Pro Wrestling Only

[1994-01-15-WWF-Superstars] Update: Owen's not happy!

Loss

• 1 month later...

Bret and Owen react to the tag titles not being on the line at the Royal Rumble. Bret is congratulatory while Owen sees it a different way. Bret says for the rest of his career, he wants to move to the tag ranks and team with Owen exclusively. They really wanted to make it crystal clear that Owen was going to turn on Bret at the Rumble.

Johnny Polo and the Quebecers are excited about their return match at MSG on Monday night. Kid and Marty are on top of the world. In 2012, this would result in a triple threat match at the PPV, planned turn be damned.

Heh, I actually remember this promo and the one where Owen & Bret were excited after they learned it would be a title shot after all and promised to give all the teams in the WWF title shots.

I didn't see the turn coming at all myself, watching live I tought for sure they'd win the belts.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know what is worse, Shawn's pose on the WWF magazine or Gorillas tie here. The Harts promo is really good and I am loving this build to the turn. Having a brother, I can seem some similarities in that resentment does build over things. The Quebecs and Johnny Polo like to yell a lot.

• 1 year later...

Gorilla makes sure to inform us that HE wasn't surprised by Kid & Jannetty winning the tag belts--THAT WASN'T HOW YOU CAME OFF DURING THE HEADSHRINKERS MATCH, MONSOON. *cough* Bret is nonplussed by this development but Owen is pouty. I like that Owen is more disappointed than angry and shouting about this--sets up a split between the two without telegraphing it. Hype for a tag title rematch this coming Monday, in a non-televised house show at The Omni Madison Square Garden. This is definitely very non-WWF booking, with quick title turnarounds and singles wrestlers holding tag belts and rematch clauses and lip service paid to house shows, reminiscent of the house show switches from the previous June.

• 3 years later...

At least ​we'll ​get to see the MSG match!

Seriously, if that wasn't shouting "TITLE CHANGE!" from the rooftops, I don't know what was. Between that and the fact that the belts had to be on the line at the Rumble to get the maximum juice out of Owen's turn, it's obvious that Waltman and Jannetty weren't long for this world as champs.

Bret's promo was good, but they overdid it when he promised to tag with Owen exclusively for the rest of his career. I wouldn't have believed that if I was the densest mark on earth, especially since Owen looked as excited by that news as he would have been by the news that his house had burned to the ground with everything he owned inside. Even when Vince tries to be subtle with his booking, it just doesn't come off. I almost wish they'd had been screaming threats at each other since Survivor Series.

I don't know what to make of Levy as a manager. He hit all the right heel notes, but his heart didn't seem to be in his work. I've heard that he wanted to wrestle in the WWF, not manage, so that might be the reason he seemed a bit listless here despite the volume he projected. Jacques stank with the screaming, and as far as Pierre goes, what can you tell from "AHHHHHH!"?

Marty might have been the best of everyone in the segment, as he came off as happy and confident in his and Waltman's ability to remain champions. Sean was a bit understated here, but he's playing a green kid, so that's about what's expected.

I can't wait to actually see the matches!

• GSR changed the title to [1994-01-15-WWF-Superstars] Update: Owen's not happy!