Pro Wrestling Only

Wrestlemania 28 Thread

goodhelmet

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Until I googled them just now I had no clue who either Maria Menounos or Mary Hart were.....

Menounos I'll give ya.. (And she actually is a fan and did well in the one match she was in on RAW)...

But you actually never heard of Mary Hart? The legs? The Seinfeld reference? Being a star on TV before there were 987 channels?

Until I googled them just now I had no clue who either Maria Menounos or Mary Hart were.....

Menounos I'll give ya.. (And she actually is a fan and did well in the one match she was in on RAW)...

But you actually never heard of Mary Hart? The legs? The Seinfeld reference? Being a star on TV before there were 987 channels?

Let alone her presence at WrestleMania III

• 2 weeks later...

To add to Kris's thread, he manes Dave Batista, not Meltzer :)

Anyway, stoked for this weekend. ROH will be ROH. Not excited at all for the show especially knowing I am not getting any sleep since I have to catch a 5:30 am flight and I am fighting killer allergies right now.

I was at the first DGUSA show and had enough fun that I am looking forward to the show. Granted, no Dragon Kid and Cima is hurt but I get to see Sami Callahan and a six man tag. Thumbs up.

Sunday, Baker and I are going to kill some time at Axcess and hit Mania that night. I'll throw up a report sometime on Monday inbetween flights.

Jerry Lawler did an interview with the Miami Herald recently.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/03/28/2720...wwe-jungle.html

He mostly tows the company line, but there is an interesting quote in the piece.

“Honestly, I’m not trying to blow my own horn, because I feel lucky moreso than anything,” Lawler said, “but [WWE CEO/Chairman] Vince McMahon once told me, ‘I think you’re the most all-around talented guy I’d ever met in this industry.’ Then he explained, ‘You’ve done everything and done everything well. You’ve owned a wrestling company. You started out as a referee. You’ve wrestled. You’ve booked. You’ve done payrolls. You’ve done commentary. You still wrestle.’

I've never really thought of it that way. But it's pretty much true, isn't it?

He mostly tows the company line, but there is an interesting quote in the piece.

“Honestly, I’m not trying to blow my own horn, because I feel lucky moreso than anything,” Lawler said, “but [WWE CEO/Chairman] Vince McMahon once told me, ‘I think you’re the most all-around talented guy I’d ever met in this industry.’ Then he explained, ‘You’ve done everything and done everything well. You’ve owned a wrestling company. You started out as a referee. You’ve wrestled. You’ve booked. You’ve done payrolls. You’ve done commentary. You still wrestle.’

Dusty did a lot of that stuff (AND did a lot of developmental work) but bigger.

I just think it's amazing that he has been with the company as long as he has, on top of doing all that before he ever appeared on WWE television. Anybody else likely wouldn't have lasted as long, either warranting a firing or going off on his own to start a new company. Even more amazing than that to me, is that now I can see him as a great announcer. I genuinely didn't like his commentating up until he started to become a tweener about a decade ago. When he started to call things more down the middle, his voice changed from that kind of squeal he did for much of the 90's.

Dusty did a lot of that stuff (AND did a lot of developmental work) but bigger.

Did Dusty ever actually own a company?

And I'd say Lawler did a better job staying over with his audience.

When did Lawler ref?

The story I always heard him tell was he knew a guy working on an outlaw indy show and they conned the promoter into thinking he was trained when he wasn't and kept getting booked because he could give their shows free pub on his local radio show.

• 2 weeks later...

WWE announced that WrestleMania XXVIII, held April 1 at Sun Life Stadium in Miami, set new records for pay-per-view buys and gross sales.

Preliminary estimates show that WrestleMania, featuring the historic “Once in a Lifetime” Match between The Rock and John Cena, garnered 1.3 million pay-per-view buys with global gross sales in excess of $67 million including the live event.