Pro Wrestling Only

[1994-01-17-WWF-MSG, NY] 1-2-3 Kid & Marty Jannetty vs The Quebecers

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

This match is really good. I like it a lot more than either of the other Kid/Jannetty matches (not that I dislike those ones). There are a bunch of hope spots, mostly when Jannetty's in there, and they're all compelling and convincing. The heat segment for the RAW match was just the Quebecers doing their cool moves; here, it's all about Jannetty fighting to make the tag. Maybe that's just the difference between Jannetty being in there and the Kid being in there.

Nice, long house show match. I enjoyed the TV title change, but this is given more time and has more house show-type stuff like playing to the crowd and extended heat building, so I favor this one too, just like Gregor. The early shine stuff was worked really well. I think they stretched out Jannetty building to the hot tag a little long, as I started losing interest. And the finish made a fresh Kid look too beatable, but this was still really good. Not aggressive enough to be a great match, but a super fun one. Kid and Jannetty had quite the week.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with Loss that the Jannetty FIP segment had about reached its limit but this was still a fantastic match. All of the hope spots were excellent and the heat that the Quebecer's generated was impressive. Kid got obilterated in two moves which I agree was a faulty decision but at least they were fairly devastating ones. All in all though a fun and exciting house show tag.

This was really good and made me wish they would have had a long tag title match at WM. That would have really solidified the card along with the two classic matches and the feel good moment at the end. The Quebecers are always real good at letting the babyfaces shine in the beginning with their bumping and bail out spots. I thought Kid looked worse and more sloppy here than in any of the other matches but Marty more than made up for it by being a bump freak. Loved how the heat segment originated with the sequence that won Kid and Jannetty the belts. It was also refreshing to see a heel team go over so cleanly in the end. Really good match overall.

• 10 months later...

I really liked this match. I liked how the shine was kept pretty minimal but had some really flashy stuff that stood out so it made it seem more distinct without turning into heel in peril territory. I liked how there was a double FIP. Kid and Marty made the Quebecers look like a thousand bucks. I'm okay with the Marty FIP because they really fill it with a lot of good hope spots and somehow they're more effective due to the relative brevity of the Kid FIP if that makes sense. I think the match is plenty heated due to the natural dickishness of the Quebecers which comes through in their offense and the fire of Kid and Jannetty. Maybe the hope spots are layered a bit unevenly. That'd be my only criticism. They come frequently early on with Jannetty and then taper out for a while, but that actually makes sense as he's picking up damage. Then it really picks up again. There's basically three acts to the Marty FIP and that's kind of cool even if probably unintentional. Great hot tag with the crowd coming unglued. Kid was great in his role.

You get feeling from how the heels dominate throughout the match, especially with the lack of HIP that the heels are going to lose, too. Jannetty's presence right before the finish was a little weird. He should have kept on selling the impact of the beating or something. Or gotten taken out by a cheap shot. That's the only thing which really hurts the match for me. Very good.

• 10 months later...

With the exception of Bret vs. Lawler, which is hard to rate as a traditional match, I liked this better than any 1993 WWF match. They added a ton of new spots that they didn't do on Raw, especially during the opening babyface shine (love that double-plancha thing with all 3 heels catching Kid only to get wiped out by Jannetty), and they teased us with a few repeat spots like Jannetty & Kid doing their tag finisher. Maybe the FIP runs a tad long, but generally and especially in the WWF I think erring a bit long on that is better than erring short. Kid's house-afire sequence is incredible, and while the cut-off is sudden it's certainly effective--between Polo crotching him on the post and eating a superplex followed by the Tower finisher, you can buy that the Kid is killed dead. Easily the best "straight" tag of January so far. This is quite the hot run for both teams.

• 3 years later...

To call this a Quebecers squash would be unfair, but they were the much better overall team in my book and deserved to go over as forcefully as they did. Waltman and Jannetty looked like what they were: two singles wrestlers who got a tag team title reign by being in the right place at the right time. They certainly weren't a more coordinated team, or even very much of a team at all, occasional flashy doubleteam aside. Even Levy added to the proceedings with his prolonged distractions, which he kept up until he was sure his team was back in control.

Marty took a great beating, and the length of his FIP segment didn't really bother me. What did ​bother me was the Robert Gibson crybaby routine from Waltman every time Marty was breathed on wrong. I know it's a staple spot, and if kept brief it's a great way to get the faces over as fiery competitors. But if it goes on too long, the offending partner looks like an idiot for not backing off and letting the ref get back to the match. Gibson was notorious for dragging this spot out too long; that's why I named it after him. But he had Ricky Morton selling for his team, which makes it almost forgivable. Waltman had Jannetty, who isn't Ricky Morton by a damn sight. Ergo, Waltman looked like a stupid overemotional rookie who was too busy whining to see that his partner was getting eaten alive.

I'm not sure we really needed le bomb de Quebec ​or whatever they're calling that finisher nowadays; Pierre put everything he had behind that superplex, and it looked devastating. I thought they might actually have Waltman do a stretcher job, but they didn't.

Did Waltman and Jannetty ever team after this? If they did, it certainly wasn't on a regular basis, which is kind of a shame. They looked great in their title win and against the Shrinkers, and they almost certainly would have made better champions than Men on a Mission.

• 1 month later...

WWF World Tag CHAMPS Marty Jannetty & 1-2-3 Kid vs Quebecers -WWF MSG 1/17/94

Had more of a feel of those classic Rockers vs Rougeaus match. Lots of fun BS at the beginning that's missing from today's wrestling. The Quebecers welcoming the babyfaces to soak in the adulation from the fans only to attack was great and then of course the good guys turn the tide on the French Canadians. Loved it! Jacques doing his chicken gimmick was great. Lots of Quebecers attacking but setting themselves up to be made fools of was great. Short Kid FIP based on pulling down top rope. Quebecers have such better offense than Rougeaus. They could have been WWF MX of the 90s. Pierre misses the leg drop. Marty house afire even POLO gets hit. Marty gets blasted on an OConnor to start his FIP. Fantastic heat segment on Marty. It is all built around Marty being so close but yet so far. He gets so many opportunities to tag but can't complete it. Lots of good testicular humor. Loved Marty firing off with Jacques only to be back dropped over the top rope. He got some serious hangtime on that back body drop. Quebecers had some great offense as well. Really built the tension of when the tag would happen. Once it did Kid was a good house afire with spinning heel kicks for everyone but he forgot Johnny Polo who knocks him off top. Superplex and CANONBALL!!! Quebecers recover the titles.

Fantastic old school Southern tag. Maybe the best non-Bret, non-Shawn WWF match of 93-97. Great tag team fundamentals. ****

• GSR changed the title to [1994-01-17-WWF-MSG, NY] 1-2-3 Kid & Marty Jannetty vs The Quebecers