a big thing for a lot of guys too. But with The Undertaker, if he can't walk away from it all, then I have no faith for wrestlers at all. He's a multimillionaire, has a beautiful woman at home, has one of the most decorated professional wrestling careers ever, is a shoe-in for any and all wrestling Halls of Fame and has a son. I can understand not wanting to just sit at home and do nothing everyday, but not being able to give up the in-ring aspect or the travel seems ludicrous to me.

Retiring 20-0 and never losing at Wrestlemania. As a performer, you're one of a kind and in a category that no one can touch. How is that not enough?

Performing once a year doesn't exactly mean you're a road dog, but you're bang on with everything else.

Well, I mention the travel because the first thing I thought of was that if he loves it that much & can't walk away from it, maybe he could take a non-wrestling role, like a road agent. But then you still have to do all of the travel. I can't imagine after that many years driving, flying and crashing in hotels that you would still see the travel as a perk, ya know?

But if he just does the Wrestlemania stuff each year, you're absolutely correct.

Performing once a year doesn't exactly mean you're a road dog, but you're bang on with everything else.

Well, I mention the travel because the first thing I thought of was that if he loves it that much & can't walk away from it, maybe he could take a non-wrestling role, like a road agent. But then you still have to do all of the travel. I can't imagine after that many years driving, flying and crashing in hotels that you would still see the travel as a perk, ya know?

But if he just does the Wrestlemania stuff each year, you're absolutely correct.

I seriously doubt Taker drives the road anymore. He's probably like Cena, HHH, Orton and Show and has his own bus.

I am betting your head doesn't explode because you don't care about the current product. It will explode if Kawada does a run-in and HELPS HHH break the streak.

I don't care about the current product. But I still hate Trip, and Trip ending The Streak while I'm sitting there watching it would piss me off to no end. :)

John

My big thing is 20-0 sounds like a big number to go out on. 21-0 or 22-0? I don't think it would end on a number not divisible by five, but maybe I'm just retarded.

I kind of agree with that. The other thing to factor in is that The Streak has gotten pretty big in the past few years:

2012: Trip

2011: Trip

2010: Shawn

2009: Shawn

2008: Edge (World Title)

2007: Batista (World Title)

2006: Mark Henry (casket)

2005: Orton

2004: Kane

2003: Show & A-Train

They stepped up with the Edge/Batista matches, then to another level with the Shawn/Trip matches. What does he do to have *5* more matches that are at that level to get to 25-0 (or 24-0 and gunning for 25-0)?

Cena is the obvious one. But beyond that... ? Would Rock be willing to?

I don't know if I expect him to retire at 20-0, but I also don't know if he's got 5 more in him. His wife retired... he's closing in on 50... he's physically a bit of a mess. It's hard to turn down the $$$ if tossed at him, and the buzz of working infront of a big crowd is a major buzz. But does he want to step down into lesser programs/matches, or does he now feel The Streak needs to be fed by big main event / double main event level matches?

John

Few things I wanna say about the Taker and the Streak:

1. I agree that going out 20-0 is ideal, if he is to retire with the streak intact. The thing is, how do they explain the Streak matches no longer continuing? Run a retirement ceremony within the next year? If they don't mention anything, people will be expecting a 21st match.

2. If the streak is to end, it should end this year, but NOT to Triple H. I like the idea of Cena ending it, kicking off a heel turn. It also brings everything full circle as they did a big-time program on Smackdown back in 2003, with the fans becoming Cena fans against Taker while playing a heel, in his first real major program. Pitting a 20-0 Taker against Cena pretty much telegraphs a Cena victory as there is no real sense to send him off with such an odd number, and 20-1 is still amazing a Mania record to retire on.

Figured I'd post this in here.

Two minutes since Raw has been off the air and I've gotten five texts from casual fans, plus one from a fellow hardcore. The unanimous view (which I share) is that Cena destroyed the Rock tonight in their "promo" battle. Rock look flustered as fuck afterward. Really a good segment over all