Pro Wrestling Only

Wrestlemania 28 Thread

goodhelmet

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like Orton v. Kane is going to happen

Orton has had a strange year by his standards. Probably the most over guy in the company this time last year, moved to SD to be the ace of the brand at the same time the show moves to SciFi and gets downgraded even more than it was, ends up putting over long time vets Christian and Mark Henry for the world title, now he's stuck in a throwaway last minute program with Kane, the lowest profile Mania spot he's had in years.

I actually think he's had a great year as a performer and has been really well booked. It's a refreshing change from the Cena/HHH sort of superman babyface ace booking. I think I've liked it because it's been different from the way they portray their lead faces, and they haven't tried to fit Orton into that mold. It's been refreshing, and it's the kind of booking that would never happen with Vince's micromanaging of RAW

I'm really curious to know what their plans were for him a year ago though, and what the other ideas for him and Mania were. The Barrett program had already been blown off on TV, a title chase and rematch with Henry which seemed possible at one point never materialized and they went in a different direction with Bryan

I don't think WWE looks at things like we do. To them, Kane still gets a decent crowd reaction and sells merchandise so to them a match with Orton is a pretty big deal.

It looks like Orton v. Kane is going to happen

Orton has had a strange year by his standards. Probably the most over guy in the company this time last year, moved to SD to be the ace of the brand at the same time the show moves to SciFi and gets downgraded even more than it was, ends up putting over long time vets Christian and Mark Henry for the world title, now he's stuck in a throwaway last minute program with Kane, the lowest profile Mania spot he's had in years.

I actually think he's had a great year as a performer and has been really well booked. It's a refreshing change from the Cena/HHH sort of superman babyface ace booking. I think I've liked it because it's been different from the way they portray their lead faces, and they haven't tried to fit Orton into that mold. It's been refreshing, and it's the kind of booking that would never happen with Vince's micromanaging of RAW

I'm really curious to know what their plans were for him a year ago though, and what the other ideas for him and Mania were. The Barrett program had already been blown off on TV, a title chase and rematch with Henry which seemed possible at one point never materialized and they went in a different direction with Bryan

I think Orton is at the point now where he's over not matter what and is such a good worker that he can really help elevate other guys, or at least get good matches out of them. I can't wait for them to eventually run with an Orton/Bryan feud because i really enjoyed Orton as the house-of-fire babyface extracting his revenge on the stooging Bryan from Smackdown last week.

I don't know how much of this is designed, but Rock's character right now feels like a middle-aged guy trying desperately to be as edgy as he once was, but forgetting what really worked for him back in the day (with respect to his promos). Due to that, his watered-down stuff is looking worse since we're in a different era than his prime was. I don't know if that's a wise route to take as part of the build to "The Biggest Matchup In History" but it certainly feels that way to me.

Dave has the school of thought that instead of elevating Cena to Rock's level, they're bringing Rock down to Cena's level. Is this accurate?

I'd say that's half 100% accurate and half really being kind. (I'd say Rock being called out for having notes written on his wrists is worse than Cena being called out for wearing different sorts of colours all the time.)

The Rock feeds off making fun of guys who are too serious about themselves and when you have someone like Cena who makes fun of himself all the time it really takes the steam off of Rock's schtick. I think Hollywood Rock needs to come back to battle this Cena.

The Rock is working the exact same act from the Attitude Era, and it is getting over with the live crowds for the most part, but it is evident that smart fans and even some non-hardcores find a lot of it lame. Times have changed and the Rock's schtick hasn't

He's a lot different, though. He smiles all the time, which the old Rock never did. He's referring to himself in the 1st person a lot. He doesn't really have any of the edge that he had at his peak, or even for his first promo back in Anaheim last year. The old Rock was about berating and bullying people mostly. His first night back was like the old Rock, but the last few weeks have been more like Hollywood guest star Rock, which is still entertaining but not the same.

smart fans have always been iffy about the Rock. Even In his prime a large portion of the smart fan base couldn't stand him. I used to frequent a lot of boards where he was hated with a passion. Austin was much more popular in that sub group. It's not a deal like Flair where he's universally loved

as an aside to that I see that CRZ is still doing his Rock hating schtick. It's been 14 years man. Yikes.

Yeah, everything I read online is shitting all over the Rock. I'm enjoying his return, even if the feud has turned into some sort of slam poetry battle or sequel to 8 Mile. It's probably because I don't really watch the modern product and am feeling nostalgic about having the Rock back on my TV.

Edit: Is part of the hate because the Rock's segments are so damn long? Back in the day, his promos might've had more bite because they were just that, promos. They were to the point and got across what needed getting across. Now when the Rock comes on TV it's for an entire segment, usually the longest segment of the show.

I think over-exposure is part of it CFC.

Also when a 30 year old guy is cutting promos about pie, tang and asses... acceptable. 40 year old man cutting the same promo? Lame.

Yeah, while this may be true of how people talk/are percieved irl I don't think most people care about how old Rock is or are overly concerned with him not referring to himself in the third person enough or whatever. I think the online perception of Rock as outclassed or evenly matched on the stick has very little to do with him having lost a step and everything to do with Cena being an internet cause celebre whose exposure at being terrible at a fundamental part of the game like cutting promos is causing brains to short circuit given how badly it gels with the wrestling geek narrative of the past eight years.

Flair had a much more conversational style in lots of his older promos. I showed the segment where Lawler challenged him for the belt in Memphis to some younger fans, and they were shocked at how different Ric sounded there. He'd often go all "wild crazy Wooo-ing Flair" in his fired-up postmatch interviews, but prematch and studio stuff had him in a much lower key.

Beth/Eve v Kelly Kelly/Maria Menounos has been added

i was wondering how they would fit these angles on the card with no one really feuding over the title. So they just put this together. Menounos is a huge fan so i really don't have a problem with her taking someone's spot