Pro Wrestling Only

Comparing men and women as wrestlers

goodhelmet

I want to say that alot of the AJW girls during the peak recruiting years could probably compete with average height men. Girls like Toyota, Mita and Shimoda are quite tall. Mita appears to be almost 6 feet and she really dwarfed me in person. Say what you will, but I'd take my chances elsewhere. And let me tell you, after meeting Chigusa in person, she would be one of the last people I would ever test.

What's strange is that I didn't feel they were all that tall back in 1995 & 1996 when I was backstage. I'm 5-3. Perhaps some of it was that I didn't feel they were very "large" relative to all the other wrestlers I'd been around through the years, and with wrestlers a big chunk of that is more weight and size rather than just height.

John

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to say that alot of the AJW girls during the peak recruiting years could probably compete with average height men. Girls like Toyota, Mita and Shimoda are quite tall. Mita appears to be almost 6 feet and she really dwarfed me in person. Say what you will, but I'd take my chances elsewhere. And let me tell you, after meeting Chigusa in person, she would be one of the last people I would ever test.

What's strange is that I didn't feel they were all that tall back in 1995 & 1996 when I was backstage. I'm 5-3. Perhaps some of it was that I didn't feel they were very "large" relative to all the other wrestlers I'd been around through the years, and with wrestlers a big chunk of that is more weight and size rather than just height.

John

Remember now that I met them in 2011. Not being rude here, but unless we are talking Takako(who may be thinner), almost all of the girls are heavier than they used to be. Most of the girls are around the 5'8-5'9 mark.

AJW did have a size fetish, but all promotions do. It's part of the "a tall person is stronger than a small person" thing. You can tell the difference in my pics as to when there were less tall people around as I dwarf almost everyone post 1990.

Again, I'm a short guy at 5-3. Been use to being the short guy all the way back to elementary. Two of my current best buds are 6+... the four attorneys I work for are all tall (the two males are 6+, the two women are tall with one just shy of 6). I've always dated taller women. I just didn't get the sense that any of the AJW girls were unusually tall compared to typical women, and certainly not all that large (other than Aja/Bull/Reggie... probably Kyoko, though she doesn't stick out in my mind backstage). Even Hotta who was "largish" in the ring in 1995-96 didn't come across as huge backstage in street clothes: I was regularly around women who were taller and bigger without being "fat" but just kind of large boned/bodied, which is what Hotta was relative to say Kyko.

Like I say, it's probably a perspective thing. I was use to larger wrestlers backstage by that point: guys. It was more noticeable when wrestlers were small: lucha guys like Rey and Juvi were closer to my size. The Joshi wrestlers just struck me as Women.

In fact, it struck me more what amazing shape Jaguar was in backstage than how tall she was. :)

John