Pro Wrestling Only

[1994-01-03-WWF-Raw] Interview: Lex Luger

Loss

• 1 month later...

Vince interviews Luger in an empty arena. This is where Bryan Alvarez would make a joke that this is all of the fans that bought a ticket to see Lex wrestle. AMIRITE. Anyway, Luger, 2008 Hillary Clinton hairstyle and all, wants in the Royal Rumble, but is getting some roadblocks from Yokozuna's camp based on the Summerslam '93 stipulations. Jack Tunney will be making a decision soon.

Can you imagine any stipulations from four months ago being remembered and the central focus of an angle now? Me neither.

• 4 weeks later...

Enjoyed seeing the callback to Summerslam. One wonders why they painted themselves in a corner with that stipulation anyway, they should have just said if Lex loses the match he wont get another shot since that would have provided an escape for him winning by countout. Lex does a decent job of stating his case.

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

Yokozuna has lodged another protest, this time to prevent Luger from entering the Royal Rumble due to his one-title-shot stipulation. Tunney will rule on that in the coming week. Another happy-go-lucky babyface promo with Vince slobbering, praying and hoping that Lex is allowed entry.

• 3 years later...

Luger comes off as the typical athlete refusing to let the world get in the way of his positive vibes. It's disingenuous when football and baseball players do it, and it's disingenuous here too.

Vince doesn't ask him just how he'll deal with not being allowed in the Rumble, and that's a shame because I wanted to hear Lex say, "Hit everyone I can think of with my loaded forearm, and you're first, pal!"

I applaud Vince for his attention to detail here in bringing up the stip from SummerSlam, but no one over the age of five actually believed that Luger was being left out, I hope. I'd rather have heard him announced as officially in and heard Corny throw a fit over it.

Based on the crowd reaction I heard for Luger at the Superstar of the Year ceremony for Bret, I have a feeling that not too many of the "votes" he got were legit. Vince can keep throwing Old Glory in our faces all he wants when it comes to Luger, but America isn't buying. You had your chance in August, Vince, and you spat in its face.

• GSR changed the title to [1994-01-03-WWF-Raw] Interview: Lex Luger